Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,441 times

Advertisements

As to his failure to pay payroll taxes from 2001 to 2004 while he worked for the International Monetary Fund, Geithner said: "These were careless mistakes. They were avoidable mistakes."
"But they were unintentional," he said. "I should have been more careful."
Geithner told the panel that, for the 2001 and 2002 tax years, he had prepared his tax returns himself with a popular tax-preparation computer program.
He said that he hired an accountant to do his 2003 and 2004 taxes who also "did not catch my error."

Geithner apologizes for not paying taxes - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Geithner-apologizes-for-not-apf-14116180.html - broken link)

LMAO! He was President of the Fed and now our Treasury Secretary? He can't even do his own taxes correctly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Hmmmm.....I wonder if I send the IRS an apology letter if they will let me slide this year.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Apologizes for not paying? Or apologizes for getting caught???

(OMG, it really is true: I am turning into my mother!)

Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Obama tipped his hand early, on this one.

Timothy Geithner is his "pick" for Secretary of Treasury. But there's this little problem that he failed to timely pay his taxes, owed on salary while working at the IMF.

Title 22 USC Sec. 286a states that the "governor" of the "World Bank" and "IMF" shall not be paid by the U.S. government.

And in case you were unaware, the U.S. governor of the "bank" and "fund", is the Secretary of Treasury - who shall not be paid by the U.S. government. But shall be paid by the fiduciary agent for the "bank" and "fund" - the Federal Reserve Corporation.

And since Geithner worked for the IMF, you can be sure he knew that he had no tax liability, since he was not a "person liable". Now, under scrutiny, he has to come up with the lame excuse that the tax code was too complicated, and that TurboTax didn't warn him he owed taxes....

Does he think we're that gullible?

OF COURSE HE DOES. And Congressional committee members will rubber stamp his nomination because HE is the agent for the real power - the creditor to whom the U.S. Congress went bankrupt to in 1933.

The TAIL wags the DOG.

Good doggy, BHO, good boy! HEEL!

(Really can't blame BHO. Remember who "protects" the president. It's not the U.S. Marines, who are under HIS orders, as Commander in Chief. He's protected by the "Secret Service", who are TREASURY agents. And the Secretary isn't paid by the U.S. government, pursuant to law.)

==========
References:
Title 22 USC Sec. 286a (a) Governors and executive directors; term of office The President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint a governor of the Fund who shall also serve as a governor of the (World) Bank, and an executive director of the (International Monetary) Fund and an executive director of the Bank.
(d) Compensation for services Appointments (1) No person shall be entitled to receive any salary or other compensation from the United States for services as a Governor, executive director, councilor, alternate, or associate.

According to page 494 of the U.S. Government Manual, 1993/1994
edition:
"In addition , the Secretary (of Treasury) has many responsibilities as chief financial officer of the Government. The Secretary serves as Chairman pro tempore of the Economic Policy council and as _U.S. Governor_ of the International Monetary Fund, the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the Inter-American Development Bank, and the African Development Bank."

Bank holiday of 1933. Presidential Proclamation No.2039, issued March 6, 1933, and No. 2040, issued March 9, 1933, temporarily suspended banking transactions by member banks of the Federal Reserve System. Normal banking functions were resumed on March 13, subject to certain restrictions. The first proclamation, it was held, had no authority in law until the passage on March 9, 1933, of the ratifying act (12 U.S.C.A. Sec. 95b). The present law forbids member banks of the Federal Reserve System to transact banking business, except under regulations of the _Secretary of the Treasury_, during an emergency proclaimed by the President. 12 U.S.C.A. Sec. 95.
Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, p. 146

Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
No surprise there. I heard something like 60% of congress doesn't pay taxes either. Also there are many loop holes that allow the rich to not pay taxes. They don't consider it illegal though, simply doing business that doesn't result in a tax liability.

Quote:
Hmmmm.....I wonder if I send the IRS an apology letter if they will let me slide this year.
Yea, then they send these guys after you.

Yes folks, all those police are there to protect you from bad people. Or should I say, they're there to protect the establishment from YOU.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
He apologized for making the mistake and not paying up until he had to. He didn't HAVE to, he let it go until the deadline to have to pay was past. Then he paid up to get the job.
"Do as I say, not as I do. "

Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 AM

32 posts, read 86,810 times
Just another Goldman Sachs slimeball. He knew what he was doing.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM

609 posts, read 2,117,968 times
Bottom line is if he cannot handled his own finances, I do not want him to be in charged of spending my money.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Don't you think it might be useful to have him around if other countries want to "collect" from the US ?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
I love this show already. A IRS boss who does not pay taxes and a president who need to take the oath of office a second time and in private. I don't feel good about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics