U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

American economy in bad shape, Americanís not making anything, no manufacturing base, America importing everything from China, outsourcing, made in China

Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,055,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
the economy is bad partly because your economy is a pyramid scheme. everyone knows it's a crazy teeter-totter, the downside of capitalism ending in easy exploitation.

you pay millions to celebrities and people who run and catch balls. you expect a mcdonalds worker to show up all smiles and shine when his/her pay could barely afford a place to live, let alone decent transportation to and from work etc.
Yea, this is true. But the way I look at it those players are really international salesman. Through there ability to throw a ball they indirectly cause the massive ticket sales, food sales, beer sales, parking ticket sales, apparel sales, cable TV sales and the list goes on... I mean, think about how much money Best Buy and say Sony's sales would drop if over night the NFL went out of business. BTW, NFL players have a short life span anyway; sad to say...

I will tell you what though; this hole scam of owners getting tax payers to foot the bill to build a new stadium then charge crazy prices for a ticket to see a simple ball game it just insane!

As far as menial jobs and the pay that goes along with it; trust me, I know, my mom did that all her life and its sucks. Americans trample over our bus drivers, janitors and factory workers just to get a peak of some cocaine snorting celeb..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Soldiers.

Ohh my, DON'T get me started on this!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Also high quality welfare abuser and high quality tax collector... LOL

Back to OP's original question, yes we can. My Fender and Gibson guitar that I got 10 years ago were all made in the US paid with lots of tears and sweat, and the quality is WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the ones made in china, mexico or korea...
Yea, back then they were made in Southern California where they originally were born.. Today, I know one of the big brands (I think fender) is now made over seas..

Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 AM

277 posts, read 551,697 times
We make lots of great stuff here, our Aerospace industry is the best in the world.

If you are well off you can buy lots of high quality American made electronics and automation equipment. I have an automated house and most of the stuff is U.S. made and of very high quality.
I know many people would not want to pay $150 for a light switch but if it lasts 20 years or more it is not so expensive in the long run. I don't get around so well so I can't always just get up to shut it off myself.

I also believe our auto industry has been turning things around quality wise and doing a much better job then they get credit for, now if only enough people buy them to keep them afloat.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,058,521 times
Were quite good at booze as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or