U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 07:13 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,436,223 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a lil work off & on (mainly cleanup) for my landlord for awhile.I earned & was always paid $10.00 hr cash.Last month i worked 35 hours & got paid $240.00.I was short changed $110.00 (11 hours).After i received my check The mgr said one of the jobs i did was by the job & not the hour.

The manager NEVER told me that prior to me accepting the job.He just told me what to do & i did it.After i questioned the amount of the check He said the job was worth $150.00.I did other work for him (9 hours) at 10.00 hour.I did a very good clean up/gardening job & trimmed alot of bushes with manual trimmers & not electric ones.

That was not right of them to do that (mgr/owner).I was told by a few others that the owner has done this to others as well & if i take the owner to court or bug him for the money owed to me i can expect a eviction notice.Had i known the job was by the job & not by the hour i would not of been so damn thorough.Instead of dirt on the ground their was rocks.Raking up was a *****.I have been doing this type of work on/off for years & its time for a change.

The mgr hasnt talked to me & i have known him for over 8 yrs.I haved always payed my rent on time & never caused any problems for the owners for the past 10 yrs.The owners are multi-millonaires.I am currently out of work & being screwed out of $110.00 really hurt.I guess i gotta just suck it up & consider it a lesson learned...right ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,592,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I have been doing a lil work off & on (mainly cleanup) for my landlord for awhile.I earned & was always paid $10.00 hr cash.Last month i worked 35 hours & got paid $240.00.I was short changed $110.00 (11 hours).After i received my check The mgr said one of the jobs i did was by the job & not the hour.

The manager NEVER told me that prior to me accepting the job.He just told me what to do & i did it.After i questioned the amount of the check He said the job was worth $150.00.I did other work for him (9 hours) at 10.00 hour.I did a very good clean up/gardening job & trimmed alot of bushes with manual trimmers & not electric ones.

That was not right of them to do that (mgr/owner).I was told by a few others that the owner has done this to others as well & if i take the owner to court or bug him for the money owed to me i can expect a eviction notice.Had i known the job was by the job & not by the hour i would not of been so damn thorough.Instead of dirt on the ground their was rocks.Raking up was a *****.I have been doing this type of work on/off for years & its time for a change.

The mgr hasnt talked to me & i have known him for over 8 yrs.I haved always payed my rent on time & never caused any problems for the owners for the past 10 yrs.The owners are multi-millonaires.I am currently out of work & being screwed out of $110.00 really hurt.I guess i gotta just suck it up & consider it a lesson learned...right ?
You should always give your best effort. I think you should sit down with this man and find out what things are paid by the job and what falls into your hourly rate. When you work, do the by the job items on days when you are not on your hourly. You could sue him but I'm not sure where that will get you in the end unless you are also willing to move.

Edit: I hope you realize that the money he is paying you is taxable and at $600 I believe he should be giving you a 1099. If you haven't reported or didn't plan on reporting the income you may want to think twice about going to court.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 PM

I should of been paid $350.00 instead of $240.00.I no longer work for the owner.Burn me once shame on you,burn me twice shame on me.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:06 AM

3,269 posts, read 8,930,554 times
Yeah I think you got burned. Best thing you can do is plan how you can get $110 worth of revenge on him.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,399,522 times
Small claims court is a possible solution. If nothing else it will spoil the landlord's reputation.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Yeah I think you got burned. Best thing you can do is plan how you can get $110 worth of revenge on him.
Revenge will absolutely get me evicted.The owners are very wealthy & i have a snow balls chance in hell of getting the money thats rightfully owed to me.Many landlords do retaliate.Its just not worth being harassed/evicted for $110.00.Some people do know what happened & they all agree that i got burned.

Had the mgr told me before i started the job that i will be paid $150.00 for it then i would of said "ok" & just not of been so thorough.I really worked my ass off.I spent 26 hours total on this job.(3 days work).The owner only paid me for 15 hours.What a disappointment!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Take your lumps, and learn the lesson to never take on a job without know exactly what is expected and what you will be paid.

You just bought yourself a $110 lesson of life, next time you play the game, play smarter.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:57 AM

Yesterday i got paid in full.Better late then never.It just would of been nice if their was communication during that 5 week wait.I didnt question the mgr & i dont plan to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or