Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,569,016 times

Advertisements

I just heard a rumor that our retirement plan has frozen and may not recover until 5 years. I also heard that those employees who were affected were spoken to by appropriate administrators. I was not spoken to so I don't know if i am affected

i went online and called the company's autromated line that manages my company's retirement plan. According to the info the balance is still there. However under the "rate of return %" column it is noted to be "0%" since june of last year. There is no customer service line, you just have to leave a message for the operator

Rumor had it was that our employer stopped contributing but from what i know they stopped contributing about 5 years ago and instead gave us a choice of putting our retirement balance in aggressive mutual funds or letting it default to a non aggressive account which is what i did. Mine is in something called a stable value account.

I'm told employees used to borrow against this plan but that they no longer can do so

I'm not sure what's going on. I am going to speak to someone at this company but in the meantime can you shed some light into this, anyone who knows how this works?

This was originally coined a "profit sharing plan? where you started investing 10% of your salary and became vested in the plan once you had 1000 hours of employment at the company. I started in 9/1990 so i became 20% vested in 1/1992, 40% in 1993, 60% in 1994, 80% in 1995 and 100% vested in 1996. The employer supposedly contributed 100% (unlike our 403 b where the employee contributes) to this plan

Around late '03 or '04 our employer told us they were going to leave it up to us employees to make our balances grow and gave us the option of putting our $$ into more aggressive funds or let it default to a non aggressive fund(as noted above)

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM

960 posts, read 1,156,926 times
You did good by choosing the "stable value account". The "aggressive" funds are for suckers. I don't know what it means that your account's frozen; hopefully it's not fraud.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Default if it was fraud

who would have done it? our boss is the trustee of the plan which means if you want to borrow against it he signs the paperwork and the payback plan

i left a message asking the company that manages our plan to get back to me.

my balances show up on the website and automated phone service. i don't tknow if it means the money is there or not. there are no other notations on the account

Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 PM

960 posts, read 1,156,926 times
Not good to have the boss be the trustee of the plan! I hope this turns out okay. The SIPC may protect your account against fraud, up to $500K.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,393,487 times
I hope it's not that an investigation of some kind is going on which is why the accounts are frozen. That's just weird. And some employees are impacted and others aren't? Mmmmm. Are the ones impacted the one who went into the aggressive fund?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 PM

Default I've just started

reading an article about freezings. It looks like when there is a freeze or the employer stops contributing(also part of the rumor) you still get what you have earned(say in a lump sum) but the long term benefit is reduced in some way. It seems to affect middle aged workers in their 40's and 50's more. I just read this a few minutes ago and plan on finishing this tomorrow AM

i heard they spoke with those affected but i was never called. i still don't know much yet

Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,826,228 times
If your boss stopped contributing five years ago, he is on his way to jail. Several of the things you mention he did are illegal.
I'm guessng you are reacting on unfounded rumors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics