Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,407,013 times

Advertisements

Well, the restuarants are doing a brisk business. We tried to eat out Saturday night and every place we went to had long long waits and one steak place we went to there was no parking at all and it was in a strip mall type setting and the entire strip mall parking lot was full! It was CRAZY!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,564,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Well, the restuarants are doing a brisk business. We tried to eat out Saturday night and every place we went to had long long waits and one steak place we went to there was no parking at all and it was in a strip mall type setting and the entire strip mall parking lot was full! It was CRAZY!!
This is very true. I seen the same thing in the Houston area. Restaurants are packed with a wait to get in. It just goes to show you that we humans have not let it sink in that we will have to rethink how we live and spend. The days of wasting $5 on a coffee or shopping Dillards are going away. Some just have not caught on yet.

You see those who are still employed feel invincable. They will never admit that they are just a number and quite expendable. But they know it and their day is coming too. Texas is not in to bad a shape like the rest of the country but I see it falling fast.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,278,086 times
I don't buy WM 'stuff'.

I'll shop at Target occaisionally for kid stuff or house stuff. When it comes to nice things, I'll head to smaller, local boutiques.

We're very health conscious, we only buy organic, non processed food. If I don't grow it, I'll go for the farmer's market or Whole Foods, in that order. We don't eat out.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:49 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,914,732 times
I haven't been to a Wal-Mart for a while but I was at a mall in central NJ on Saturday and it was packed. I mean almost impossible to find a parking space that didn't need a shuttle bus to get to the mall packed. Crazy.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,211,032 times
wow, you know it'd be really nice if i could afford to shop at Nordstrom. maybe if they lowered their prices a little bit i'd be more likely to head downtown to shop. oh, they're not going to? I'm not going to feel bad for them and you'll find me at my nearest thrift store.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 AM

897 posts, read 2,819,484 times
Well I used to be an avid Walmart shopper (when I lived in the Southeast), but Meijer is the better store where I am at now so I go there. I don't see their business any busier, about the same, but I also avoid peak times.

I agree restuarants are still packed especially later in the week and on weekends. Lots of expensive drinks being ordered as well. I cringe when I think of the markup on drinks (especially alcoholic) in restuarants.

I can see a turndown in business at the mall nearest me in Columbus (Polaris). When I head over to Easton (my personal favorite ) they seem to be doing well with shoppers with bags in hand.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,173,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is what happens when the economy goes sour and people don't have the confidence to spend any money. They will buy what is cheap, not necessarily what will last.
Ironically, most of the stuff sold at the malls is made in the same countries, and in some cases, by the SAME textile factories things at Walmart are. They are just sold at retail for 6 times more, because some one is under the false impression that because they are more expensive they are better, or higher quality.

True story, my Mom worked at a canning factory at one point, and they produced 6 or 7 different labels products. They ranged from generic to high end. I bet the people paying about three times as much for the high end labels would be upset to find that they were getting the same exact thing the people buying generic were.

By the way, when I was a teenager, I used to do the "mall thing", and I had a bunch of expensive clothes. 10-12 years later, guess where I bought the clothes that have lasted that long? If you guessed Walmart, Kmart, and Target, you are correct. I would put a pair of Wrangler jeans up against any expensive brands sold in malls, and I can bet you they will last just as long or longer.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,173,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Rather then support our own during this economic depression, people have no problem supporting China to save a few dollars.

Whats the difference when Hugo Chevez who owns Citco was using oil profits to build his military to defend against the Great White Satan America. How many people continued to buy gas from Citco when everyone was aware they should be boycottng.

How about what Exxon did and continues to do to the waters off Alaska. Do you know anyone who drives by an Exxon to hit the next gas station up the road?

No one sticks together. It's a me me me me society today.

Since Exxon and Citgo are usually the most expensive stations, outside of rediculous Shell, I frequently drive past these all of the time.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 AM

22,196 posts, read 29,229,212 times
Walmart is always packed. I purchase my food, essentials there but not clothes. I still go to the mall for that. That for me will never change.

Yes, restaurants are still busy. I am a server and always do very well on weekends.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,407,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yes, restaurants are still busy. I am a server and always do very well on weekends.
You are lucky. Many restaurants are struggling. It is the one thing people can easily cut from their budgets. They can more easily make meals at home. But the one entertainment that is picking up is movies. More people are going out to the movies! (You can buy your munchies at Walmart...!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics