U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:04 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,382,528 times

Advertisements

Circuit City is going out of business, or so we have been told. But I haven't found real bargains for an allegedly dieing store so far. Anyone knows when the "total clearance" will begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 14 days ago)

14,430 posts, read 16,720,100 times
According to their ads on tv it already has. I sure wish I had one in the vicinity. Just make sure the warrenty is with the manufacturer instead of them.

I so want a nicer, better laptop like the one that dissapeared out the window.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:16 PM

28,393 posts, read 68,066,215 times
Historically, as liquidation sales have replaced a buy-up /and or limited auctions for bankrupt retailers, values of these things for consumers have gotten worse and worse. Way back in the old days the "starting price" for true bankruptcy auction was about 5-10% BELOW wholesale. Now they invite in rubes and start at MSRP and by the time they get down to 50% off of retail the stores look like bomb went off. There are actually firms SPECIALIZING in pouring crummy and out dated merchandise INTO the retail stores to sell to the unsuspecting!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,169,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
... There are actually firms SPECIALIZING in pouring crummy and out dated merchandise INTO the retail stores to sell to the unsuspecting!
I walked into a Circuit City about three days after it announced the full closing of all stores, and the above is the exact impression that I had.

For those who know prices, there were very few special deals, most everything was still higher priced than at Best Buy, Office Depot, Walmart, etc., and the people buying were the unsuspecting who rushed in solely based on the announcement.

Finally, as someone mentioned, when the real clearance begins, in about three weeks, there probably won't be much left to choose from, though it still might be worth going in on the hopes of a lucky find of something you really want/need.

But don't hold your breathe.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,033,503 times
I agree with all of this. The same thing happened when Tower Records went out of business. I shopped there enough to know that their regular prices were about 30% off of retail. Then the liquidation "sale" began, and the prices were only 10% off of retail. Umm, how is this a deal for the consumer again?? There are lots of mutterings from the corporate level of how they have to raise money to pay off their creditors, etc., but the truth is that these types of company implosions are handled by professional companies (I wonder how much they charge for their services!), and they're only there to squeeze every last dime from customers who rarely shop at the store going out of business.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,406,490 times
They did a thing on the news about how the prices at Circuit City weren't lower. The liquidators mark up the prices and then mark them down to be higher than the original cost.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 AM

20,799 posts, read 8,539,005 times
I think the liquidation companies call the shots and what doesn't sell at the store will be sold to discount stores.
This is just an assumption.
I have been to quite a few going out of business sales and there really are no bargains although Kay-Bee toys had some great ones a few days before Xmas which came in handy.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:13 AM

25,355 posts, read 37,553,445 times
A similar thing happened with Bombay and Linen and Things when they liquidated....no real sales just a little discount, not very interesting to even go there.
Specially with Circuit City if you buy something and it doesn't work, do you want to go through the hassle of getting it send to the manufacturer....is that worth 20% discount...there are better deals with online shopping websites!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 AM

339 posts, read 1,351,715 times
About a week and half ago CNN Money did an article about this very topic:

"Liquidation Sales: Buyer Beware"
Top Tips: Join the nation of freelancers - Jan. 22, 2009

Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,929,537 times
Beware of "going out of business" sales.
I was employed at the corporate office in Chicago for Montgomery Ward when they went out of business at the end of 2000. The closing of business is handled by a different company which puts ads in newspapers. These ads announced 30-40% off. The stores were jammed with shoppers expecting incredible bargains. But the prices were actually slightly higher than during regular business. It must be that most people believe that "going out of business" means desperation. It's not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or