Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I always thought Woof and Woof Woof Woof! were the same person. The first time I read this thread....I was really confused.
I thought they were married...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:22 AM

707 posts, read 1,292,989 times
I am always intrigued by this use of "too big to fail" for people like GM,Citi, AIG etc. I prefer "too big to succeed" as they are already massive failures.

Reich has some interesting comments but this isn't new and root cause is relatively simple. The decline of the middle class has been going on for 30 years. A lot of the pain was masked by easy credit giving an illusionary picture of real growth. Credit party is over, tapped out. If we really go back to a consumption rate of 65% , we suck nearly a trillion dollars out of the economy which will have devastating consequences for many sectors. Painful but absolutely necessary. Hard to paint any rosy scenario for the next few years.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:07 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,854,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
I am always intrigued by this use of "too big to fail" for people like GM,Citi, AIG etc. I prefer "too big to succeed" as they are already massive failures.

Reich has some interesting comments but this isn't new and root cause is relatively simple. The decline of the middle class has been going on for 30 years. A lot of the pain was masked by easy credit giving an illusionary picture of real growth. Credit party is over, tapped out. If we really go back to a consumption rate of 65% , we suck nearly a trillion dollars out of the economy which will have devastating consequences for many sectors. Painful but absolutely necessary. Hard to paint any rosy scenario for the next few years.
The question to ask Jim is how did the nation not foresaw this terrible outcome. It’s not like you needed to be a rocket scientist, just have some good old fashion common sense.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I thought they were married...
Shut up!

I would never marry him. He's all scruffy and has patches of missing fur.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
You ought to invite Humanoid over for a cup of raw thistle nutrient broth, WWW. I think you two would make a wonderful couple.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:21 PM

707 posts, read 1,292,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
The question to ask Jim is how did the nation not foresaw this terrible outcome. It’s not like you needed to be a rocket scientist, just have some good old fashion common sense.
I think that "good old common sense" is in very short supply.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:57 PM

146 posts, read 520,349 times
[quote=Woof Woof Woof!;6872129]What I meant was that anyone on the street can see it. We're all being hit really hard. We can feel it. It's with us everyday.

i dont see how it is so bad where i live the economy is just the same as it has always been pretty much no major change like i guess others are seeing

Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You ought to invite Humanoid over for a cup of raw thistle nutrient broth, WWW. I think you two would make a wonderful couple.
Raw thistle? What's that?

Anyhow, no thanks. I'm a loner.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,896,967 times
Duh.....the feds do not know any more than the average person who pays attention. In fact, people in these forums know more than the Feds. They are completely out of sync with the average joe. Every day you hear how this or that is worse than they though. What a bunch of totally clueless idiots they are. I come to these forums for the real scoop.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:27 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,658,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post

i dont see how it is so bad where i live the economy is just the same as it has always been pretty much no major change like i guess others are seeing
That's the way we felt in Knoxville -- recession proof. Then last week, Alcoa announced it was shutting down production in Alcoa, TN (just south of Knoxville), SeaRay closed its plant and Goody's went out of business, closing it's corporate offices and distribution center in Knoxville.
About 2,000 jobs gone like that. And Ruby Tuesday, headquartered near Alcoa, is in trouble.
With Univ. of Tennessee facing budget cutbacks and TVA in hot water over the ash sludge spill -- our "recession proof" big industries -- things aren't looking good.
I don't think the economy is even close to bottom yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics