U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 08:15 AM

520 posts, read 2,252,504 times

Advertisements

what are the best credit cards for rewards? i currently have a paypal mastercard that gives points for purchases and can be redeemed for a paypal coupon. i think it gives 1%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,352,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
what are the best credit cards for rewards? i currently have a paypal mastercard that gives points for purchases and can be redeemed for a paypal coupon. i think it gives 1%.
Depends on what you are looking for, but here's some that I know of:

Chase has a rewards card that offers 3% back on the 3 categories you spend most on during the month, so say you spend most on gas, groceries and drug stores, you'll get 3% back on those categories.

Citi Dividend card offers 2% back on gas, supermarkets, drug stores & utilities, 1% on everything else.

Discover More offers 5% back on various categories throughout the year that change quarterly, but only .25 - 1% back on everything else. For instance, one quarter they might give you 5% back on gas and travel, the next quarter it might be restuarants and supermarkets.

Also, most gas cards offer 5% back on gas at their gas station (BP, Shell, Marathon to name a few) and will give 1% back on everything else. I think I saw that the BP card gives 2% back as well on restaurants & entertainment.

I think there are web-sites out there that list all the details, these are the one's I know of or have seen advertised and have looked into some of them myself.

Just make sure you pay the balance in full every month, or the rewards you earn will be outweighed by the higher interest rate you'll pay on your balance since rewards cards tend to have higher rates than regular credit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or