Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If a local store closes, you can use the chain's gift card for online purchases.

snopes.com: Store Closings
THANKS! That confirms what I thought. ONLY a FEW stores are closing for most of those. WHEW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I agree with you.

From your human side of this . . . . Is there any chance folks in these types situations will choose to something else that is useful and productive Before the boat sinks from under them?
Yeah. When you have 5 kids (Dillard's guy) you have to do what you can to feed them.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
It is sad, all these store closings but isn't it also because of not a very good way the companies run their companies. Some companies just opened to many stores too close to each other or didn't had the best stuff to sell and were stuck with it, or it was too expensive. And of course people bought too much on credit card that the never could pay off, just to show off to their neighbors or the people at work, or at Christmas when they wanted the bigger gifts for their kids to show off to their family or friends.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If a local store closes, you can use the chain's gift card for online purchases.
Not all online stores will allow you to use gift cards. My sister received a $50 gift card to Linens and Things late September. I was discussing the business going bankrupt, store closings etc and mentioned the store and she was not even aware the stores around the KC area where we live are closing - many are already closed. I told her she needed to use it ASAP.

Anyway, all the stores in this area are now closed so she went on-line and tried to use her gift card and couldn't. She sent the gift card to our mom in Wichita - where there are still some stores open and mom was able to use it and get stuff - but the stores are closing there and stuff was picked over.

I think it depends how close the store is to going bankrupt/closing all it's stores etc. Technical, when I store files for bankruptcy, gift cards are considered and asset and can be property of the court and therefore, useless.

For companies that are just closing the less productive stores, then on-line shopping with gift cards isn't an issue.

I personally would be very cautious about giving gift cards and although I have loved them in the past, do not want to have to worry about if they are good or not.

I think the holiday season is going to make or break a lot of retailers!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,239,912 times
Well I just saw on a commercial this morning that Linen and Things is having a liquidation sale and is going out of business, so I would at least say that store will be history.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:14 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,658,831 times
Here in Knoxville, J.C. Penney's is building a big new store and Best Buy is building two new ones. There are rumors that Costco is coming.
The Circuit City here isn't closing. None of the Dillards are closing.
Parking lots are full and most places have "help wanted" signs out.
Cost of gas has dropped dramatically ($1.70 a gallon for regular) which should perk up buying even more.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Well I just saw on a commercial this morning that Linen and Things is having a liquidation sale and is going out of business, so I would at least say that store will be history.

Yes, I know that one is closing ALL of their stores. I was just finding it hard to beleive this email that said ALL of those stores were closing EVERY STORE! I knew that could not be true.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I have two neighbors in my cul–de–sac. One is a General Manager at Dillard's and the other is a General Manager at JCPenny. They're good people and I hope they don't lose their jobs. Between them they have seven kids. Before you folks say "good riddance" I think you need to think about the human side of this. People work at these stores who have families that depend on their income....some may be your friends and neighbors.
Agreed. Their are some stores that I think need to go. However, there are countless others that I would hate to see shuttered. This credit crisis is just a ripple affect - so who's next? Those that say "good riddance" are not looking at what this means long term and probably member of the popular D&G club.

This affects many lives and is nothing to joke about!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:48 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasChick View Post
Not all online stores will allow you to use gift cards. My sister received a $50 gift card to Linens and Things late September. I was discussing the business going bankrupt, store closings etc and mentioned the store and she was not even aware the stores around the KC area where we live are closing - many are already closed. I told her she needed to use it ASAP.

Anyway, all the stores in this area are now closed so she went on-line and tried to use her gift card and couldn't. She sent the gift card to our mom in Wichita - where there are still some stores open and mom was able to use it and get stuff - but the stores are closing there and stuff was picked over.

I think it depends how close the store is to going bankrupt/closing all it's stores etc. Technical, when I store files for bankruptcy, gift cards are considered and asset and can be property of the court and therefore, useless.

For companies that are just closing the less productive stores, then on-line shopping with gift cards isn't an issue.

I personally would be very cautious about giving gift cards and although I have loved them in the past, do not want to have to worry about if they are good or not.

I think the holiday season is going to make or break a lot of retailers!
Makes you wonder what to give for Christmas gifts.

Understandably, store specific gift cards are going to be dicey at best. Didn't his happen at Sharper Image stores last year when folks were told their gift cards were no good, then told it was okay to use the IF they spent OVER what the GC was worth?

So what if any store is going to be a safe store to purchase an actual gift. A sweater perhaps. Say that sweater needs to be returned - will that retailer be taking returns.

Lots of questions to ask retailers when shopping this Holiday. Even then, do you trust the information your getting?

Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post

This affects many lives and is nothing to joke about!
The serious people on this forum are definitely not joking, including the one who posted about the need to learn new skills to shift into something more productive. The fact is that while a necessary component of any economy, retail and consumption in general has simply taken up too great a share. Retailers going out of business is simply a fact of this period of economic adjustment that will eventually be referred to as either a recession or depression. The best thing that anyone in retail can do is to be an obvious asset for the company he works for by working harder or more effectively. If someone can tell that things are not going well for the business as a whole, than he needs to be thinking immediately how his skills/knowledge can be put to use in ways that are profitable. If necessary, he needs to learn new skills. This is absolutely not the time for complacency for people whose livelihood depends on other people's consumption of non-essential goods and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics