Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times

Advertisements

OK so Obama is in as of Tuesday. A "Change" is coming to the whitehouse. And while most of use know that a president and his/her administration really can't do that much to "fix" the economy as a whole. I think we can agree that a president can put onto place some programs/incentives to help the economy get moving in the right direction. Now it also seem to me that a lot of people put importance on the first 100 days in office for a president to get things done.

Soooooo. I would like to ask the good people of CD there opinion on what Obama needs to do in the first 100 days of his administration to steer the country's economy in the right direction?
Actually perhaps a little more detail than that. What does the Obama administration need to do in those first 100 days to help stabilize (shortterm goal) the economy? And what programs/incentives does his administration need to put into place in the first 100 days to help the economy longer term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
100 days! I give it 60-75 before it all falls down.
Things are deteriorating at an increasingly rapid pace, "stabilization" is a vague fuzzy dream at this point. The water is circling the bowl faster and faster, and the final "whoooosh" cant be far off now. Sadly, I think it will take the military, likely under UN command to pick up the pieces..........Time to leave the cities.....AHHHHHHH!

O.K., That's one(of a million) worst case scenarios. But here's a factoid for you all. Our soon to be POTUS has said things are much worse than they appear. It's gonna hurt, "We're all gonna have some skin in the game". When a politician promises the moon and stars, I expect s#!t. When a politician promises "pain", Is my expectation of the wrath of hell itself falling on my head so unfounded? I dont know what's gonna happen, I have a pretty good indication it isnt going to be good. And by the end of the first 100 days, I think we'll know how much worse it's gonna get......

Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Obama can do anything he wants but I'm afraid he ad Congress are urinating on a forest fire. Things are rapidly going downhill and some are already calling this a depression. Even as I typed this message, I received a phone call from a friend in the road construction business who was laid off this morning.

I am afraid that any light in the tunnel that politicians say we may be seeing is just a freight train headed toward us. Many in some areas of the country have already gone under the train wheels while here in Texas we wait with diminishing hope that this ugly thing will pass us by.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I think Obama's current plans are about the only thing that might help - if the proposed bills could stay intact all the way through to his desk - but I'm afraid High Plains Retired might be right about the forest fire thing.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Current plans? Do you have a magical crystal ball? What current plans are you talking about that would "help"?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 PM

The economic stimulus plans that Obama has, evilnewbie.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:20 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
There is little Obama can do when companies are showing losses and the unemployed can not spend what the don't have.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
The only thing that may work is wipe all companies, and peoples debt clean. Yes....it is a crazy plan isn't it!!! I myself am readying for the end. I am thinking of becoming a treasure hunter. There are trillions of dollars of unfound treasures in this world. Anyone with me, let me know.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The economic stimulus plans that Obama has, evilnewbie.
And what in the economic stimulus plan is going to help? And how does it help? You seem to know something most of America doesn't... I don't see the stimulus helping at all... maybe you can explain to us ...

Old 01-17-2009, 01:47 PM

They might possibly help, but as I clearly said
Quote:
but I'm afraid High Plains Retired might be right about the forest fire thing.
They might help cushion the fall .... you're advocating for doing nothing at all, thus leading to a quick and deadly fall, and the economic destruction of the USA (which would likely lead to political destruction). Presumably you hope something will rise up out of the ashes.

I'm in favor of at least trying to save things, cushion the fall, stretch it out a bit, give people and businesses time to adapt to new realities. Probably it's not going to work very well, though, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics