Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:46 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
Let's try another perspective. What about the Inidan (and employees from other countries ) that are here in the US and are not happy. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Wouldn't this be a prime opportunity for one of them to "go home".
Well a few of them have gone home that I know of. They like it better there and miss their family. Plus the standard of living has gotten better in some areas so they are willing to go back.

HOWEVER,almost all of them (that I know) do NOT want to go back. They like it here and they like the living here so they want to stay here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Let's try another perspective. What about the Inidan (and employees from other countries ) that are here in the US and are not happy. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Wouldn't this be a prime opportunity for one of them to "go home".
Yes, it's a great opportunity. I suggest they do so right away. I would also suggest that our government give them a nudge to do so.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:44 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
My experience is that they don't want to go home. On several jobs I saw Indian couples intentionally have a baby here in order to expedite immigration.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Yes and many are. I was in Saudi Arabia last year and saw that lots of Indians were resigning and heading back to India. There are jobs in India now, so they don't have to leave family, friends and country to work at minimum wage for the Saudis anymore. Of course, the economic slump is worldwide, so a person would be unwise to leave a secure job right now where ever it is. I expect the economy to cure the illegal immigrant problem better too than any law or fence could do.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Companies should be able to hire who they want. It is not their job to provide unemployed Americans with jobs. Nobody owes anyone a job.
That's kinda funny. Companies aren't really allowed to hire whoever they want. There's tons of laws against discrimination, etc. etc.

Furthermore, Companies EXIST because of government (therefore a Country's people). Without that business license, incorporation, etc. guess what, you'll be doing business in the States illegally.

If lack of laws and low to no standards is what companies look for, then make your money solely in those Countries. If you want to make money in the States, then you have to follow rule of law and the wishes of the government. You have to follow the laws when you do business elsewhere too... just some places succumb to cronyism and under the table dealings more often and better than here (as we're finding out with Sataym and also in China with their "official" government ministers).

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 02-08-2009 at 10:58 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Amazing. In the New Jersey Forum there are always posts about people from India in the IT field getting jobs and moving here.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:41 PM

206 posts, read 1,134,995 times
New Jersey is home to many many corporations. IBM has several large office buildings there ...and YES there are MANY Inidians/Pakistani employees there.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:40 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's media hype. I'm in IT and there's not one person I know of that would chuck it all and move to India or China.
IF a company offered me the same or similar level of pay - I'd say no more than 20% down from what I had been making (which they likely would not),
and IF said company paid for my living arrangements, travel, food, clothing, etc (Which they would not)...
and IF said company provided me a written contract that states either (A) no layoff for a period of at least 5 years from execution or (B) if I am laid off, I get full severance, with the option for rehire. If I'm rehired and laid off again, even if only one day after, I get full severance again as if I'd never left,

Then yes, I would definitely go to China. India I'd have to think about, but I'd probably do it.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 PM

51 posts, read 106,582 times
I just became a manager at a big tech company. My resumes get filtered and I am discouraged from hiring an experienced american. Instead, either a minority or a H1B holder. It is a scam, and america won't do anything about it. The amount of intellectual property shipped out of the country in the last 15 years is staggering. Our survival as a nation is in serious trouble, both on a business and military front......

Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The multinationals don't care. It's all about the bottom line. The execs are rich enough that they CAN live in a bubble and not care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics