Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:24 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,773,765 times

Advertisements

I did Dd714 and that's why I'm now stating my frustration and outrage here !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well if we are tired of the bailouts we should have made it known in the last vote. Strikes aren't the answer, or shouldn't be the answer. Unfortunetly we replaced one free-spending president with another one that is even more free-spending. Not that either candidate was the solution. I guess americans still want and expect free money, government bail-outs, and entitlements. That was the change they wanted - more free money, bail-outs, and entitlements.

Oh well, make your votes knows in the congressional elections in 2 years and hope that in 4 years a REAL (not one liberal and one RINO) fiscally conservative candidate for once appears on the ballots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM

72 posts, read 220,539 times
Its a nice idea....but it will never happen. Hopefully Obama can "fix it" <-- I tried to post the SNL skit but all the links were taken down by NBC.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
France is doing it this week..actually started today. But of course you won't see this in any US MSM.

Week of mass strikes set to paralyse France in protest against Sarkozy's reforms | World news | The Guardian

France On Strike To Protest Government's Handling Of Financial Crisis

snippet from the Huffington Post article:

"The walk-out has affected transport, education and postal services throughout the country, our correspondent says, and is the biggest one-day strike since [President Nicolas] Sarkozy took up office.
With unemployment looking likely to reach 10% next year, she says, the protesters hope he will drop his programme of cost-cutting reforms and focus instead on protecting workers' jobs and wages."

Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 AM

707 posts, read 1,290,640 times
What drives me crazy is that we don't have any formal protests, just complaining. As a boy growing up in the 60's, we marched for any reason, good or bad. People just seem to sit back and take it today.

I would love to see those 5 million unemployed marching on capitol hill.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:37 AM

72 posts, read 220,539 times
Well here in California, Arnold just cut off welfare checks. I'm pretty sure those people will be protesting. I bought a bat just in case.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 AM

371 posts, read 1,563,870 times
"Lenders are getting money at 0% and charging 5 to 6%."

That just seems unfair to me because that is "our" money we are being charged interest on!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
"Lenders are getting money at 0% and charging 5 to 6%."

That just seems unfair to me because that is "our" money we are being charged interest on!
But they are too big to fail while we are not.
They have bailouts while we have unemployment, food stamps and welfare.
When the money runs out we will replenish the coffers via taxes.

He who owns the money makes the rules. It's becoming more obvious to people now although some people saw this long, long ago and were ridiculed for it.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
What drives me crazy is that we don't have any formal protests, just complaining. As a boy growing up in the 60's, we marched for any reason, good or bad. People just seem to sit back and take it today.

I would love to see those 5 million unemployed marching on capitol hill.
Like with the war, huge discontent but little showing in the street. I think the presence of the net, where you can blog or post or share your feelings through youtube has given people a different way of expressing themselves.

Things get dicey believe that people will get a lot more proactive

Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
Obama is getting ready to feed the company huge contracts while at the same time giving the average woeker like $20.00 less payrol;ll deduction. Then hios plan is to creat alot of tempoary jobs that will take effect in 2010 mostly and reduce unemploymjent a estiamted 1-11/2 percent. By that time either the recession wioll be ending or the unemployemnt will be 12% and worse than now even with the stimulus.Mean wile the arts and other special interest groups will be doing fine with their stimulus payoff.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:11 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,147,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywho View Post
difference being if we all just stopped...that would stop their income and 'freeze' their assets.

Force them to the table.

Just an idealistic thought that passed my way..lol
Prescription for a real depression. Nothing says economic recovery less than a complete lack of productivity and people with no income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics