Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

Has anyone run into this situation before?

One of my clients filed to much income on my 1099. They told me they had fixed it, but apparently, did not file the correct forms with the IRS.

Now the IRS wants me to pay them $800 in 30 days.

What should I do? Pay the IRS first and argue later?

Thanks,

Woofers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 01:07 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Has anyone run into this situation before?

One of my clients filed to much income on my 1099. They told me they had fixed it, but apparently, did not file the correct forms with the IRS.

Now the IRS wants me to pay them $800 in 30 days.

What should I do? Pay the IRS first and argue later?

Thanks,

Woofers
Did you get a copy of the correct form? ANd have you called the IRS to see if they have received it?

Old 11-29-2008, 02:45 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
The IRS site is really user friendly if you want to goof around on it for direct answers or needed forms.
Here is the form you are supposed to use:
www.qbalance.com/download/ (broken link)1099C.pdf (Note: PDF file)

Old 11-29-2008, 04:30 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Hey Woofers--

This has happened to me twice. I wrote the IRS, explained the situation, then had the company send me a revised 1099. I mailed the corrected 1099 to the IRS with a copy of my first letter and a follow-up letter, and that was that. Well, once I had to mail the follow-up letter twice, since the IRS misplaced the first one.

That's what I would do if I was sure I was right. If there's a discrepancy about the amount, I would send the IRS a check, along with a letter stating that the amount is in dispute and you're working on correcting it. Then you'll have to file an amended return with the correct amount.

Good luck! Dealing with multiple 1099s is a pain, but I'm sure it'll all turn out fine.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:40 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Hey Woofers--

This has happened to me twice. I wrote the IRS, explained the situation, then had the company send me a revised 1099. I mailed the corrected 1099 to the IRS with a copy of my first letter and a follow-up letter, and that was that. Well, once I had to mail the follow-up letter twice, since the IRS misplaced the first one.

That's what I would do if I was sure I was right. If there's a discrepancy about the amount, I would send the IRS a check, along with a letter stating that the amount is in dispute and you're working on correcting it. Then you'll have to file an amended return with the correct amount.

Good luck! Dealing with multiple 1099s is a pain, but I'm sure it'll all turn out fine.
Goodbye,

I track my income very carefully. I know exactly how much I make and where it goes. It was the client's mistake.

I will send in the money with a letter telling them the amount is in dispute, and hopefully, they will refund me eventually.

Thanks,

Woofers

Old 11-30-2008, 12:17 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Goodbye,

I track my income very carefully. I know exactly how much I make and where it goes. It was the client's mistake.

I will send in the money with a letter telling them the amount is in dispute, and hopefully, they will refund me eventually.

Thanks,

Woofers
Send it registered mail with a return receipt. I think it's $5.70 to do so, but you'll have proof that you sent it. Write down the serial number on a copy of the correspondence you send in that particular envelope and even reference it inside the letter. Just in case.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:53 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Quote:
Goodbye,

Thanks,

Woofers
I don't think you'll have any trouble. I have always found the IRS to remedy any mistakes very quickly, once you present the evidence. I usually have more trouble getting the client to take the time to correct the mistake! But I know you'll come out on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics