Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What people don't realize is the cause and effect here. Your spending cuts are causing the jobless rate. If you buy less, companies will produce less thus need less workers. I don't think a "stimulas bill" will help if people are being frugal with their funds. Treat yourself to something special, so you can help stimulate your economy.
I think people realize this. In my case and many other peoples cases, there is very little job security this year and while I understand the need to stimulate the economy its quite foolish to continue to spend money if you are unsure whether or not you'll be employed in 6 months. Because you know what? If i lose my job there isn't anyone out there who is going to pay my mortgage or come to my rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I agree and I'm not going to say "I told you so" but I am going to roll my eyes a bit. For 10 years I have had to endure people telling me about 'good debt' and using debt as a tool to build wealth, that we can't take it with us so we might as well have some fun, that it was STUPID to save up and pay cash for home renovations instead of max out a HELOC.
I don't know who your friends are, but I've never met anyone who acted as if I was "depriving myself of air" by not buying frivolous things, especially Starbucks coffee. Perhaps you need to find yourself some friends who are less shallow.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Back to the OP:

My wife and I are headed across the border to British Columbia next weekend (we live in Washington state) for skiing and hot springs, instead of to the Caribbean.

We figure to realize a substantial savings by opting for a more modest early spring vacation. Unless we fall down and break something, that is.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What people don't realize is the cause and effect here. Your spending cuts are causing the jobless rate. If you buy less, companies will produce less thus need less workers. I don't think a "stimulas bill" will help if people are being frugal with their funds. Treat yourself to something special, so you can help stimulate your economy.
The last economic 'boom' was a mirage. People couldn't afford all the crap they were spending money on, those jobs were based partly on the false picture of wealth created by over-leveraging and 'creative financing'. It was a house of cards and mirrors, little substance. We don't fix that by adding more cards and mirrors!! It is fixed by adjusting to what is realistic, scaling back to something manageable. We can't keep up with the negative savings rate and increased debt load just to keep the fantasy train rolling. Yup, some people are going to lose their jobs, but it will turn around in time...I suspect faster without the pork package. I have to look out first for my personal economy....as we all should!! For many people right now that means scaling back, saving and paying off debt, not spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I don't know who your friends are, but I've never met anyone who acted as if I was "depriving myself of air" by not buying frivolous things, especially Starbucks coffee. Perhaps you need to find yourself some friends who are less shallow.
I didn't say my friends. I said people. And I'll add this, if people don't think your frugal ways are 'weird' and try to give you normal financial advice then there are 3 possible explanations I can think of off the top of my head.
1. They are all just as frugal
2. You're not really all that frugal
3. You do a REALLY good job of hiding your frugality.

If you interact with normal people at all you WILL hear some of the above posted 'advice' regarding finances. Yes, normal people are shallow financially and no...most of my friends are not as weird as we are but we try to keep it to ourselves IRL.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
My husband works for an architecture firm and like the other firms in town, they have had lay offs. Thankfully, he still has his job but all the salaries were cut 20% for the time being. Ouch! We have cut down on meals out, housecleaning service, cut out WeightWatcher's membership, Gro Green lawn service, my husband's fitness club membership. We are looking for other cuts to survive this but right now, we may have to consider downsizing our house (which we were considering anyway.) I am trying at this point just to keep my eyes on God and believe that He is our ultimate provider, not our jobs.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Things are getting pretty bad for me. The only real thing left to cut back on is food. I eat pasta and sauce, toast and eggs I got on sale, and tonight I made soup out of a head of cabbage.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Looks like I've been living frugally...

Don't have a cell phone, cable, car note, gym membership, go to clubs or Starbucks and I take care of my own yard...

I do have DSL Internet... but it's work related...

Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Things are getting pretty bad for me. The only real thing left to cut back on is food. I eat pasta and sauce, toast and eggs I got on sale, and tonight I made soup out of a head of cabbage.
Hey I love Italian food, and toast and eggs. And there are various other ways one can cut back on the food bill....basically the more you make yourself the more you save. Those pre-made dinners and things are generally not just unhealthy but expensive. And that's one thing winter is good for...eg hot soups/etc are more appealing and easy/relatively cheap to make. And fortunately I love PBJs too

Old 02-12-2009, 10:13 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Rather than recreational shopping I'm getting into simple things and myself. I'm reading more, exercising more, knitting and cooking. It's actually wonderful.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Quit paying the bills. LOL J/K.

No, thankfully I have very few bills - car/home paid for, but have a couple of small credit cards I owe on, thats about it.

Did cancel the cell phones (911 still works).

Electric bill still running out of this world, as is water bill. Still have to pay car insurance too.... and car maintainence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics