Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

BOA is known for deciding which transactions to post when and in what order. I've also had BOA put a "HOLD" on GREEN Cash that I have deposited...????How can they put a HOLD on cash? I have overdraft protection and I've been overdrafted by BOA.....go figure.
Wow, sounds like many have had issues with BOA. I did work for them for over ten years and had an account (requirement to process expenses) but never had any issues. I do admit that the majority of my transactions were done through another institution.

I have always just walked away from any office that put a hold on my funds and just done business elsewhere. I recently moved an account away from Chase when a hold was proposed.

My personal accounts are through either a credit union or a brokerage and both have given very good service over many years without issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 03:29 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Huh? An overdraft is when you violate the agreement you made and write checks on money you don't have. It is actually a fraudulent transaction.

If have been banking and using checks for over fifty years and never had an overdraft.
That's a bit extreme... and completely ridiculous. B of A is well known for pushing through debits and holding up credits - I've seen an account with a credit pending and had it disappear only to reappear later! Tell me, who's violating agreements?

This is not their first class-action suit.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:47 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
That's a bit extreme... and completely ridiculous. B of A is well known for pushing through debits and holding up credits - I've seen an account with a credit pending and had it disappear only to reappear later! Tell me, who's violating agreements?

If BoA was always right, than no classaction could be taken serious.

Dillards, Macy's and Nordstrom just lost a classaction lawsuit for unlawful raising prices of products without telling customers, just to get money for the so called "free make up".

BoA told me over and over that I get all the interest charges back a month after they have been charged for not paying my auto payments on time....(how can you not pay a automatic payment on time, while the bank is automatically taking the money out of your account, in full!!!)...well i have seen them refunding my interest charges the next month, and sometimes I guess they forget to do so and hope i will forget to see it....

I know the rather have me not pay my cc pay in full so they can make more money off me.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
I will make a small commit on this class action suit. It's not the fee's, its not the fact people overdraw, its the fact BOA forces you to go over. I'll make an example.

day 1: Was planning on purchasing a product that would make my account go under. Transfered funds into checking and had more then enough to cover the charge

day 2: Look at my bank account. The money is missing, the bank claims i never transfered the money, and my account online shows i've never done such, i transfer more money from my savings and pay the overdraft fees

day 3: The money i originally transferred showed up including the additional transfer and both transfer transactions show up....

Call BOA, told its not their problem.

It almost makes analog banks look good again. I wish i could store my cash somewhere, but knowing my luck it would be burned up in some apartment fire.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
BofA are nothing but a bunch of Crooks ---What they do is Robbery.....Lets say you use you debit card for 300 bucks -

make a 250 big purcahase

and 3 other little purchases for the other 50$

Now lets say your short 100- for whatever reason, BofA is going to Post the 250$ purchase first and over draft the 3 little purchases resulting in 105$ in fees for the bank as opposed to 35$ one time fee...

And there's nothing to say they can't do it.

People really better watch there accounts now, BofA is hurting for cash because Merrill ripped them off so now they're doing everything possible to rob folks.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times
We finally got our 15 year BOA accounts closed last week. We had the usual holding of deposits - even cash deposits. In a few instances, they delayed crediting our account with hubby's paycheck even though his company also banks with BoA, his paycheck is issued by BoA and we have his check direct deposited. Because we have automatic bill paying, this resulted in several checks bouncing - even with the delay we have between the deposit and scheduled drafts. Of course, if the bank had paid the smallest checks first, we would have only bounced the largest check. BoA cashed the largest check (mortgage) and bounced all the others. All because they held the direct deposit. This has happened 3 times in the past 2 years.

We first tried to close our accounts last November. We went to the bank and withdrew the balance after making sure all our outstanding checks had cleared. 5 days after closing the account, we received an overdraft notice. Seems that the newspaper failed to put the change through to withdraw from our new bank and tried to draft from the BoA account 3 days after we closed it. BoA reopened the checking account, paid the bill and charged us a $35 overdraft fee. Oh, and because it happened at the end of the month, we were charged for another month of bank fees, too. Of course, their excuse was that it takes a few days for an account to officially close. Yeah, we cancelled the newspaper subscription, too.

That happened in November and it was finally straightened out and closed for good last week. Never again will I do any kind of business with BoA.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:56 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
BofA are nothing but a bunch of Crooks ---What they do is Robbery.....Lets say you use you debit card for 300 bucks -

make a 250 big purcahase

and 3 other little purchases for the other 50$

Now lets say your short 100- for whatever reason, BofA is going to Post the 250$ purchase first and over draft the 3 little purchases resulting in 105$ in fees for the bank as opposed to 35$ one time fee...

And there's nothing to say they can't do it.

People really better watch there accounts now, BofA is hurting for cash because Merrill ripped them off so now they're doing everything possible to rob folks.
This is the way most banks do it. That's how they make money. JERKS!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post

Yep, this happened to me at least twice. It's been several years, although still within that 2000 to 2007 window. I'd deposit a big check and write several small ones, and B of A would hold the deposit, bounce the checks, and the ensuing NSFs would snowball out of control, causing more bounced checks, more NSFs, and so on. We lived pretty hand-to-mouth back then, and we didn't have a "cushion" in our account to live off of while we sorted it out.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I ones had 3 overdraft fees due to some one I know (not a family member) thought it was a good idea to charge my account instead of another account he shoul have used to pay a bill. I went to Walmart and paid 3 days in a row small amounts with my debit card...I got 3 overdraft fees!
i went to BoA and the bank manager helped me to solve the issue, since first of all the person charging my account didn't have a POA to do so and was legally not allowed to use my account in whatever manor. He had convinced a person at a company that he was allowed to handle our banking affairs. It was solved and could have filed charges against the person but didn't do so...

I always wondered why BoA even let me charge my debit card while the funds weren't in there...BoA told me they didn't want me to have the inconvenience of not being able to use money (3 x $ less than $ 10.-), and rather gave me 3 x overdraft fees which was many times more than the amounts I had spend.

Coming from Europe and being used to the system that if you don't have the money in your account ...your debit card can't be charged and you won't be able to buy the item and/or spend the money you don't have...I was amazed how greedy banks are and how they want to come across as helping you to buy even if you don't have the money!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
BOA tried to put a hold on a $5000 cashiers check from another local bank. I "politely" threatened the teller and the manager. It was immediately deposited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics