Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should GM be bailed out, yes or no?
yes, bail them out 44 22.22%
no, do not bail them out 154 77.78%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,294,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
They say, "we don't want a hand out, we just want a hand." Let them reorganize and fix it themselves.
Ford doesn't need any money according to Mulally in his testimony! They just want a pocket to dip into should the economy deteriorate further, which then they would need help. Ford thinks they will be fine and get through this. Good job Ford... They HAVE fixed things themselves.

GM and DAI... different story. F was way ahead of the game and started their retooling and reorganization a year or more before GM and DAI thought about it. The economic melt down just exposed their weakness and put pressure on their plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,243,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Oh man, Auto Bailout: Auto CEOs Flew Private Jets To Washington To Ask For Your Tax Money (http://consumerist.com/5093070/auto-ceos-flew-private-jets-to-washington-to-ask-for-your-tax-money - broken link)
Corporations have corporate jets. Are you surprised that the top execs actually used something like this to go to an extremely important meeting with congress? Ever wonder how senators get around? They don't fly economy class with AA I'll tell you that.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Corporations have corporate jets. Are you surprised that the top execs actually used something like this to go to an extremely important meeting with congress? Ever wonder how senators get around? They don't fly economy class with AA I'll tell you that.
And who came up with the $20,000.00 price tag to fly from Detroit to DC ?

I think these news people need to go take a simple math class !

Old 11-19-2008, 02:22 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,243,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
And who came up with the $20,000.00 price tag to fly from Detroit to DC ?

I think these news people need to go take a simple math class !
It's a high figure but I'd put it closer to $15k. The hop from Detroit to DC would probably take less than an hour by corporate jet. And figures for the cost per flight hour are a little fuzzy because there are quite a few variables. But I'd estimate $6000 - $7500/flt-hr for GM's Gulstream V.

The congressmen have a point when they ask them if they couldn't have 'jet pooled'. A Gulfstream V could easily support the three execs the second in command and an assistant for each of them.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:16 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,917,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Oh man, Auto Bailout: Auto CEOs Flew Private Jets To Washington To Ask For Your Tax Money (http://consumerist.com/5093070/auto-ceos-flew-private-jets-to-washington-to-ask-for-your-tax-money - broken link)
This tells me everything I need to know about these a-holes. It doesn't matter about cost it's about perception. Seriously, are they that clueless they think flying a private jet wouldn't raise eyebrows. Sit your fat ass in a coach seat and be glad you may still have a job. Their behavior is just as pathetic as their cars.

Last edited by Obrero; 11-19-2008 at 04:29 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
But I'd estimate $6000 - $7500/flt-hr for GM's Gulstream V.
I don't see it...

Anyway, I didn't hear any of them say they actually flew in a private jet in their testimony, only implied by a Senator. Even though they did and didn't acknowledge it, that looks really bad under the circumstances.

Hell, I would have made sure to drive up in an old ass ride, park it on the lawn in front of the building, arrived late and said... sorry about being late, it was a longer trip than I anticipated driving from motor city. Sort of like the ride Buck Russel drove in the movie Uncle Buck .

Old 11-19-2008, 04:18 PM

707 posts, read 1,290,962 times
They should have drove the 8 hours to DC in one of their cars. Or are they afraid they might not make it? This is another fine example of how they pee away money.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,917,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
I don't see it...

Anyway, I didn't hear any of them say they actually flew in a private jet in their testimony, only implied by a Senator. Even though they did and didn't acknowledge it, that looks really bad under the circumstances.

Hell, I would have made sure to drive up in an old ass ride, park it on the lawn in front of the building, arrived late and said... sorry about being late, it was a longer trip than I anticipated driving from motor city. Sort of like the ride Buck Russel drove in the movie Uncle Buck .
Oh they flew.....private jets. Here is the video to prove it. They are so clueless....I could vomit.

ABC News: Big Three CEOs Flew Private Jets to Plead for Public Funds

Old 11-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Oh they flew.....private jets. Here is the video to prove it. They are so clueless....I could vomit.

ABC News: Big Three CEOs Flew Private Jets to Plead for Public Funds
Yep... just a matter of time before a news source got hold of a paparazzi vid.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:07 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,970,463 times
GM is asking for LOAN, not a bailout. I'm wondering for people who say not to give it to them, are you prepared for the fallout? Loss of jobs? The ripple effect will be of great magnitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics