Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:51 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Enough of the puff: tax may cut smoking rates | U.S. | Reuters

Expansion of a popular public health insurance program for lower income children is being financed by an increase in the federal excise tax on a pack of cigarettes of about $1.01 per pack, up from the current 39 cents on a $4.35 pack.

I'm on my last carton. I'm done. Hooray! Count me in as one of the 1 million who will quit.
Congratulations!

I'm also between quitting smoking and eating.

I'm so thankful for all the weight I plan to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 06:41 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Congratulations!

I'm also between quitting smoking and eating.
If you think total food sales are down today watch them go down more when this tax goes into effect. Hardcore smokers will not make the choice and since they will spend more on cigarettes something will have to take a cut. Eating less sounds good to me.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:29 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Enough of the puff: tax may cut smoking rates | U.S. | Reuters

Expansion of a popular public health insurance program for lower income children is being financed by an increase in the federal excise tax on a pack of cigarettes of about $1.01 per pack, up from the current 39 cents on a $4.35 pack.

I'm on my last carton. I'm done. Hooray! Count me in as one of the 1 million who will quit.

don't you love social engineering?! what next? higher federal tax on fast food (obesity)? higher federal tax on meat(heart disease)? higher federal tax on sugar(diabetes)? higher federal tax on adventure sports(broken bones)? higher federal tax on chocolate (before you laugh, the idea has been presented to english parliament)? higher federal tax on booze(cirrhosis)? what about a higher federal tax on working long hours(stress induced heart failure)? perhaps a higher federal tax on the promiscuous(std's)? maybe they should set federal limits on how long we can sun bathe (skin cancer)?

just think of all the children we could save

Last edited by 58robbo; 03-22-2009 at 03:46 AM..

Old 03-22-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I'd rather see a 300% tax on cigarettes and Black & Milds. $13 for a single pack of smokes will quickly get people to quit by pricing them out. If the stats don't go down, add another 100% to the tax, and keep increasing it until people stop smoking. Either the budget will get a lot of money at people's expense, or a lot of people will stop smoking. Win Win.

then use some of that money to add more tyrranical agents to the irs to stop bootlegging! provide the overbearing state with more orwellian search, seizure, asset forfeiture, surveillance powers to stop people from growing their own! why stop there, get everyone to come in for mandatory bloodtesting and use the results to tax their consumption.

it is after all, for the ****ing children!!!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Those previous smokers will then turn to other diversions: gambling, drinking, bars, clubs, etc. The point is to stop polluting the atmosphere. The revenue is just an added perk.

what a lovely idea. perhaps it would be cheaper and easier to just build your own prison around yourself to make sure!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
You're overreaching. I know some of you are perfectly fine puffing your cancer sticks, and in truth I wouldn't even really care about it IF it didn't affect others. If there were laws against smoking in ANY public place, and if there were laws mandating that smoking in the car requires all windows to be rolled completely up, no ash flicking out the window, no arm out the window, nothing...if there were overly Draconian measures such as specialized vents that literally suck every bit of smell and chemical off of you when you're coming back in a workplace after having smoked, then I wouldn't care.

None of what I mentioned will happen. A ban also won't fly. Pricing people out of it is the best answer. You like smoking, go ahead. I have my opinion and it won't change.

DWI has a financial application. Accidents/carnage? You're overreaching again.

overreaching!?!?!?!? i think you and your suggestions are overreaching!!

for heavens sake people!!!! don't you see that we're starting to encircle ourselves with these stupid laws and taxes. if everyone out there had their way it would be illegal to do just about everything! wtf happened to the 'land of the free'?????!!!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I find it funny that people are perfectly fine with a drug that not only kills the user, but any people near the user, near clothes the user wore, near curtains the user stood near, etc. You're fine with that? Seriously?

errrr, yes! perfectly fine with it. if they want to kill themselves it's fine with me. there is absolutely no evidence that being near the textiles of a smoker will shorten your life, but if i felt as strongly about it as you do i wouldn't hang around smokers! oh wait, there are other people out there who'd like to outlaw freedom of association. there might also be others out there who'd want to outlaw discrimination against smokers!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
I smell that awful sperm smell they give off.
sperm smell? how do you know what sperm smells like?

just kidding. bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 03-22-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I agree...let's see who the great state of California will tax next since poster is from there. Once you tax a group to the max, the purported revenue is gone and they'll find another group to tax. Revelated, hope you're not obese, 'cause you may be next!
nope, as the name suggests we're dealing with a deity!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
get everyone to come in for mandatory bloodtesting and use the results to tax their consumption.

it is after all, for the ****ing children!!!!!

Don't give them any more bright ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics