Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,177,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
The banks and other corporation’s actions are telling us just how bad things are really going to be by devising serious cuts in their staffs.
That's true to some extent, but do also think that merger and acquisition plays a big part in the case of BofA, and the bad economy is no longer masking the huge inefficiencies that exist. Yes, some of the reduction is due to fluid economic news, but there is also the fallout of a business plan that assumed that the real estate and stock markets would continue to appreciate, and the desire to be bigger and bigger by buying out competitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 02:32 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,740,766 times
I think everyone working in the banking industry should be forced to take a 85% pay cut to get their pay scale in line with those that actually work for a living.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:02 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,537,892 times
Really? Everyone? Even the tellers who make a measly $8 an hour? Niiice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
I think everyone working in the banking industry should be forced to take a 85% pay cut to get their pay scale in line with those that actually work for a living.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:01 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,177,242 times
Quote:
See...that kind of thinking drives me crazy and was discussed in one of the other hundred threads on the auto bailout.

Who are these people that in your opinion "actually work for a living?" My take of what you mean is that unless you're a blue collar factory worker or someone who swings a hammer, you don't really "work." I'm here to tell you that using your brain can be so much more stressful and tiring than a day of digging ditches. At least you can go home and leave your factory or construction job there.

There are many days where I would gladly trade my white collar job for a job with physical labor... to reduce the stress and leave my job at work.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
See...that kind of thinking drives me crazy and was discussed in one of the other hundred threads on the auto bailout.

Who are these people that in your opinion "actually work for a living?" My take of what you mean is that unless you're a blue collar factory worker or someone who swings a hammer, you don't really "work." I'm here to tell you that using your brain can be so much more stressful and tiring than a day of digging ditches. At least you can go home and leave your factory or construction job there.

There are many days where I would gladly trade my white collar job for a job with physical labor... to reduce the stress and leave my job at work.
I’ve worked both white collar and blue collar jobs, but I don’t know any blue collar workers that think they are overpaid or that anyone working any job should get a pay cut. I do, however know a bunch of white collar workers that think anyone that isn’t white collar is over paid and should have a pay cut.
The fact that you think that white collar workers are the only ones using their brain is laughable. Maybe you should try working a blue collar job before you slam something you know nothing about. Or, maybe when your job goes away you will have no other choice.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Really? Everyone? Even the tellers who make a measly $8 an hour? Niiice...
That’s right every last one of them. And if they are forced to the minimum wage level then they will know how many Americans feel.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,116,858 times
I wonder why they opted to purchase shares in China Construction Bank with part of their $25 Billion rather than keeping on their employees or restructuring their debt?

If they bought a little over 19 billion additional shares at 36 cents....that's a lot of money.

Bank of America to exercise option, buy in 19.6 billion CCB shares
(source)

I think most people having to live on minimum wage also get government assistance for food, medical and sometimes housing assistance....plus the reduced Day Care program. It would only be an additional burden to knock these people's salaries down too low. They need at least a reasonable living wage. I'm not sure what that amount would be. Maybe someone else does.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,869,039 times
Hey Red, someone **** in your cornflakes this morning?
Not everyone in the banking industry is getting rich, far from it. That's like saying that everyone in the housing industry should take massive paycuts, including all of the real men swinging hammers.

What's that saying? Better to be quiet and be thought of as an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote:
That’s right every last one of them. And if they are forced to the minimum wage level then they will know how many Americans feel.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Hey Red, someone **** in your cornflakes this morning?
Not everyone in the banking industry is getting rich, far from it. That's like saying that everyone in the housing industry should take massive paycuts, including all of the real men swinging hammers.

What's that saying? Better to be quiet and be thought of as an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Maybe you should have remained quiet, now we have no doubt about you.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,406,185 times
Quote:
You're directing your anger at the wrong people..those "tellers" are Main Street people and had nothing to do with this.

Direct your anger at the CEO's and your government officials.
Their pay went up almost 10x what white/blue collar workers got.
They got millions in bonuses and stock options. We got slashed pensions and the right to fund our own pensions.

Blue or White collar, it doesn't matter..we are all going to pay for the greed of a few at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics