Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss cali View Post
I also heard, again this is just a rumor, that prison guards will get a greater pay cut. They will get paid for four days a week but work five.

I guess we will see in the next couple weeks.
That smacks of communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 01:15 AM

46 posts, read 126,904 times
70Ford, Concert? Please educate me? Is this part of the state?

Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 AM

46 posts, read 126,904 times
This thread should really be transfered to the California Board.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,915,856 times
besides the overspending of budgets, you have to keep in mind, money they collect in taxes has to be spent or they have to return it. so they try to spend it all to the T. obviously they never thought that so many people would be foreclosing and not paying property taxes this year. this is a prime example of our federal government at a local level. this is the core of the republicans. less spending, less government. as you can see jobs are not created the obama way with more government. when the money runs out, EVERYONE has to suffer.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:24 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Cutting back on the much-abused entitlement programs would help. Go to the ER sometime and wait for hours behind all the kids with sniffles, whose parents bring them there because it's free and a doctor visit or cold medicine would cost money. Spend one hour in an LA classroom and see how many children can't speak English and how many resources it takes to teach them, then wonder why you're paying so much for your child to learn so little. Look at all the uninsured, unregistered drivers on the road and realize how much they contribute to the smog, wear and tear and UMI without helping fund improvements. Consider all the services performed for cash by invisible people who don't pay a penny in taxes.

CA is a great place to live, but there are too many takers and not enough givers. Then there are all the elected officials using taxpayer dollars to repair their personal cars, etc., etc. Intervention will be useless without change.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If only CA would have restricted the fleeing of real estate equity 30 yrs ago, and required all but the national average home value be left in CA.... They (CA) would have plenty of money today, and the rest of us in surrounding regions would not be be paying zillions in property taxes due to artificially inflated values.
Or
they could have exported Prop 13 I now spend 10x on property taxes, what I do on food.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Last I looked, California only got 80% back in Federal Spending from what they sent in.

One of the lowest returns of any of the "several states."

In truth -- the rest of US are all leaching off California.

If California could cut loose US, they would be doing fine.

This site tracks the various returns over the last 20+ years for all the states

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005

Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
I disagree; all eyes are on Arnie as he asks for his bailout...to see if the rest of us will be living in bailout states too because if they give california a bailout, the rest will be waiting with their hands out too.

Pretty soon the debt will be owed by our GREAT grandkids.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Because States that have no money don't have anything to do with business? What? This is a glimpse of the horror that is yet to come.

Quote:
70Ford, Concert? Please educate me? Is this part of the state?
No. Concert was a company that had no foresight and was mismanaged to death. They had a serious problem with payroll... which caused people to leave en masse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy

Old 12-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Last I looked, California only got 80% back in Federal Spending from what they sent in.

One of the lowest returns of any of the "several states."

In truth -- the rest of US are all leaching off California.

If California could cut loose US, they would be doing fine.

This site tracks the various returns over the last 20+ years for all the states

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005
I dunno. I think California depends on the U.S. to make California what California is. I think my hand is great. If I cut off my hand, it's not so great now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics