Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,409,334 times

Advertisements

I was just out and about. Stopped at the mall to look for jobs --- and try on shoes. Nordstrom was empty. Shoe guy said to me, "It's been like this all week. We had a little bit of traffic on Saturday, but that was it." Neiman Marcus was a wasteland with lots of sales people standing around idle with nothing to do. Burberry and other high-end stores were the same. On the way home, stopped at Walmart to stock up on candy. Place was packed. I had to wait in line to pay!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM

72,845 posts, read 62,260,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I was just out and about. Stopped at the mall to look for jobs --- and try on shoes. Nordstrom was empty. Shoe guy said to me, "It's been like this all week. We had a little bit of traffic on Saturday, but that was it." Neiman Marcus was a wasteland with lots of sales people standing around idle with nothing to do. Burberry and other high-end stores were the same. On the way home, stopped at Walmart to stock up on candy. Place was packed. I had to wait in line to pay!!!!
This is what happens when the economy goes sour and people don't have the confidence to spend any money. They will buy what is cheap, not necessarily what will last.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
When you see Walmart empty and the Dollar Store full..then it's time to head for the hills.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 PM

732 posts, read 4,151,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is what happens when the economy goes sour and people don't have the confidence to spend any money. They will buy what is cheap, not necessarily what will last.
What do you mean? I was in Macys and they had clothes over $130 and they were made in Egypt, Vietnam, China. How is this any different then the $12 shirt made in China that wal-mart sells?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,956,169 times
Our WalMart stock has soared. This is good for us.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,949,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
What do you mean? I was in Macys and they had clothes over $130 and they were made in Egypt, Vietnam, China. How is this any different then the $12 shirt made in China that wal-mart sells?
i cannot understand how they make the clothes in those slave wage countries and still manage to charge us top dollar for those rags. they deserve to have no cutomers.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,935,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Of course people buy what is cheap ... candy at Walmart ... identical candy sold at other stores ... name brands ... and Walmart is cheaper ... in most cases the candy is fresh at Walmart vs the candy sitting on the shelves at other stores because of their high pricing ... the candy at Walmart doesn't have a long shelf-life ... yes you may have to wait in line but you saved some money.

Frivolous spending is what is killing us right now ... the government is handing out enough in bailouts and pork that we the taxpayers, our children and their children will be responsible for and it doesn't seem to make Wall Street very happy either. The people can be frugal or cheap with their money as the gov't is spending enough for all of us.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,564,221 times
Rather then support our own during this economic depression, people have no problem supporting China to save a few dollars.

Whats the difference when Hugo Chevez who owns Citco was using oil profits to build his military to defend against the Great White Satan America. How many people continued to buy gas from Citco when everyone was aware they should be boycottng.

How about what Exxon did and continues to do to the waters off Alaska. Do you know anyone who drives by an Exxon to hit the next gas station up the road?

No one sticks together. It's a me me me me society today.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times
Thrift stores as also doing a brisk business, and are hiring extra employees and extending their hours. People are buying for the best price they can. I'm sure the 99 cents store is already packed.

A long time ago I went to malls to look at the clothes. If it was on huge discount I might buy it but could find the same thing elsewhere for a lot less. The mall was a nice experience, people watching and window shopping and enjoying the philly cheese at the food court. But the prices were way way out of line for what they were selling.

Malls have long been a social place where people come to enjoy the space but often haven't been there to buy. Its too bad with the empty spaces even that is not there.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,307,413 times
Really and honestly, I have not been able to afford to shop anywhere but walmart and target in the last 10 years. Occasionally sears. My income just has not kept pace with the prices. THAT is why the department stores are slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics