Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 PM

513 posts, read 646,611 times

Advertisements

I don't have any money in stocks or real estate investments, just loaded up in banks. Anyways, where's a safe place to put your money right now?

Can you take your money out of US banks and put them in safe banks in say Europe or Canada? (I recognize this may be a stupid question but I don't know.)

I keep hearing so much gloom and doom about money being worth nothing or banks going under so I want to make the right moves. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM

897 posts, read 2,823,819 times
Wow, money just loaded up in banks? Why not leave it HERE in an US bank that is FDIC insured? Do some research and make sure it is the right places in the right amounts. Foreign banks are in trouble too, this is a globalcrisis.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,179 times
Treasury only MMFs and short term T-bills (no more than 3 months).
Some yuan or yen might be ok too.
I wouldn't put it in England, they are worse than us.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,405 times
First bank of mattress. No interest, but your deposit is ALWAYS available.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:26 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,293,803 times
Consider investing in yourself, spiritually first of all, then in a business and/or tangible assets (if you have storage space) like flour, rice, canned foods, wine, oil, water, and salt.

Having said that, Canadian banks seem to be on sounder footing than US, UK and European banks. You would have to go to Canada and show identifying documents in order to open an account. Then you would have the complication of managing exchange rates and transfer fees if you want to actually use the money for purchases in the US or elsewhere outside of Canada.

Obviously you should call or email a Canadian bank first, they should be able to provide you with the rules, unless of course you live near the border and it is worth a trip.

Good luck!

Last edited by bale002; 03-05-2009 at 02:49 AM..

Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,873,311 times
Yes it is a stupid question - unless you are a proponent of the extreme "U.S. is going to collapse" theory. And in that case then cash (in your matress or a foreign banks or otherwise) won't matter anyways. Besides the financial crises is worldwide, you can't escape it.

Keep it in an FDIC insured U.S. bank. If you have alot of money then invest in CD's or T bills just to get a little better interest. Keep your money in cash (in banks) or safe short term investments and wait it out for the recovery.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 AM

513 posts, read 646,611 times
One of the reasons why I asked was that an article in the Houston Chronicle said that the FDIC was approaching insolvency. And I'm worried about the value of my money being wiped out. Your thoughts?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,631,896 times
Seetruth,
Make sure you at least take some money out because if the FDIC becomes insolvent the government will have to pay your money back and they can wait a full year to do so and believe me, they will! Also, they can change the FDIC rules with the stroke of a pen. They can abolish it if they want. Don't think you are protected by the FDIC. People are losing jobs, people are walking away from their houses, people losing their retirements. Money is running out! It's for real.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes it is a stupid question - unless you are a proponent of the extreme "U.S. is going to collapse" theory. And in that case then cash (in your matress or a foreign banks or otherwise) won't matter anyways. Besides the financial crises is worldwide, you can't escape it.

Keep it in an FDIC insured U.S. bank. If you have alot of money then invest in CD's or T bills just to get a little better interest. Keep your money in cash (in banks) or safe short term investments and wait it out for the recovery.
I would have given some rep. for this comment, but I need to spread it around first, so I'll just say that I agree!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
....then in a business and/or tangible assets (if you have storage space) like flour, rice, canned foods, wine, oil, water, and salt.
Are you serious? Are you recommending that people start grocery stores???

The OP was looking for safe investments...there is no return on investment on foodstuffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics