Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,137 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking this may be the beginning of the extended "sucker rally". The one that will finally break the die hards, and strip them of their "faith" in the economy's rebound, and what remains of their wealth at the same time. This isnt gonna be over til the annointed few have all the marbles.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Remembering the 70's recession if inflation starts up because of government borrowing then that will hit hard.That's one thing about this one different from the 70's.I can even imagine what it will take to repay borrowing that much in redcuitons of government spending or taking money out of the economy .

Old 03-14-2009, 07:50 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I'm thinking this may be the beginning of the extended "sucker rally". The one that will finally break the die hards, and strip them of their "faith" in the economy's rebound, and what remains of their wealth at the same time. This isnt gonna be over til the annointed few have all the marbles.......
Maybe you're right, but what do you base that view on, other than a belief that the world is ending? You seem to be saying that the economy won't recover. Is that your view? Are we going to be living in the era of "Mad Max" from now on? When do YOU see the recovery in the US?

Old 03-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
No, I wouldn't say it has anything to do with enthusiasm. It has to do with looking at the signs and also with the fact that NOBODY KNOWS....not you and not me.

You and others choose to see the glass half empty and I choose to see it half full. As I stated, this is probably not a sustained rally, and we may see bottom again, but almost certainly not the ridiculous predictions of the Dow @ 4000 or even 5000. People choose to discount and ignore signs of life today, and instead believe prognosticators and potential problems that haven't yet occurred. When you look at the monetary policy in effect, fiscal stimulus such as it is, statements from Bernanke, and other signs of life that have been seen lately, it is perfectly reasonable to go with a middle ground that says that we could be in a recovery by end of this year.

We'll know in a year from now, but please don't pretend that you have a lock on truth and knowledge any more than I do or the masses do. Things are bad, but they appear to NOT be getting worse, and the leading indicators are improving. I'm not a financial expert, but I choose to listen and read, and take a middle ground view. I don't sit in my mother's basement playing XBOX and fretting that the world is coming to an end.

Ya know, if you read what I said in the first line of the post below...and then look at what you just said about me & how I think...you would find what you said to be really, incredibly ironic.

No one knows what's going to happen. That's absolute. I didn't think gas prices would come back down. See? We all make mistakes, chum. I was betting on inflation. You can't just dump a mass of money and eveything cost the same.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...08-2009-a.html

[SIZE=5]70Ford[/SIZE]
Oh, yeah!

[SIZE=2]Status:[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]"Free falling and the chute won't open....." [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Edit[/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE](set 3 days ago)[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
1,672 posts, read 815,554 times

How to survive; 2008 - 2009
Wow. This person has an interesting take on things.

Oil....34 bucks a barrel? ...I think he's high....
http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...08-2009-a.html

Incidently, I'm in Iraq right now. I hope the basement comment wasn't directed at me.

Last edited by 70Ford; 03-14-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 04:20 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maybe you're right, but what do you base that view on, other than a belief that the world is ending? You seem to be saying that the economy won't recover. Is that your view? Are we going to be living in the era of "Mad Max" from now on? When do YOU see the recovery in the US?

There will not be a recovery to the same status that we once "enjoyed". We "enjoyed" it, now it's time to pay the piper. The world wont "end", the middle class(the stepping stone, to being something more than...) will. There will be "haves" and "have nots". There will be those trickling down, and those being trickled upon. If youre a good serf, maybe you'll be trickled upon more favorably than others.

This has been spoken of openly in the MSM, even on this morning's talk programs...."there will be a reduced standard of living"..is the new mantra. What do you think that means?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:35 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Most of the forecasts I see (apart from the doom and gloom fanatics that see the end of the world coming) see a recovery starting in 2nd or 3rd qtr 2010.
I'm not sure how...

Suffice it to say that the banking industry isn't out of the woods, yet. We've still got some suffering to do. And frankly, we need it. Homes are still waaaay over-priced in places like California and Florida. Until the market fully corrects itself, things will remains stagnant.

Granted, some of the above loans can be recast into fixed rate mortages, but let's be honest: most of these people bought more house than they could afford. 80% took the minimum payment option. In other words, aside from just having the tax payer buy the whole house and give it to the irresponsible buyer, there's just not much wiggle room.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
The only way we can enjoy a good economy will be to reverse the growth of Government. The Government pushed the economic bubble, and are completely at fault for every bit of inflation we have had. We were more prosperous the closer to a free country we were. With technology we increased our standard of living but Government tried its best to destroy it. Now they have succeeded. Remember the Soviet Union? That proved how disastrous big government can be.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
This has been spoken of openly in the MSM, even on this morning's talk programs...."there will be a reduced standard of living"..is the new mantra. What do you think that means?
I'm sure folks think it doesn't mean "them" but someone else.
I agree with you..there will be the rich and the rest of us. A two class system.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree with you..there will be the rich and the rest of us. A two class system.
Well I might agree that we'll have the half that works and pays income taxes, and the half that receives assistance and/or pays no income taxes. Are those the two halves to whom you're referring?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Remembering the 70's recession if inflation starts up because of government borrowing then that will hit hard.That's one thing about this one different from the 70's.I can even imagine what it will take to repay borrowing that much in redcuitons of government spending or taking money out of the economy .
Hi texdav,

Its not necessary to imagine repaying the debt. They never meant to do anything but increase the national debt. In the current system there is a legitimate reason for doing so since its the monetary base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics