Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,787,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaindow View Post
This one made me laugh because it's so true. Many years ago my spouse applied for a job at company X and we were surprised we never heard anything back. We shrugged our shoulders and he took a much higher paying consulting job instead. What an interesting twist of faith when his first consulting gig was with the same company X he previously applied at. After a month and half of consulting with the new CIO it came up in conversation that he had applied there but heard nothing so he took the consulting job. The CIO was furious and demanded to know how this happened. They were paying out 3x in consulting fees what they could have had in-house. Turned out his resume made it passed HR but 2-3 months later was still sitting on one of the manager's desk because she - in her own exact words - "could not understand everything on it." At least the manager was fired.
No doubt, LOL! After nearly 25 years in and out of the biz, I'm pretty sure that most recruiters don't understand what it is they are reading in reqs. or resumes.

But this is the first I've heard of a manager having that problem. Biggest problem I find *is* getting past the recruiters to someone who actually understands the work at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 PM

339 posts, read 1,517,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
But this is the first I've heard of a manager having that problem. Biggest problem I find *is* getting past the recruiters to someone who actually understands the work at hand.
I do believe it was really a reflection of *that* particular manager. I don't remember the back story of how she had got the job but she was not qualified for it, very ineffective, and until the aforementioned new CIO came in no one would fire her. I agree with you 100% that - outside of this example - the biggest problem is getting past the recruiters.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
This is just borderline fascist. Now people are not allowed to work abroad anymore if they want to?
Nope....just mainline common sense. It seems that common sense has become facism to some in our society.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:45 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Companies should be able to hire who they want. It is not their job to provide unemployed Americans with jobs. Nobody owes anyone a job.
I agree that no one is owed a job, but it seems just a bit "bizarro world-ish" to have Indians coming to the US on H1B visas, while companies like IBM are laying off Americans (who then have to be supported by American taxpayers). Then, at the same time, we have IBM trying to recruit Americans to go to India and other so-called "developing" nations.

How about companies like IBM just recruit the citizens of "developing" countries to develop at home, and then these companies can hire Americans here in America.

If that's a facist concept, then where do I get my swastika?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:30 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,049,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I agree that no one is owed a job, but it seems just a bit "bizarro world-ish" to have Indians coming to the US on H1B visas, while companies like IBM are laying off Americans (who then have to be supported by American taxpayers). Then, at the same time, we have IBM trying to recruit Americans to go to India and other so-called "developing" nations.

How about companies like IBM just recruit the citizens of "developing" countries to develop at home, and then these companies can hire Americans here in America.

If that's a facist concept, then where do I get my swastika?
Also, there are already H1Bs who are here or Indians that have a green card or a citizen that don't have jobs. They get dumped for new H1Bs or having their work go offshore also.

I was a contractor at one company and worked with other H1Bs. The company was slowly getting rid of all the contractors for a new offshore model. They brought in this new guy who didn't know anything from India to learn everything so it could be moved to offshore. Even my friends who were on H1s were mad! They were like what about us who are here and we'll lose our jobs.

It is all bizarre.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,946,514 times
I worked in Engineering and quite a while back, all the Indians came here for jobs. They came here for a better life and our jobs went to India. No wonder Americans are out of work. What a kicker. We're in big trouble.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,832,340 times
I got a GREAT idea... how about we move the CEOs over to India and pay them Indian salary!!! Then we can save all the jobs over here!!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,176,859 times
There is an unstoppable fundamental shift now in motion and accelerating. TATA Industries of India is producing a new car for $2500 that gets 60 MPG, the Nano. Another Indian manufacturer is going to produce a $20 laptop computer for school children in the villages that will pick up satellite signals. GM auto workers in China make $2 a day.

Now, where does that leave us with our $70 an hour auto assemblers and our $100 million CEOs?

Out of work.

My advice to my fellow Americans: Learn a few useful phrases in Hindi and Mandarin and invest in a shoe shine kit.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,335,499 times
"a pretty sad statement for America when you have to leave your country in order to find a job" yes, this is what all the other countries have been coming to america for for years now. leaving their own home country. Is it coming to that? The large corporations would surely love it. Now they can operate in all those countries with little or no government or safety regulation.

And yes, the govt gives out the visas, but the big corps lobby the govt. annually to give out more H1B visas... Yes, there is a need for foreign workers who can be used for positions they cannot find a qualified american worker for... BUT the thing is, this is abused because the corps write job descriptions that skew it so they ask for degrees that american universities mostly do not offer. The program is mainly used for one particularly Industry so why should that industry get all the benefits from this program? Not fair.

Many of the people applying used xeroxed resumes from unknown foreign universities, and you better believe that they are not checked. And yes, the program specifies that they must be paid the same standard wage that they would pay a qualified american for the same job, BUT these corps all use "pay grades" or "scales" which means they can pay at the lower end of a "grade" or "scale"... this is all regularly done... loophole city.

This program is SO SO SO outmoded it is not funny. It needs to be re-vamped.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 PM

206 posts, read 1,134,143 times
Let's try another perspective. What about the Inidan (and employees from other countries ) that are here in the US and are not happy. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Wouldn't this be a prime opportunity for one of them to "go home".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics