U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

American economy in bad shape, Americanís not making anything, no manufacturing base, America importing everything from China, outsourcing, made in China

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,047,613 times

Advertisements

You know, when it boils right down to it, I believe one of the key reasons our economy is in the tank is because we don't make much of anything anymore; and after I watched this documentary about the construction of LNG supertankers I'm sad to say that I can't even see Americans building anything of high quality. I mean, in this video even the workers look like robots!

Hulu - National Geographic Channel: SuperTanker (http://www.hulu.com/watch/47227/national-geographic-channel-supertanker - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,967,124 times
Americans can make great products. The problem is Unions. They strong arm industries to giving even bad employees huge pay and benefits they don't deserve and make it hard to fire those bad employees. If it's so hard to get fired then why bother even trying to work hard.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:16 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
There are in fact alot of americans that build things of very high quality. Resently I saw a progrma were they were speaking to one of china leading industrial manufacturers and he was commenting that tyhe US was genrations ahead of them in ver techincal manufactruring. he basically said that he relly didn't understand why many companies in US made such basiuc manufauctrewd things that countruies like his that has masses of unskiled workers could make.He pointed out that many of the machines thast they used we US produced and many of the psrts for more techincal things. Also he poited out that the US had a huge lead in innnovation because of the way that US workers were educated. I was surprised that in the recent past china has taken 45 mililon workers off the govenment guarnateed income rolls into the free market there.The average chinese workers is still only capable of basic labor as they lag far behind in education and skilled training.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
you are so right we need to get back to making things again. and soon.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM

11,456 posts, read 8,133,032 times
I dont know...America seems to produce alot of quality liberal whiners...

Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,047,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There are in fact alot of americans that build things of very high quality. Resently I saw a progrma were they were speaking to one of china leading industrial manufacturers and he was commenting that tyhe US was genrations ahead of them in ver techincal manufactruring. he basically said that he relly didn't understand why many companies in US made such basiuc manufauctrewd things that countruies like his that has masses of unskiled workers could make.He pointed out that many of the machines thast they used we US produced and many of the psrts for more techincal things. Also he poited out that the US had a huge lead in innnovation because of the way that US workers were educated. I was surprised that in the recent past china has taken 45 mililon workers off the govenment guarnateed income rolls into the free market there.The average chinese workers is still only capable of basic labor as they lag far behind in education and skilled training.
If you could post the video you are talking about or the name of it that would be great!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:45 PM

362 posts, read 678,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post

you seriously can't be working as a writer, right? I swear, I think that the U.S. just has alot of tax burdens that thes Corporate thugs don't want to encounter, so hence we see the actions of other countries towards us. they think we're nothing to them, yet we probably pay for the BED that they lay in.

seriously it's all about corporations and how regulated they are.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,520,662 times
I heard Boeing airplanes fly pretty good....are they still made in the US?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 PM

931 posts, read 3,409,755 times
Not really.

Power tools? Houses?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM

17,749 posts, read 15,026,257 times
Default Does it make a difference?

BBC NEWS | Business | Japan's industrial output plunges

If we made anything of quality who would buy it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or