Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times

Advertisements

I certainly don't *need* a second job, but I recently did print the outside activity approval application form (my company has to approve of any money-generating activities other than minor gambling and minor eBay). I haven't filled it out yet. I was thinking of looking into a weekend position at Home Depot or something like that, as a bit of insurance and a little extra money. I don't know if I could get the second job approved by my company but I may fill it out this week and submit it and see what comes of it. If I'm approved I may throw my resume/application at some of the dozens of retail places on the main road here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
No second job, but I do rent out two spare bedrooms in my house. That's more related to the fact that I haven't been out of school long, live close to the university and my roomates are still going to school so it's not a big change in how I'm living.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,047,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_critic View Post
Due to falling wages, higher expectations, and rising prices, many people I know do not make enough money in their current full time job to survive, so they need to do things that will allow them to make extra money.

Most everyone works a second job in the evenings and weekends or have a small sidelight business.

Do you have a second job? If so, what do you do? Do you have a small business or system to make extra money in the evenings and weekends? If so, what do you do?
Yes, I am a Paramedic/EMT instructor at the local fire academy. I work about 10 hours a week

Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
I work freelance and never turn down a job, consequently I work all the time. Don't make much money though! And I'm tired and worn out always.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Back to the post where I said the trick to life was staying out of debt...

I only work one job but make enough to live relatively comfortable and take care of the one teen I still have living at home. I was always adamant about not living on credit cards or getting into debt (other than housing) and it sure has served me well. As a single mom we didn't go on a lot of fancy vacations or buy the latest stuff in the stores, but now all I have to worry about is regular household expenses which I can easily do with only one income.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:33 PM

193 posts, read 407,820 times
My wife & I both have 2nd jobs because we have 2 in college & we were married early & got a late start on college savings. Another reason is that we do not want our kids heavily in debt after college & hope that they will learn from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics