U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Are YOU Cutting Back For the Economy? (Choose As Many As You Want)
Smaller House or Apartment 15 23.08%
Get Rid of Pets 2 3.08%
Private School for Children 6 9.23%
Older or Smaller Car/ No New Car 29 44.62%
Boat/ RV/Motorcycle or Other Vehicle 7 10.77%
Internet/Cable or Satellite TV or Radio 11 16.92%
Wal*Mart Instead of Grocery Stores or Dept Stores 17 26.15%
Cell Phones/ Home Phone 4 6.15%
Delay Retirement 14 21.54%
Delay College/ Children's College 4 6.15%
Not Taking Vacation/ Vacation Close To Home 34 52.31%
Stop or Cut IRA Contributions 13 20.00%
Other 16 24.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:33 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times

Advertisements

At least nobody has chosen to throw Fido overboard yet! I guess that is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 PM

12,870 posts, read 12,770,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not sure I understand this topic. Cutting back and sacrificing, ironically, will make the economy worse. Obama's stimulus package is intended to get people to spend, not cut back.
i certainly hope that isn't the plan! what put this country started on the road to ruin was all of the spending without the incomes to match. people still spent like we were a manufacturing economy long after we ceased to be one. hopefully, we won't make the same mistake again! the plan should only be focused on increasing income with better jobs / more jobs /manufacturing, not increasing spending disproportionately. that is why the last stimulus bill was useless.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,736,031 times
I already sacrificed $100k out of my 401k and I just know I will get nailed for more tax by Obama. Not real big on any further sacrifice.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:58 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,318,483 times
Smile Responsible Decisions

Each of us needs to make responsible decisions. If you can afford to go out to dinner, do it. If you cannot, wait. Finish high school. Go to college or a trade school. Find a job that you enjoy and maybe one that won't be outsourced (one of my pet peeves). Live within your means but have goals.

We all know misers and martyrs - they're not very pleasant to be around, are they? We know people on the other end of the spectrum - party, party, party. There is a balance needed.

I think that's what America needs - a balance.

Also, America:
**Stop outsourcing - bring our jobs back
**Illegal (catch that word) immigration - stop it
**Give companies incentives for positive programs like wellness, etc.
**and that's just a start

Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM

3,219 posts, read 5,652,320 times
Default Not when this is happening.....see link

I posted this in two other threads but it applies here too.

Home Page

Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
I have been prudent and diligent at saving -- my late Daddy was born in 1921 and beat the Depression into me. So I know I can survive. I don't put on airs and I know how to cook a mean pot of pinto beans.

Cue Gloria Gaynor...

Old 03-02-2009, 06:53 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Each of us needs to make responsible decisions. If you can afford to go out to dinner, do it. If you cannot, wait. Finish high school. Go to college or a trade school. Find a job that you enjoy and maybe one that won't be outsourced (one of my pet peeves). Live within your means but have goals.

We all know misers and martyrs - they're not very pleasant to be around, are they? We know people on the other end of the spectrum - party, party, party. There is a balance needed.

I think that's what America needs - a balance.

Also, America:
**Stop outsourcing - bring our jobs back
**Illegal (catch that word) immigration - stop it
**Give companies incentives for positive programs like wellness, etc.
**and that's just a start
While it is true we all need to make responsible decisons ourselves, we also should consider how our decisions effect those around us. For example, if you decide to quit eating out at McDonalds or Wendy's, it probably will not end your local outlet. On the other had, if you and the wife eat out once a week at a restaurant which is owned by the person at the cash register, he may not be in business next year. You have to think of that business owner, his family and employees too.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,318,483 times
Smile I did not mean to stop living

Kev K -
So true - that's why my husband and I are still going out to eat, etc.

If it makes anyone feel better, there is always a wait at our local restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, Grand Luxe, Maggianos, Brewzzis, and I can't forget Houstons - usually 1 1/2 hour wait).

Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 PM

17,749 posts, read 15,023,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I have been prudent and diligent at saving -- my late Daddy was born in 1921 and beat the Depression into me. So I know I can survive. I don't put on airs and I know how to cook a mean pot of pinto beans.

Cue Gloria Gaynor...
Yeah them pinto beans will be going in a cast iron pot with silver maple dead wood , a gift from god, that falls from the sky.

Why stop there? Also why not grow your own shell beans? Low nitrogen needs and high protein how can you go wrong?

jacobs cattle

Vermont cranberry

And my personal favorite black turtle.

Forgot to mention. I am growing all the above this year.

For you people in the southwest get on those cow peas. They produce a net gain in nitrogen, are drought tolerant and can grow in 85% sand to organic material. 25% protein and nitrogen fixation says "eat this" to the slovenly gluttonous bankers. God loved the poor so he gave them beans and the gas to drive away bad company.

Cowpeas Could Add Sustainability To Cropping Systems

Last edited by gwynedd1; 03-02-2009 at 08:13 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,293,340 times
I've already sacrificed my entire life up to this point to "the economy". Isn't that enough? LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics