U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You'll have to do better than a link to more propoganda from a right-wing think tank. When accused of spreading propoganda you defend yourself by spreading more, clever boy. Taking one from the Goebbels play book, eh?
Facts are facts. I know it's hard for you communist intelligentsia to digest the truth but you have to grow up sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,379,389 times
I am quite surprised this is news to anyone. Since Reagan took office, the American economy has relied heavily on consumerism, whilst the industry was going down on US soil. People were told to buy goods that had been manufactured in China, the very same ones that were being produced in the USA prior to that tendency. The current industry crysis is hardly a novelty. The Rust Belt decay began in the late 70's, places like Gary, IN or Youngstown, OH were once prosperous and rapidly collapsed after the furnaces started to shut down.

Some still blame the unions. Of course, corporations moved their facilities overseas, because they'd rather have slaves in sweatshops than fairly paid employees in America

Old 02-07-2009, 01:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 18,123,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Facts are facts. I know it's hard for you communist intelligentsia to digest the truth but you have to grow up sometime.

Asserting propoganda as factual is straight from the Goebbels playbook, as is calling those who refuse to swallow the nonsense "communists". McCarthy would be proud of you too.

As the American people get wise and refute the policies of the Right you people are getting more and more desperate and saying increasingly outrageous things every day.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Asserting propoganda as factual is straight from the Goebbels playbook, as is calling those who refuse to swallow the nonsense "communists". McCarthy would be proud of you too.

As the American people get wise and refute the policies of the Right you people are getting more and more desperate and saying increasingly outrageous things every day.
If you bother to stop with the ridiculous smears and look at the facts whether there or elsewhere it might open your eyes.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,121,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I am quite surprised this is news to anyone. Since Reagan took office, the American economy has relied heavily on consumerism, whilst the industry was going down on US soil. People were told to buy goods that had been manufactured in China, the very same ones that were being produced in the USA prior to that tendency. The current industry crysis is hardly a novelty. The Rust Belt decay began in the late 70's, places like Gary, IN or Youngstown, OH were once prosperous and rapidly collapsed after the furnaces started to shut down.

Some still blame the unions. Of course, corporations moved their facilities overseas, because they'd rather have slaves in sweatshops than fairly paid employees in America
The problem with many Americans is that they simply can not see well into their future. The limited education they have prevents them from being able put together complex pieces of information to form a general idea. We the people are to blame. We have become wealthy "like" and simple minded at the same time. Being so simple allows people of power to step on those who are weak minded.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,577,430 times
I started up a related thread a few days ago: Offshore Outsourcing penalties should be a component of the Stimulus Bill

Additionally, quite a while ago I started a thread which for historical references has even more information: Outsourcing of US skilled-labor (white collar) jobs

Fundamentally, I believe Offshore Outsourcing is a significant component of the economic woes now facing the United States. The US Government should step in to stem the Outsourcing trend. Yes that move is nationalistic, patriotic, and US-centric, but nearly every other country of the world currently has such economic protectionism already in place; it's about time we had something similar.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,121,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I started up a related thread a few days ago: Offshore Outsourcing penalties should be a component of the Stimulus Bill

Additionally, quite a while ago I started a thread which for historical references has even more information: Outsourcing of US skilled-labor (white collar) jobs

Fundamentally, I believe Offshore Outsourcing is a significant component of the economic woes now facing the United States. The US Government should step in to stem the Outsourcing trend. Yes that move is nationalistic, patriotic, and US-centric, but nearly every other country of the world currently has such economic protectionism already in place; it's about time we had something similar.
I agree that the government must force corporations to bring back jobs to the country. I would like to know what fool thought that selling a cup of coffee or providing some sort of service would help build a nations gross domestic product. Until we accept that outsourcing was wrong for our economy we will sink deeper. No bailout can do what a strong thriving manufacturing plant can. Every time I watch the movie Jumanji I think of the line Robyn Williams says that his fatherís plant made the best shoes in New England. I think that line was added to the movie as a silent message to us the American consumer. Besides Alden Shoes in Middleborough, Massachusetts, there are none left. Pretty sad for a country that prided itís self on providing a lasting and well made product.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 AM

514 posts, read 1,406,045 times
Outsourcing is inevitable, it's just another manifestation of a greatly expanded and greatly integrated world economy after the end of the cold war in which 3 billions+ well-educated and very hard-working people joined the global competition. Unless you want to completely wreck the international economic system which will bring more harm to the Western economy than it'll do to the developing world (we all rely on each other, but we can live without wall street financial innovation or even real innovation like google, but we can't live without oil, gas and all other national resources, most of which are under developing world's control), you have to figure out a way to deal with the sudden influx of people who are better educated AND willing for work more for less. Outsourcing is just a reaction to the imbalance of competitiveness and salary between developing and developed countries. It's painful, it will surely make lots of people feel bad and most of them might not be able to face the reality and blame their own plight on this or that scapegoats, usually this or that government. But the fact of matter is, this is the first time in 400 years that pretty much the whole world operates under a single economic system and competing more or less fairly, without far less distortation brought about by colonialism or communism. US's indebtedness is just a indirect reflection of the relative loss of competitivenss brought about first by emergence of Europe from WWII destruction, then by the emergence of Japan, then South East Asian countris and Korea, the the biggest giant: China. It has little to do with actual government policies, a more nationalistic and protectionalistic policy will reduce US competitveness even more, and it will have other negative effect on the economy even if government forced manufacturing jobs to remain in the states. In sum, what's happening right now is a culmination of gradual shift of world economy, the economy is just trying to rectify what was a grave inbalance in which much of the world's resources and talents were either taken away by the west for free or chosen to lock themselves up in their own nations. Unless a new equalilbium is established under which US and European standard of living must lower substantiallly to reflect the new world economic order, no government policy can stablisze or reverse the relative decline of US manufacturing industry, unless, of course,genetic scientists invents something that can make US workers much much smarter and much much more innovative.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
cheap goods are not cheap.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,362,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
No bailout can do what a strong thriving manufacturing plant can. Every time I watch the movie Jumanji I think of the line Robyn Williams says that his fatherís plant made the best shoes in New England. I think that line was added to the movie as a silent message to us the American consumer. Besides Alden Shoes in Middleborough, Massachusetts, there are none left. Pretty sad for a country that prided itís self on providing a lasting and well made product.
That's the main issue with the economy (aside from the real estate "speculation"). If there are no jobs, then throwing money at the problem isn't going to do anything long term. When people buy cheap stuff, there is a long term price for doing so.

New Balance still makes a portion of their shoes in NE factories. Here is a youtube video tour, and I saw it on a "how things are made" TV show. Their policy is opposite of Nike. They don't spend money on multi-million dollar endorsements, and actually make some products in the US (which are now noted on the website, as to which models).

YouTube - A.R.C. x New Balance Factory Visit - freshnessmag.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics