U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 AM
 
17,422 posts, read 26,337,929 times
Reputation: 8358

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
You would be surprised to know there are still many big companies who don't do background check and drug test. Plus, international background check takes a long time to complete, depending on how thorough and how far back the background check is requested. For example, India background check will take 1-2 months to complete, China will take as much as 4 months to complete. So many companies forgo international background check because they don't want to wait that long for their new hires to start.
Every one who enters in the USA is undergoing a kind of background check other wise you won't receive your visa...I understand that some countries are corrupt and the US should take a better look at their visa applicants but coming from Europe and having gone through the visa process....I have seen people in The Netherlands being refused a visa just at their first visit to the embassy....you get a kind of interview and you have to show papers and I have seen people leave in tears after being refused in front of many others who can over hear the person being asked questions....we were only send away to get a better pics. since there was a tiny shadow beside our ears on the pics. and the embassy told us to have the pics. redu....when you get to the approved photographer you start to think if this is a business deal or scam since 90% is send for the tiny shadow and only this photographer is mentioned by the embassy....maybe they have a deal...
For the rest the process is pretty strict and you have to remember when US worker go to work in other countries, the same things can happen...slow background checks, no background checks, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2009, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Olympus Mons, Mars
3,396 posts, read 5,636,503 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
In my team at my old company, we all became very close friends. There was 7 other people on the team. ALL SEVEN LIED on their resumes. 6 of them said they had 5 years of experience when they started out, when they really had ZERO years.

It took me 6 years to get to a level of work they were doing because I was stupid and told the truth on my resume. And I ONLY got the job because my husband was working there and the manager LOVED him so she hired me as well.

Honestly, I felt so stupid working for peanuts for years when I could have just done what they did years and years ago.
Live and learn... corporate America is not as straightforward as they would like you to believe. There is massive fraud and politics in many companies in upper level management but they will publish their official statement saying how honest they are and how much integrity they have In reality they are nothing but a bunch of lying thieves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
 
Location: the D
347 posts, read 1,018,924 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I graduated knowing jack from my CS degree. I had a horrible time looking for a job as I graduated right after the dotcom bust. Yet all these indians were coming from abroad making more than I was. Why? Because they lied on their resume and have a great support system. They help each by moving heaven and earth. We don't do that.

In my team at my old company, we all became very close friends. There was 7 other people on the team. ALL SEVEN LIED on their resumes. 6 of them said they had 5 years of experience when they started out, when they really had ZERO years.

It took me 6 years to get to a level of work they were doing because I was stupid and told the truth on my resume. And I ONLY got the job because my husband was working there and the manager LOVED him so she hired me as well.
OK, so you know jack after graduating your CS, and got a job only because your husband worked there, so what makes you better than anyone else even if they lied on their resume?

BTW, its impossible for a person with Zero experience to convince anyone that they have Five years of experience.

Quote:
It's an IT job. The thing is they don't need to know how to perform the task from Day One, because Day One they meet another Indian who speaks their language and that guy will actually DO the work for him AND teach him the ropes. Give him the answers, how to write emails, give him passwords, etc.
So doesnt this make the teaching guy look unproductive since he is spending his time teaching instead of working?
Any company can figure out if this really happens.
And since you knew jack after your CS and you ONLY got the job because your husband was working there and the manager LOVED him so she hired you as well, how can anyone believe you knew how to perform from Day One?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,193 posts, read 3,708,921 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
OK, so you know jack after graduating your CS, and got a job only because your husband worked there, so what makes you better than anyone else even if they lied on their resume?
I'm not saying I'm better than anyone. But I was responding to people who are saying Indians on H1Bs are better than us and know more than Americans which is not true.

Quote:
BTW, its impossible for a person with Zero experience to convince anyone that they have Five years of experience.
Maybe it is, but all 7 of the people I was working with lied on their resumes and said they had 5 years when they had zero. So then the conclusion is management of companies don't care they are lying.

Quote:
And since you knew jack after your CS and you ONLY got the job because your husband was working there and the manager LOVED him so she hired you as well, how can anyone believe you knew how to perform from Day One?
Good point, I got hired only because of who I knew which is a reality of the world. I would do the same thing. I would hire my friends or people I know if I had my own company. But I guess what upsets me is they are lying on their resume and from my perspective seems to be the only reason they are getting the jobs over other candidates.

If you have to candidates who graduated from college in 2009, same day and time, same GPA, but one decided to lie on their resume and put 5 years experience, then the one who lied gets the interview. The one who actually told the truth doesn't even get a call back or a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
 
Location: the D
347 posts, read 1,018,924 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Maybe it is, but all 7 of the people I was working with lied on their resumes and said they had 5 years when they had zero. So then the conclusion is management of companies don't care they are lying.
So how do these companies get the work done?
What do they deliver to their clients?
If all of your team was incompetent, how come it didnt get scratched off?

Quote:
Good point, I got hired only because of who I knew which is a reality of the world. I would do the same thing. I would hire my friends or people I know if I had my own company. But I guess what upsets me is they are lying on their resume and from my perspective seems to be the only reason they are getting the jobs over other candidates.
Reality of the world?
Agreed they are lying on their resume, but consider this...
A well qualified experienced American applies for a job but doesnt get it because YOU get hired just because you "know someone". Well done.

Quote:
I would do the same thing. I would hire my friends or people I know if I had my own company.
First you complain that you have a problem with these Indians on H1B being helped by their friends, and now you say you will do the same thing. Double standards?

Quote:
If you have to candidates who graduated from college in 2009, same day and time, same GPA, but one decided to lie on their resume and put 5 years experience, then the one who lied gets the interview. The one who actually told the truth doesn't even get a call back or a chance.
Really?
I have never had to lie on my resume, my first job right after I finished my engineering paid peanuts, but after that I have always found better paying jobs in my field. (I have about 10 years of experience now and this is my 4th job)
Sure there were a lot of rejections, but if you know your stuff and there are openings, there is no problem in finding a job.

Looks like in your opinion, getting a job based on knowing someone in the company is perfectly ethical and fair and thats the way it should be.
In that case, why would anyone bother studying at all?

And BTW, are you against H1B or against Indians or against Indians on H1B or all of the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,193 posts, read 3,708,921 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
So how do these companies get the work done?
What do they deliver to their clients?
If all of your team was incompetent, how come it didnt get scratched off?
Where did I saw they were incompetent? Don't put words in my mouth.
They aren't incompetent people. However they start off with zero years of experience like the rest of us. So it's equal footing, yet they get the job opportunity and the real world experience because they are lying on their resumes.

Quote:
Reality of the world?
Agreed they are lying on their resume, but consider this...
A well qualified experienced American applies for a job but doesnt get it because YOU get hired just because you "know someone". Well done.
One is being dishonest. The other isn't being dishonest. Don't we all do this, we refer our friends and family to companies? You'd do the same if you have a company? Your friends are probably similar in intellect as you, so you figure they'll be able to do the job also. When I got hired, my resume was real, they knew my experience. I didn't lie. They knew I was the wife of a person who worked there.

Quote:
First you complain that you have a problem with these Indians on H1B being helped by their friends, and now you say you will do the same thing. Double standards?
I said that because I saw your point of view and agreed w/ it. That's why I said that. I think it's a part of human nature to help out your friends or hire someone you like.

Quote:
Really?
I have never had to lie on my resume, my first job right after I finished my engineering paid peanuts, but after that I have always found better paying jobs in my field. (I have about 10 years of experience now and this is my 4th job)
Sure there were a lot of rejections, but if you know your stuff and there are openings, there is no problem in finding a job.
looks like in your opinion, getting a job based on knowing someone in the company is perfectly ethical and fair and thats the way it should be.
In that case, why would anyone bother studying at all?
Of course when you are at the job, you have to perform. So you need to know something and then learn as you go. But it's the getting the job part. The H1Bs are LYING on their resumes to get the initial job when the rest of us aren't. You said yourself you started off getting paid peanuts, if you just lied like the rest of them you'd probably had started off with a much higher salary.

Quote:
And BTW, are you against H1B or against Indians or against Indians on H1B or all of the above?
LOL, none. I'm against the lying and the deceit. My dad was born in India and a bunch of my good friends are Indian as well.

I just feel the H1Bs and the Americans here are on equal footing but the H1Bs are getting the jobs for various reasons (lying about experience, working as contractors, lower pay and no benefits, etc). Both H1Bs and Americans don't have the experience, but if an American is trained like the H1B is being trained, they would be just as successful.

Why can't companies like Microsoft just train the Americans who are here and need jobs? The Indians who come don't have the 'so called' experience and skill that these companies say they need. These companies say 'oh no Americans fit the qualifications like the Indians do.'

Bullsht. The Indians don't have the qualifications either, they learn it on the job like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,313 posts, read 8,735,659 times
Reputation: 7904
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
In my team at my old company, we all became very close friends. There was 7 other people on the team. ALL SEVEN LIED on their resumes. 6 of them said they had 5 years of experience when they started out, when they really had ZERO years.

It took me 6 years to get to a level of work they were doing because I was stupid and told the truth on my resume. And I ONLY got the job because my husband was working there and the manager LOVED him so she hired me as well.

Honestly, I felt so stupid working for peanuts for years when I could have just done what they did years and years ago.
A note to newcomers: this is an old thread.

I don't know what the situation is like now, except that there are still foreign programmers being hired while Americans go begging. Recently I heard yet again that there were pleas for more foreigners to be allowed in, because the American programmers needing a job supposedly had vanished somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,193 posts, read 3,708,921 times
Reputation: 1061
Ok I just realized what comment you were referring to when you said I was racist. I don't think it's racist. I didn't say I only want to help white people or black people. I just said I think we should help people who are here in our own communities, our neighbors, etc. They themselves may be Indian, mexican, muslim, black, etc. If our own neighbors are struggling, why not give them job training or a support system? What's wrong with that? The Indian community does it and does it well. It's admirable and it's something we can learn from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,313 posts, read 8,735,659 times
Reputation: 7904
So runningcircles .... do you believe that Indians have some sort of special racial talent in computer science that American citizens lack? If so, how did you come by it (I'm assuming that you aren't from India)?

You seem to feel that the many Americans who need programming jobs are less worthy of consideration than the Indians ..... who coincidentally are willing to work for lower wages and no benefits. Look at all the Americans willing to work at it ..... and yet Microsoft and the others are begging for ......... noncitizens. Noncitizens who coincidentally are willing to work for lower wages and no benefits, but of course that has nothing to do with passing over qualified Americans to hire them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 03:47 PM
 
1,020 posts, read 1,846,785 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
So runningcircles .... do you believe that Indians have some sort of special racial talent in computer science that American citizens lack? If so, how did you come by it (I'm assuming that you aren't from India)?

You seem to feel that the many Americans who need programming jobs are less worthy of consideration than the Indians ..... who coincidentally are willing to work for lower wages and no benefits. Look at all the Americans willing to work at it ..... and yet Microsoft and the others are begging for ......... noncitizens. Noncitizens who coincidentally are willing to work for lower wages and no benefits, but of course that has nothing to do with passing over qualified Americans to hire them.
You really have to read the whole post. I said Indians value educating themselves more than most Americans, which I'll stand by. That does not equate to me saying they come out of the womb with a keyboard attached to their belly instead of an umbilical cord.

Currently, I teach computer science, and there is a dearth of American students within engineering and CS. It's a sad but true reality. Ever since the dotcom bust, many students have shied away from CS and CmpE because they're not making 200K right out of college... and they STILL have to work hard at it. That's why the CS curriculum seems watered down now. Instead, they move towards the liberal arts thinking they NEED a college degree for a job, or they go into finance and management to become *gasp* an investment banker to make 6 digit salaries. Guess which fields have a lower enrollment this year after the banking crisis...

Last edited by runningncircles1; 02-08-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, - Top