U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 AM

529 posts, read 1,141,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi scuba steve,

The problem is of reputation. If I ran a country in central or south America I would be wary of the multinational companies as well. They do not have a good history of treating the locals as anything but slave labor. United Fruit company is a classical example of this and they even used political assassination to achieve its ends. Its not always easy to see the difference between trade and exploitation. Its often just a price. Any thing under minimum wage is legally considered exploitation and anything above it is considered legitimate trade.

As far as Cargill, I don't blame them. Cargill has been juicing us for years with corn subsidies. I wish Chavez would come over here yank their subsidy.
True, when I was living in South America it was appalling for me how the international companies would get away with anything, they would dump toxic waste in the rivers and lakes for years, they would cheat on the taxes, they would bribe their way out of competition, they would sell medication that is prohibited in developed countries or even expired. Most of these wouldn't dare to do that here (although some have the audacity to do it anyway) but it's like they would try to do anything over there.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or