Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:07 AM

7 posts, read 10,870 times

Advertisements

Hey Woof... what is PO'd ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 AM

Wow.... lazy Americans, fake resumed non citizens....some rude words are being used here.. I wonder if people coining these words say same things when they face the other people from otherside in office... most probably not...most probably faking friendly smiles

I dont think we can or should generalize like this. I worked with Americans who are really god and non americans who really seems to have the experience they say they have. I guess it depends on which consutlancy firm they come from. I know several firms make up their contractor's resumes to market them.

People complaining that they worked with fake resumed non locals,did they complain to their HR/Supervisor ?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Satz..I know I did; not complain but I did mention that the person was not skilled in the area they claimed to be. It didn't matter; the person stayed on the team and the rest of us had to pick up the slack to get the project done.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satz View Post
Hey Woof... what is PO'd ?
p1ssed off (angered).

Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 AM

Hey HappyTexan, that is a problem in most places... Project managers/leads don't want to change people even though they realize they don't have enough exp. or skills. They dont want to take trouble of finding a replacement, train him and explain to higher management on why choose the person in first place and justify the cost to retrain.....

Corporates should ban the consutling services companies (if applicable) which involve i this kind of practice from servicing them again. But they wont.... who will want to loose the kick-backs they get from those servicing companies ?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:35 AM

Default Sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
p1ssed off (angered).

I think I understand why we get pissed off... and probably righly so... but I dont see a solution.... may be latest trend of Govt asking bailed out corporates not to recruit H1Bs could be a step towards it, but see, these Corporates HAD TO BE TOLD to recruit citizens. But corporates worry about margins, not patriotic feelings... If Govt keeps pressing them, when they see that they were not making similar profits, they might think about moving their whole business to a place that opens doors for cheaper alternatives.

But I guess, non citizens who are already in US would get pissed off too, because US govt collected visa fee from them, invited them to US to work and now says you dont have jobs...

Just few thoughts...no offence meant to any one

Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 AM

Lets also remember, the H1Bs we talk about, very quickly become Green card holders and then citizens....The H1Bs you refer to here, might be already in their last satge of getting GCs. So, will Govt start stopping recruiting GC holders ? Or stop giving GCs ? They should, if they come into mode of protectionism, but that's when US stops being a worls super power... stops being a Land of opportunities. A good portion of American wealth is because of Immigrants... world does not t see it as good practice to use Immigrants when US needs them and dispose them off when they dont..

For instance there are several non citizens that studied in their countries in one of the best business schools and IT schools and they are working here in US, contributing to US wealth..and ofcourse taking away some of the jobs... So, Citizens dont like them to come because of their jobs, but do Corporates think the same ? I dont think so...

Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I suggest we set up an H1B system for journalists, politicians, lawyers...and sure, CEOs.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:25 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satz View Post
Lets also remember, the H1Bs we talk about, very quickly become Green card holders and then citizens....The H1Bs you refer to here, might be already in their last satge of getting GCs. So, will Govt start stopping recruiting GC holders ? Or stop giving GCs ? They should, if they come into mode of protectionism, but that's when US stops being a worls super power... stops being a Land of opportunities. A good portion of American wealth is because of Immigrants... world does not t see it as good practice to use Immigrants when US needs them and dispose them off when they dont..

For instance there are several non citizens that studied in their countries in one of the best business schools and IT schools and they are working here in US, contributing to US wealth..and ofcourse taking away some of the jobs... So, Citizens dont like them to come because of their jobs, but do Corporates think the same ? I dont think so...
The thing is the ones who get their GCs end up competing with the new H1Bs. It stinks for them also. I have friends who have their GCs now and can't get jobs. I have friends who are on H1s also being laid off just to be replaced by new H1s. These friends have families/kids etc so they are scared too. They come here for a better life, standard of living and more opportunities and it's being taken away also.

We're just heading towards a decline here in the US. It stinks all around for everyone.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
The H1Bs here do not quickly become citizens. I have heard from some personally that say they must stay at that position where they are allowed to live in the u.s. and it takes them 15 years+ or so to become a citizen. Kind of compares to indentured servitude. I hate this program so much, it is just not well thought out. but the corporations LOVE it, so it will stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics