Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:38 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I hope you are unemployed and stay that way...free market

O'Reilly has worked at Walmart and used it as a way to go higher yp, just as many other honest people have done...and I'm sure about one thing..many people (customers and employees) wil be glad that Walmart excist since they can buy for not too much and the others are making an living.
A) I would never refer to Bill O'Reilly as an honest person. Thanks for the laugh though.

B) You probably should research to see how many Wal-Mart has forced into losing their jobs. I'm sure they're not pleased that such a store "excists."

C) You neglect to mention that while you're not spending much to get much, your country's economy is feeling the reprocussions of such transactions now and they surely will in the future. Congratulations to contributing to that, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as you get your cheap sweatpants and carton of eggs for a cool $5.

Having said that, however, I don't in the least bit blame Wal-Mart for canning the employee or falling back into legal action. You have to protect your business and that's just what Wal-Mart is - a business. I knew retail wasn't my line of work as a youngster when I would see a poor family bring a cart of necessities into my line (I worked at a grocery store that I will leave unnamed). I would sincerely mention that if their youngster would help me bag, I'd discount them for items. When you work for a multi-billion dollar corporation which is faceless and heartless, it's difficult to rationalize not making it help the consumer. I acted as that intermediary and I don't regret it at all. In fact, I was never caught and I gave many families discounts on their daily necessities. Theft? Technically. Regrettable? Absolutely not. One of the most beautiful ways I made that job work for its community and I loved every second of it.

Also having said that, I highly doubt that the employee from Wal-Mart was acting with the same altruistic notions. I'm sure many of those goods were not necessities and that some were for herself too, but I also don't blame her, except to say that the transaction should have looked SOMEWHAT believable! 5.74$ for 500-some-dollars worth? What a moron. That my friends is natural selection at work.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 01-24-2009 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 04:05 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
I hate WalMart but in all fairness, this type of thing happens everyday, at many different businesses. Not sure why this story is significant.
http://forums.slizone.com/style_emoticons/slizone/yawn.gif (broken link)

Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Goes to show you the kind of people who work there. They can't even be loyal to their own employer.

I've been to Walmart a few times. It does not surprise me.

20yrsinBranson
What an odd comment. And there aren't bad employees at other companies? Our own Treasury Secretary didn't pay certain income taxes for a couple years that totaled 34,000 dollars. How about Bernie Madoff who stole people's money? The list goes on. There's bad people everywhere, it doesn't just exist at Walmart.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
It is stealing. No matter if its Wal-Mart, Kroger, or Bill and Sallys Corner Store
Corporations have no personal responsibility therefore stealing from them is not a personal act nor should one be held personally responsible in a legal manner for doing so.

It then follows that stealing from a corporation should be a civil matter and not a criminal one. Criminal sanctions should only be placed on acts against individuals.

And if a corporation wants to stop theft it should use a market solution rather than having their private police needs subsidized by the government. More rent-a-cops perhaps.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Good for the wal-Mart employee. My hat is off to her! Pity she was snagged but Wal-Mart deserves more such employees. When a corporation treats employees like dirt, they have nobody to blame but themselves.
Stealing is stealing, no matter how you try and paint the picture.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 PM

175 posts, read 741,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
My understanding is that personal views are also protected speech. There appears to be no statement of fact that Wal-Mart could use as libelous or could be construed as an authority damaging their reputation. If you say "I believe" or "I think" that is an opinion and not expressly stated or implied to be factual. The latter part of the preceeding sentence appears to be the benchmark of defamation.
It comes down to subjectivity. If you said that you think I'm a thief, that could be proven false and therefore slander. If I told people not to go to a certain restaurant because the service or the food is awful, that is a subjective opinion and cannot be proven false.

When I was in high school, I called a girl a bad name. She tried to have me arrested for slander, but all she could get for charges were harrassment because slander didn't apply due to it being a subjective comment. (The case ended up thrown out of court, probably because the judge realized that she was exactly what I called her! LOL)

Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Stealing is stealing, no matter how you try and paint the picture.
Exactly! That is the point of this post: NOT whether you shop there or not (personally I do not) - but the point is: It was and is stealing. Consumers (all of us) pay for such acts - stores need to be profitable.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:04 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Good for the wal-Mart employee. My hat is off to her! Pity she was snagged but Wal-Mart deserves more such employees. When a corporation treats employees like dirt, they have nobody to blame but themselves.
A big BOO to you and this attitude. A crime is a crime is a crime regardless of how you feel about Walmart or any employer. I hope this is not the moral compass you live by!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Just because the government and corporations can do it doesn't mean it's right.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Corporations have no personal responsibility therefore stealing from them is not a personal act nor should one be held personally responsible in a legal manner for doing so.

It then follows that stealing from a corporation should be a civil matter and not a criminal one. Criminal sanctions should only be placed on acts against individuals.

And if a corporation wants to stop theft it should use a market solution rather than having their private police needs subsidized by the government. More rent-a-cops perhaps.
Last time I checked, stealing was a crime, whether from Sally, Bill, a Lemonade Stand, Church's Chicken or Wal Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics