Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,365,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
Yeah, seriously. What happened to the movies you had to drop off? What does one DO in a situation like that?
LOL Sorry. We put them in the drop slot, there was a large pile. The note on the door said they were closed for good, and management would be checking in the movies within the next few days. I haven't seen anyone in there since, so I have no idea if the manager did come back to check the movies in. When you drive past, you can see the shelves on the walls still have movies on them. The Domino's pizza in our town did the same thing last month. The owner called the employees and said 'This is your last day.' Everything is still sitting in that store too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,698,530 times
So many deserving candidates for going-out-of business on this list.

Krispy Kreme--What were they thinking?? There's a 3 story Krispy Kreme here in Seattle that takes up nearly a whole block. The Eiffel Tower of donuts? That's just dumb. Doughnuts have a limited audience. If they had stayed small they probably would have survived. Nobody needs three floors of donut palace.

Blockbuster--A business I love to hate. I wouldn't rent a movie from them if they had the last movie on earth. No matter when you return a movie, even five minutes after you rented it--it's late and you get pasted with the late fee. Blockbuster can rot and die.

Sborro--The food is terrible slop. Period.

Six Flags--Years ago there was one Six Flags and it was special, prices were affordable. Then they put up half a dozen more SF clones, jacked the prices so that it cost 300 bucks to take your kids there for the day, and the specialness of the original park never translated onto the spinoffs. Meh. They should have just stayed with the one very successful park and they'd probably remain in business.

Chrysler--Been languishing on life support 20 years. Nobody will miss them. Take your big, ugly, square, broke down cars and go already.

Rite Aid--What a dump. I was in one today. Terrible poduct selection, run down stores, empty shelves, high prices. Good riddance.

Sirius Satellite Radio--Too bad about that one really, I think there is a real market for satellite radio. The few times I had access to it I loved it. Ridiculously expensive for the subscriber though.

And the rest of them I'm not terribly familiar with, if they're anything like most of the business above, they deserve to go under. RIP.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,846,546 times
I'm surprised Lord and Taylor is not on this list.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,623,994 times
Trump was mentioned on the list as well...Now we know why Trump is so for this wasting bill...he expects some money and Bush probable didn't want to give him any that is why Trump is bashing Bush and all for Obama...isn't it all politics..just like Hollywood so behind Obama and now in this spending bill Hollywood gets 274 million from Obama....

Old 02-10-2009, 08:59 PM

138 posts, read 368,125 times
Claire's Stores. - could care less, there are way too many of this type of store in any strip mall in anytown, USA.

Sbarro. - I hope not, since Fizolli's closed, this is my last choice for Italian that doesn't break the bank.

Six Flags. - Depends on if the parks change ownership or close completely. It would be a devastating loss if Six Flags closed all their parks.

Blockbuster. I am one who has not jumped on the Netflix bandwagon yet and still use Blockbuster.

Krispy Kreme. This one will dissappoint me probably the most. I love Krispy Kremes. They probably would be doing okay however had they not went the Starbucks route back in the late '90s and early '00s and built up way too many stores.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,803,502 times
Rite-Aid will definitely bite the dust soon. I had been getting my prescription filled at the location in my town, but i transferred it about 4 months ago to a Rite-Aid near work. That location has now closed. Instead of transferring my records back to the original location in my hometown, or to one of Rite-Aid's other locations in the city where i work(2 locations within 3miles of the closing store), what did they do? They sold their customer list to the nearby CVS!!!!!!!!! YJCMTSU.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,801,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
So many deserving candidates for going-out-of business on this list.

Krispy Kreme--What were they thinking?? There's a 3 story Krispy Kreme here in Seattle that takes up nearly a whole block. The Eiffel Tower of donuts? That's just dumb. Doughnuts have a limited audience. If they had stayed small they probably would have survived. Nobody needs three floors of donut palace.

Blockbuster--A business I love to hate. I wouldn't rent a movie from them if they had the last movie on earth. No matter when you return a movie, even five minutes after you rented it--it's late and you get pasted with the late fee. Blockbuster can rot and die.

Sborro--The food is terrible slop. Period.

Six Flags--Years ago there was one Six Flags and it was special, prices were affordable. Then they put up half a dozen more SF clones, jacked the prices so that it cost 300 bucks to take your kids there for the day, and the specialness of the original park never translated onto the spinoffs. Meh. They should have just stayed with the one very successful park and they'd probably remain in business.

Chrysler--Been languishing on life support 20 years. Nobody will miss them. Take your big, ugly, square, broke down cars and go already.

Rite Aid--What a dump. I was in one today. Terrible poduct selection, run down stores, empty shelves, high prices. Good riddance.

Sirius Satellite Radio--Too bad about that one really, I think there is a real market for satellite radio. The few times I had access to it I loved it. Ridiculously expensive for the subscriber though.

And the rest of them I'm not terribly familiar with, if they're anything like most of the business above, they deserve to go under. RIP.
Been there, done that. Ever tried to fight a late charge with Blockbuster? It's like trying to take a bottle of Night Train from a bum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics