Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times

Advertisements

I heard this was a really good video and in fact, my friend ordered a copy!

But I'm going to watch it on You Tube tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Haven't watched it yet but did recorded it. Is it any good ?
I would give the overall series a "A-"

The first 3 parts (dreams of avarice, human bondage, and blowing bubbles ) I thought the presentation of the history of money, the stock market and bond market was well done. Plus found some of the back stories in the first to part very interesting. Ex. how some of the anti-semitic feeling toward Jews came to be in Europe.

Part 4 (Risky business) I would give a "A-" or "B+". It was well done. But to me seemed a tad rushed. And that the ending was rather abrupt.

Part 5 (Safe as a house) I would give it a "A-" little rushed to me but still solid information and commentary .

Part 6 (Chimerica) I would give it a "B" to me this part should have been broken up between the 1. Asian crisis and the safety equation and 2. with the idea of "Chimerica" and the speculation that "Chimerica" could lead to a not so nice ending if history does decide to repeat itself. To me it seem to compact and didn't seem to stand up the the rest of the series in quality.

But hey that my view of the series. And I would recommend watching the series. In fact I going to watch it all again when I get the time. Especially the first 3 parts.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I'll keep my eye out to try and catch it next time they air it. It may also be on the PBS site or ovguide.com. Thanks for the post.
You can watch it here. Watch full program: THE ASCENT OF MONEY | The Ascent of Money | PBS

Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Someone should let Obama see this video so that he can make smarter decisions about the economy and the problems inherent in it.... sometimes we need to educate our leaders (okay, maybe all the time) otherwise they make the same stupid decisions again and again from their stupid advisers (aka a bunch of know-nothings that talk as if they knew something)...

Old 01-16-2009, 02:21 AM

253 posts, read 1,055,624 times
Are there copies available for purchase?

Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 PM

310 posts, read 1,699,947 times
The first 3 parts (dreams of avarice, human bondage, and blowing bubbles ) I thought the presentation of the history of money, the stock market and bond market was well done. Plus found some of the back stories in the first to part very interesting. Ex. how some of the anti-semitic feeling toward Jews came to be in Europe.

Part 4 (Risky business) I would give a "A-" or "B+". It was well done. But to me seemed a tad rushed. And that the ending was rather abrupt.

Part 5 (Safe as a house) I would give it a "A-" little rushed to me but still solid information and commentary .

Part 6 (Chimerica) I would give it a "B" to me this part should have been broken up between the 1. Asian crisis and the safety equation and 2. with the idea of "Chimerica" and the speculation that "Chimerica" could lead to a not so nice ending if history does decide to repeat itself. To me it seem to compact and didn't seem to stand up the the rest of the series in quality.

Anyone know where online I can watch FULL EPISODES of the earlier parts (Parts 1, 2, 3 & 4) ? Already have the last two parts (Parts 5 & 6) -- these were the only ones my local PBS station showed, never showed the earlier parts.

Seems like YouTube only offers EXCERPTS, not the full episodes (am I wrong about this?) And when I tried to view the earlier full Episodes on the WNET.org website, wouldn't allow me to do so, got an error message.

Any suggestions for the full earlier episodes online? (Not at all interested in viewing just the snippets!)

Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 PM

68 posts, read 323,384 times
This is a very informative series describing in layman terms the roots and history of our credit, economic and even securitizations systems. It explains and demystifies a lot in broad terms including the reasons behind the chronic urban blight of Memphis and Detroit, the socioeconomic racism/segregation in those cities and elsewhere, plus the basic concepts of derivatives, options, hedge funds, and further: the intertwining in-bed relationship with China's cultural worship of saving money and how it was converted into cheap financing for the U.S.

Good stuff here all under one roof! Definitely want to see more from these producers.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
overall quite good and I learned yet 'some more' filth about the actual makers of the crisis. And of course a good review of seeing how history repeats itself (I.E. speculation / money / war component of the French Revolution).

The ending was a bit weak (agree with Newbie's lower grade of Chimerica). There are some interesting dynamics to his theory (which was not very fully developed). There are variations on that theory what are pretty alarming. I would say a study of the Chinese culture component would shed more light on the potential outcomes. (that would NOT be a reassuring study)

1) We are indebted and they exert substantial control to US
2) They are too dependent on our consumption to exert too much control (I think this is a weak argument... there are other consumers in the world...)
3) They don't know enough about economics to move forward without us (I doubt this too)
4) Their economy 'implodes' and USA is 'occupied' by Asian 'pacific drifters' (Peak oil theory)
5) They 'manipulate' our economic markets to our ruination (this is possible)

It is quite remarkable how well China has 'held-it-together' during the huge growth spurt. I sense there are some pretty knowledgeable and passionate finance managers handling this on a national level.

It is quite embarrassing that the USA has handled it so poorly, considering we are supposed to have the academic and business acumen to be 'world class'.... There has got to be some significant WorldWide repercussions for our ineptness.

The series left me a bit more uncomfortable that the USA (and thus my future 'ez-life') is capable of pulling this one off and still come out on top. We better hope there are some wealthy rabbits in the hat.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,351,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
The Russians said that we will have a civil war this Fall!
I am planning to move to Northern Canada...Just to avoid to be killed by a straight bullet!
Igor Panarin is a Russian, not "Russians".

Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,624 times
I am looking now to make sure check these out... these might be full episodes: LINK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics