Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:07 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Im haven't looked much into this story, but wasn't it something like everyone was making a 10% return on investment every single year? If that was the case then I could understand why someone would refi to do something like that. It's easy to look back and see something was wrong. Not so easy to do that before it has happened.
But the guy is in his 90's and his house was probably paid for. Why put your home in jeopardy and refinance for a few extra bucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Thats too bad. Madoff is the crook of a lifetime, and needs the same amount of jail time.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Ben Lomond Madoff Victim, 90, Returns To Work - cbs5.com (http://www.cbs5.com//local/elderly.madoff.victim.2.929316.html - broken link)

A 90 year old man has gone back to work earning $10 an hour after losing his life savings to Bernie Madoff. How sad . And even worse, he re-fi'd his home to invest even more money with Madoff.
Madoff is pond scum. But, I'm sorry at 90 years old that man should "not" have been taking any risks. That was pure greed and now he's paying for it.
And he refinanced his home. The greed and stupidity of people astounds me and then they want other people to feel bad for them.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
He doesn't want sympathy, although I do have it for him. He seems like a good man.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:30 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
What a greedy old fool. At age 90 you cant take your wealth to heaven or hell. Why Why Why.......
He was probably living off the dividends. I think madoff paid like 10% per annum or something like that.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:31 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Thats too bad. Madoff is the crook of a lifetime, and needs the same amount of jail time.
yup, Madoff should be given life in prison. His assets should be liquidated and paid back to the investors.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 AM

22 posts, read 68,281 times
Let's play devils advocate here, this man should never have been invested with Madoff, or indeed any kind of equity-like products at his stage in life. All people either in, or approaching retirement should be in low risk fixed income or debt products

Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
He doesn't want sympathy, although I do have it for him. He seems like a good man.

"he seems like a good man". Then let me ask why did he refinance his home at such an old age? That sounds like a scam because he knew he wouldn't live to pay it back, JMO.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
Not sure why there's all this venom for this poor guy. People are reading things that are not in the article. For example, everyone comments that he refinanced his house. There is no reference to that except a comment about house payments, which could mean taxes. Also, you have no idea whether he needed money for medical bills or not, which he clearly has. He is simply living off the interest from his savings. So, where is all the greed in that?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
Not sure why there's all this venom for this poor guy. People are reading things that are not in the article. ... He is simply living off the interest from his savings. So, where is all the greed in that?
True, I can see a 90 yr old who is not expecting to be raped by a sleaze (and probably a kind and understanding acct manager) being a tad rusty on 'financial strategy'. As we know, there are far more astute investors buried in this fraud, as well as the sleeping watchdogs.

I found myself dangerously close to investing my personal real estate gains into a 'sure thing' title holding equity position in Senior Housing that was paying 9%... 1 yr later a huge mess, one of the largest bankruptcies in the industry with 274 senior housing centers involved. The principle manager who created the failure negotiated $54,000 / month to cover his expenses during the proceedings (Plus his legal expenses paid). I had been getting 11% in my RE that I sold, so felt 9% for bridge lending with asset secured was not too greedy.

Sunwest investors say they didn't get the full story - OregonLive.com
Sunwest's ex-CEO is highly paid -- $54,000 a month -- for failure - OregonLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics