Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,071,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
A real stock market crash would send the sheeple into panic. The government isn't going to let that happen. If they don't believe there is a price to pay for all of this, they are dead wrong. My guess is that the elite are buying a little more time to make their last second preperations before they let the peasants drown.

...or just Gulfstream Vs???

I mean come on, the "elite" have to roll their limos down the same streets clogged with stick wielding proletariats, don't they?

Storm the Co-ops! To arms! To arms!

dear me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,203,565 times
The market always turns up 6 months before the economy does, so an increasing stock market even with a bad economy might be a sign that a recovery is around the corner.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,282,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The market always turns up 6 months before the economy does, so an increasing stock market even with a bad economy might be a sign that a recovery is around the corner.
Exactly!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,776,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I think there is some market manipulation going on and we will eventually learn what it is.
No we won't, it will be classified Top Secret by the government and nobody will chase after it, not even reporters cause they are paid by Big Media who get money from Big Business...

Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,430,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Forget tradition and past historical trends. There's new rules now and the outcomes are different. History will not help you in this market.
No truer words were ever spoken.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,138,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
-We've already come down, 40-45%. The market staying flat or going up on bad news is usually a bottoming signal, isn't it?
It has happened more than once over the last year and yet no bottom formed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Are the daily percent declines a way to subdue (ease people), into accepting Dow 5,000 or 6,000? A slow drip to ease the panic?
The markets don't think and nobody could manipulate the markets to this degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
No we won't, it will be classified Top Secret by the government and nobody will chase after it, not even reporters cause they are paid by Big Media who get money from Big Business...
Do you use industrial grade tin foil for your hats?

Last edited by Humanoid; 12-06-2008 at 05:49 AM..

Old 12-06-2008, 05:44 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,138,708 times
Anyhow, I don't know why people think the market should move on "news". I know the media always speaks in the form of narratives, "the market went down as blah blah weighed in on the new employment blah blah". But these are just stupid narratives, made up so they can write something. Numerous studies (such as those by Robert Schiller) have shown the markets aren't really driven by news like this.

Whenever the market doesn't do what people think it should do they create boogie men to try to explain why its not going along with their half baked predictions. The issue isn't government conspiracy or other boogie men, its that YOU GUYS CAN'T PREDICT THE MARKETS. People can make all the stupid bets in the market they want, but they are just pawns in a game.

The volatility is likely due to all the short term trading activity taking place right now. Other than suckers buying stocks in their 401(k) I doubt many people are taking long positions right now. But who knows? None of us have access to the information that would perhaps explain the odd behavior of the markets.

Just enjoy the roller coaster.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:53 AM

944 posts, read 3,056,424 times
Humanoid, you are always right on, in my opinion. What you wrote here makes perfect sense.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,871,134 times
obviously the reason it went up is because they knew about the auto bailout before the taxpayers as usual.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 AM

37 posts, read 177,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I think there is some market manipulation going on and we will eventually learn what it is.
I will take a stab at what it is.

BAILOUTS BAILOUTS.......................................... ..............................
AND THEN MORE BAILOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trapper1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics