U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 PM

95 posts, read 542,119 times

Advertisements

And I'm guessing a course in investments wouldn't help either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 04:28 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,369,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallandbuff View Post
From my experience, test prep books and classes can't possibly teach the average person enough information to past this exam. It seems that someone would need a bachelors in finance to be able to pass the series 7. Which is why I'm asking what college courses in finance would be most helpful in passing the exam.
I tend to disagree (assuming it hasn't changed too much since the late 80's early 90's).

I took a cram course, studied it for a month... holed up in a hotel room for 3 days before the test and did nothing but eat, sleep and write the study materials by hand...

Passed first time.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:02 AM

95 posts, read 542,119 times
So which courses, or study material do you all recommend to pass this exam.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:36 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,150,762 times
Quote:
From my experience, test prep books and classes can't possibly teach the average person enough information to past this exam. It seems that someone would need a bachelors in finance to be able to pass the series 7. Which is why I'm asking what college courses in finance would be most helpful in passing the exam.
Disagree completely. The test was a bit easier for me with a Finance degree, but I took it with several people who had no such background and we all passed. Granted, I made a 92 and didn't spend a huge amount of time studying while some of my classmates eked out mid 70s with more time spent. But the 7 is really not a difficult exam. Our schedule was five weeks of studying (we were also working 8 hours/day 5 days/week during that) and a five day review class and that felt ample.

In my experience, the test prep books for the 7 specifically did a great job of covering exactly what was on the actual test. The Series 63, not so much!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 AM

834 posts, read 1,512,865 times
I took this exam, because my employer requires us to do so as this is an investment bank, and we work on a trading floor doing IT support for traders. This is no easy exam. I took a prep class at night, and did many practice exams. It's a 6 hour exam, and I passed with a pretty low score. No, I don't trade, but this exam has made me a better person with respect to understanding what traders are doing.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:17 AM

98 posts, read 424,531 times
Studying finance and investment classes in college will give you a great education on the theory of finance and investing, and the background knowledge will certainly be useful, but the Series 7 has almost no relationship to what you will learn, or, sadly, for what you will do with your license after passing the exam, although FINRA is currently in the process of revamping the exam outline to address that issue.

PM me if you'd like some more info. I have been involved with training reps to take the Series 7 for quite some time.

Paul

Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 AM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,804,802 times
Wait 'tll ya get to the series 9 & 10.

My wife is studying for that now, and she is NOT in a good mood....

Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 PM

98 posts, read 424,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Wait 'tll ya get to the series 9 & 10.

My wife is studying for that now, and she is NOT in a good mood....
Give her my condolences. The 9/10 is not much fun at all.

Most candidates worry more about the S9, which is the options portion, but the pass rate is actually lower on the S10. The municipal bonds portion especially is a bear.

Paul

Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 AM

5,165 posts, read 5,308,272 times
Quote:
You have to get the series 7 Books and practice tests.
Then your firm has to open a window and sponsor you to take the exam. Good luck with that!
Then:
If you take the practice tests and get over 85 consistantly on all the tests you should pass easily.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM

12,977 posts, read 29,565,513 times
Quote:
I know this is an old thread, but since I work in the industry I wanted to reply to this.

There are several different companies that make study material for the series 7. People will tend to recommend what THEY used to pass the test so it just really depends on what your employer provides.

Me personally, I recommend STC materials. Yes, this is what I used for study and thought it was great. I know a couple of people who used Dearborn and failed, but then used another reps STC to study for their second attempt and passed.

Again, it totally depends on you and your study habits. Most employers will give you a two month window to study and usually they will provide you with study material (but you'd have to pay up front for the material and be reimbursed after passing the test). This is plenty of time to prepare yourself. Read the material take the practice exams over and over and over. Then re read the areas where you struggle, then take the practice exams over and over again.

When you get to the point where you are consistently scoring in the high 80s on the practice exams, then you are ready to test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics