Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:51 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,406,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Unless she is retired, what is she going to do when she gets there? A low cost of living means nothing if you have no income.
I have an income, okay? I don't feel like sharing too many details online, but basically it doesn't mater WHERE I live. I'm looking to keep my monthly expenditures low and still maintain a social live.

My other question is what is YOUR monthly BUDGET !!!

Trying to figure out who here is the most frugal!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,252,292 times
North Texas is pretty inexpensive with a great job market. Dallas/Fort Worth/Denton (and about a hundred other cities, municipalities, and suburbs).

Things like gas, group health insurance, car insurance, taxes, and electric are generally low here. I pay:
700 - rent
60 - electric (average)
10 - water
46 - car insurance (averaged)
31 - gas (24 mpg at $1.60 for 93 octane)
19 - phone
40 - internet
40 - cable
10 - car registration/inspection (averaged)
150 - groceries, supplies, supplements, etc.

= $1106 per month
Not including any "entertainment" expenses (which I've almost completely eliminated) and car maintenance or my 401K, IRA, and non-retirement savings contributions. My health insurance is $36/month pre-tax.

When I was living in Denton, through 2004, my TOTAL expenses were:
360 - rent
50 - electric
0 for water
0 for car insurance, gas, registration, etc. because I was able to walk and take the trolley everywhere and didn't need a car
15 - phone
35 - internet
110 - groceries

= $570 per month
I made it on $7000/year net. Things were simpler then...

Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,967,128 times
I moved to Texas from expensive New England almost 15 years ago and have NEVER regretted it. The cost of living here is MUCH lower and jobs are still available. Wages down here are lower in some professions/industries but you come out further ahead because you're saving a LOT on living expenses, gas, food, etc. I also LOVE the Texas lifestyle -- good, friendly folks, lots of caring and neighborliness, and more laid-back than the Northeast.

Housing, especially, is SO much cheaper here. I would never have been able to afford to buy a home in New England and rents were quite high there, too. Utilities, since it's still quite oil-reliant, could kill the budget. Our electric rates seem to be a bit higher than other parts of the country, some folks say, but we do have electric choice and you can shop around and move on to another company if your rates go up.

As for marrying for economic reasons -- don't do it, unless you find a reasonably wealthy, kind, level-headed man! (And how many of those exist?!) Another person in the household brings his own problems, issues, and debts and you could find yourself in even worse financial straits than being on your own! (Geez, my ex who SEEMED stable when we were dating, turned out to be a financial nightmare and it took a while for me to be able to extricate myself from the mess!)

Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 PM

931 posts, read 3,794,827 times
1) Stop going out to eat. Learn to cook. Food is fresher, healthier and a lot cheaper

Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,206,288 times
What we spend now, and what we would need to live are quite different things.
We have luxuries now, despite having cut backa lot already, like cable, expensive phone packages with data plans on both phones, etc.

We also live in a nice apartment. We'll be at the end of our lease soonish, so I've started to shop around for a new place. We could spend a lot less (or a lot more!!!) on rent, but I think we'll stick at about the level we are at now, which is 2300/ month for a large 2 bed 2 bath with a parking space in a building with a gym, doorman and other amenities.
There are buildings I would prefer to be in, but the rent jumps up by about $1000/ month. So we're fine where we are. If we needed to we could drop down to a one bedroom place for about $1600 - $1700/ month.

Rent: 2300
Utilities: 70
Car ins: 110
Groceries: 160
Gas: 70

Total: 2710

Those are our current fixed expenses.

'Luxeries' are:

Cell phones: 155
Home phone/ Internet: 90
Cable: 80
Renters ins: 76
Pet ins: 36
Netflix: 19
Restaurants: 400 - 600/ month

Total: 856 - 1056

Grand Total: 3566 - 3766

This is quite affordable on one income, but if (God forbid) both incomes were to go, we have a lot of emergency fund savings, and would slash back on pretty much everything. We are already cutting back dramatically on eating out, so should start to see some savings there soon as well.

I figure to stay in this same area, we could get by on 2000/ month if we had to, but it would be tough. The good news is that we have enough emergency money to last us a good number of years on that if we needed to.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,189,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I have an income, okay? I don't feel like sharing too many details online, but basically it doesn't mater WHERE I live. I'm looking to keep my monthly expenditures low and still maintain a social live.

My other question is what is YOUR monthly BUDGET !!!

Trying to figure out who here is the most frugal!

Thanks!!!
Single, living alone here. On SSI.

Utilities, cold weather, about 125/150. Phone, expensive cell plan but still works out, property taxes, 45 a year, rent/morgage 300, don't have a car but food runs about a 100 a month, (cooking from scrach).cable/internet 85... if necessary the cable part goes.

Even losing a fair amount from my check by moving from cali I have more to live on with the cost of living here

Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,310,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Hi Folks,

I've been tracking my living expenses for a while and I've paid off most of my debt. Now I need to think ahead about how I can afford to live through this horrible economic downturn.

After I finish paying off my car, I'd like to get my total monthly expenses down to $1,000 a month including rent. I'm thinking I may have to relocate to someplace in North or South Carolina, but I'll do what I have to. I looked and I can get an apartment there for $500 a month.

So, my question is, how much do you spend each month (I know it's tough because some of you have families or spouses)? And do you have any suggestions for where I can live and how I can reduce my budget?

I'm in survival mode here, so I have to do what I have to do. I'm a single woman so maybe I should get married? If so, I need to move to a place where there's eligible bachelors.

Thanks for any input,

Woofers

P.S. I'm currently in the Northeast and rents are too expensive here.

Woofers,

I looked at some sites for you.

Homes for Rent, Apartments, Houses for Rent, Rental Homes (http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Searchresults.aspx - broken link)

Homes for Rent, Apartments, Houses for Rent, Rental Homes (http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Searchresults.aspx - broken link)

There seem to be some reasonable rents in NC and SC like you said. If you can keep your other expenses down you can do it. I have BC/BS major medical for $52.00 per month. It might be something you can budget in. You might also consider living close to or in a college town. Free events and activities go on and also classes. Who knows, you might meet a professor.
I'm sure I have many more ideas. I'll PM you.

Lisa

Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM

19 posts, read 116,195 times
I'm on the verge of being unemployed, so I looked into this option: Working for cruise lines. The thing is, they pay for your housing and food on the ship, and the contract lasts for 6 months. You can really save up if you avoid the bar and expensive excursions/tours at the ports.

Good luck!

Also, I save money by purchasing groceries that are in season or on sale, and I always use coupons. Sometimes my colleagues would bring sweets to work, such as donuts, and that's the only times I get to have sugar intake.

As for my living accommodation, I rent a room in someone's house for a fraction of what I would pay for an apartment. As a plus, I tutor my landlord's kid for some extra money. You can do that too! Also, if you lived in someone's house, you might get a free meal once in a while :P

As for getting married, you really have to be careful of abusive guys. A friend of mine married right after college to a "rich" guy she just met, and boy, it's the worst decision she has made! The guy lost his fortune (and his temper) gradually over the years. She is now the only breadwinner of the house. My heart goes out to her because she deserves.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,406,814 times
Thank you, Lisa!

Dear riceater -- working for cruise lines sounds pretty good! Unfortunately, I have a kitty cat who never leaves my side. He needs me too much. I track all my expenses and continue to cut my budget! But no more roommates or rent-a-rooms for me.

Woofette

Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM

732 posts, read 4,150,831 times
Exactly $760 dollars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics