Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times

Advertisements

Harbinger of what might happen with Fed income taxes ?
Might want to check your withholding ..just in case.

California withholds tax refunds to stay afloat - Jan. 16, 2009 (http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/economy/california.reut/index.htm?section=money_latest - broken link)

snippet:
"California will not pay tax refunds for individuals and business that overpaid 2008 taxes, in order to conserve dwindling cash for priority payments including school spending and debt repayment required by state law, the state's controller office said Friday."

NOTICE..it does not say "delay", it says "will not pay".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,830,412 times
also welfare and college grants hahaha.

Unfortunately I should have set my dependents to 10 so I wouldn't have to get a refund.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,396,221 times
I have to pay each year, and I like it that way. No way am I going to give the government an interest free loan and hope they pay me what is owed later.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 PM

19 posts, read 116,119 times
With all due respect, but wise Kennedy once said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."
This is a critical time for all, and we should help our country whenever we can. When our country gets back on its feet again, it will remember how we overcame it together!

*I'm saying this not because I'm filthy rich. I'm facing possible unemployment with student loans and meager savings. I'm willing to forgo my tax return if it can help our government.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,745,052 times
riceeater--- with all due respect... do you know anything? How does this help? Are you just saying it "because"... If you really want to help, perhaps you should call their Congress and tell them to get off their lazy arse and pass a budget..

Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,839,490 times
I wonder if New York is not that far behind from adopting the same ruling.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 PM

20,568 posts, read 19,222,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceeater View Post
With all due respect, but wise Kennedy once said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."
This is a critical time for all, and we should help our country whenever we can. When our country gets back on its feet again, it will remember how we overcame it together!

*I'm saying this not because I'm filthy rich. I'm facing possible unemployment with student loans and meager savings. I'm willing to forgo my tax return if it can help our government.
Hi riceeater,

Unfortunately this will make things worse. If you do receive your refund it will simply continue the depression.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM

20,568 posts, read 19,222,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Harbinger of what might happen with Fed income taxes ?
Might want to check your withholding ..just in case.

California withholds tax refunds to stay afloat - Jan. 16, 2009 (http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/economy/california.reut/index.htm?section=money_latest - broken link)

snippet:
"California will not pay tax refunds for individuals and business that overpaid 2008 taxes, in order to conserve dwindling cash for priority payments including school spending and debt repayment required by state law, the state's controller office said Friday."

NOTICE..it does not say "delay", it says "will not pay".
HappyTexan,

Only if they are crooks. California cannot "borrow" from the Fed infinitely unlike the Treasury.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceeater View Post

I was young and ideal at one time too, but then I grew up and found out my government could care nothing about me.

I saw him make that speech.

Hope you get a job....

Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 PM

458 posts, read 1,665,997 times
I sure hope they mean just postponing the refund checks, because that's blatantly stealing from people.

As to the quote "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.", I think it's a wonderful quote. But: People still deserve the right to make their own choices on what to do for their country. If they choose to give their refund money to the government as a gift, that's wonderful of them! If they choose not to, then they should have that right also. The government forcing charity on any entity causes the "charity" to no longer be charity, but rather, stealing.

People need to have their own agency concerning where they do and do not give their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics