Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:55 PM

113 posts, read 682,258 times

Advertisements

We had cancelled an EFT was scheduled to come out of a Citizens Bank corporate account on Feb 11, 2009. However the EFT was initiated by paypal and it technically could not be cancelled ( governed by the FTC, not FDIC or OCC) Citizens was notified on Feb 10th and a request was made for a stop payment. However, they branch supervisor stated that you cannot put a stop payment on an EFT. They did say however they would reject it and there would be a typical overdraft fee, but no more than one.

Well there were 3 fees, & they did reject it, but that isnt the start of the story. The payment made a second attempt on the 19th of Feb, unknown to us or Citizens. Because we had many small transactions happening on that day in this account, it assessed 13 overdraft fees in the end to a total of $ 507 in fees. The bank would only refund $ 273 worth, or 7 of them... because that is all they were authorized to do.

Here is the kicker... it took them 4 weeks and 2 days to do this. Aparently branch managers at Citizens cannot refund overdraft fees anymore. It has to go to a regional manager. The best part is it went to a regional manager we waited 2 weeks for that response. Then I found out they can only refund 1 fee per account!

I called the 800 for business banking. They told me that a stop payment can be placed against an EFT. It may not of stopped the first one, but it would of stopped the second one on the 19th. They said the supervisor was in error, apologized, but could not do anything.

Now the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency ( OCC ) that regulates the federal laws for RBS Citizens says I should take them to court. I found a law in the Uniform Commerical Code (UCC) that may help.

Section 382-A:4-403 Customer's Right to Stop Payment; Burden of Proof of Loss.

Does anyone know if this applies?

In the end they told me I could not place a stop payment on something I could of. I received over $ 500 in fees and got about 1/2 refunded. The branch manager has told me over and over that the supervisor who helped me is being punished for their actions ( which I found odd that I would be told this ). What the hell is going on here???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 05:12 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,791 times
is this the citizens bank in wi? we switched banks after a lot of problems with them

Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM

113 posts, read 682,258 times
Nh

Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 AM

37 posts, read 178,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
is this the citizens bank in wi? we switched banks after a lot of problems with them
Same here in northern michigan. Worst bank I have ever delt with!!! Almost every one I know that has done business with them has stories like this or worse!!

trapper1

Old 10-25-2009, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,584 times
I have also had problems with Citizens Bank. On October 2, 2009 I received my Social Security Direct Deposit. Also on that date there was a check from 7 months ago that was cashed by the bank. This check was to an old landlord that I used to have, and way back he told me that he never received this check, so I stopped payment on the check and got a bank check for the money and sent that on to him. Now after 7 months he managed to cash the check. The bank never called me to tell me that a “stale Check” was being cashed, and I didn’t know that “stop payments” were only good for 6 months, so the bank paid out this “old check”. Now because this happened and I didn’t know about it, it overdrew my account and I bounced a bunch of other checks. It was only after calling customer service that I found out that “stop payments” were only good for six months and that the bank shouldn’t have cashed this “stale check”, but I was told that it was up to the bans descretion.
Now the fees that came in due to this amounted to more than $900. I was frantic. I got hit with fees on top of fees. My wife’s direct deposit ended up going into our account before we could stop it, and it paid all of their fees off and left us very little money for food to feed our family of 5.
Also during this time I was running out of Insulin (I am a type 1 diabetic) and I also have Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. Well I needed Insulin for my pump and the bank refused to free up any of the charges that they had on our account. I ended up have an MS flair twice and ended up in the ER. I also received 2 perscriptions that needed to be filled in order to get over this flair.
I called the bank and a very nice customer service representative named Madona helped me out and freed up $78. so that I could get the prescriptions filled, and then when I went to the bank I was told that I could not take the money out because citizens had put a hold on my account and the one person who could take the hold off was not in that day. I was then escourted out of the bank and was told that Corporate Security was going to be I would not get back any of the fees that I have paid if she had anything to do with it.
I then contacted customer service and lodged a complaint with them. Nest thing I know the claims department is sending me another affidavit in the mail, and this time they want me to try to locate my old landlord so that he can sign it saying that he did infact take money from our account. Can you believe that? I’m sure he’ll sign that?? right?
I was told by Citizens Bank that I can not close my account at this point because it is now back to being negative again, and when I tried to open another account with a different bank I was notified that because of citizens bank I would have to wait for that account to be settled before I can open another account anywhere else. So now my wife is stopping her direct deposit and I have to call Social Security in order for them to stop their direct deposit.
I’m thinking about not having a bank account at all, I’m thinking about getting a safe, and then just getting money orders for all of my bills.

Thank you CITIZEN’S BANK for encourgaing me to not trust banks!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlord3567 View Post
I have also had problems with Citizens Bank. On October 2, 2009 I received my Social Security Direct Deposit. Also on that date there was a check from 7 months ago that was cashed by the bank. This check was to an old landlord that I used to have, and way back he told me that he never received this check, so I stopped payment on the check and got a bank check for the money and sent that on to him. Now after 7 months he managed to cash the check. The bank never called me to tell me that a “stale Check” was being cashed, and I didn’t know that “stop payments” were only good for 6 months, so the bank paid out this “old check”. Now because this happened and I didn’t know about it, it overdrew my account and I bounced a bunch of other checks. It was only after calling customer service that I found out that “stop payments” were only good for six months and that the bank shouldn’t have cashed this “stale check”, but I was told that it was up to the bans descretion.
Now the fees that came in due to this amounted to more than $900. I was frantic. I got hit with fees on top of fees. My wife’s direct deposit ended up going into our account before we could stop it, and it paid all of their fees off and left us very little money for food to feed our family of 5.
Also during this time I was running out of Insulin (I am a type 1 diabetic) and I also have Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. Well I needed Insulin for my pump and the bank refused to free up any of the charges that they had on our account. I ended up have an MS flair twice and ended up in the ER. I also received 2 perscriptions that needed to be filled in order to get over this flair.
I called the bank and a very nice customer service representative named Madona helped me out and freed up $78. so that I could get the prescriptions filled, and then when I went to the bank I was told that I could not take the money out because citizens had put a hold on my account and the one person who could take the hold off was not in that day. I was then escourted out of the bank and was told that Corporate Security was going to be I would not get back any of the fees that I have paid if she had anything to do with it.
I then contacted customer service and lodged a complaint with them. Nest thing I know the claims department is sending me another affidavit in the mail, and this time they want me to try to locate my old landlord so that he can sign it saying that he did infact take money from our account. Can you believe that? I’m sure he’ll sign that?? right?
I was told by Citizens Bank that I can not close my account at this point because it is now back to being negative again, and when I tried to open another account with a different bank I was notified that because of citizens bank I would have to wait for that account to be settled before I can open another account anywhere else. So now my wife is stopping her direct deposit and I have to call Social Security in order for them to stop their direct deposit.
I’m thinking about not having a bank account at all, I’m thinking about getting a safe, and then just getting money orders for all of my bills.

Thank you CITIZEN’S BANK for encourgaing me to not trust banks!
You need to go after the bank and the old landlord... See if an attorney will and can help you...

Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,411 times
Citizens bank is the worst bank ever! They are liars! They made up so many stories to me. It took them a week for me to talk to a supervisor. Now I have over 600.00 in overdraft fees because they choose to opp me in to allow 39.00 in every charge I wen't over. A debit card should be like cash don't let me use it if the funds arent there. If I wanted a credit card I would get one! I hate you citizens bank! My boyfriend had this happen to him with TD bank and it was taken care of that day. Now it has been two weeks of fighting. What a great company! (yeah right)

Old 10-19-2010, 04:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
That's your own fault... I checked into Citizens bank over a year ago and it screamed BAD... I walked but I figured it would "catch" somebody... I didn't even think they were a legit bank at the time..

Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallynkaufman View Post
Citizens bank is the worst bank ever! They are liars! They made up so many stories to me. It took them a week for me to talk to a supervisor. Now I have over 600.00 in overdraft fees because they choose to opp me in to allow 39.00 in every charge I wen't over. A debit card should be like cash don't let me use it if the funds arent there. If I wanted a credit card I would get one! I hate you citizens bank! My boyfriend had this happen to him with TD bank and it was taken care of that day. Now it has been two weeks of fighting. What a great company! (yeah right)
If the funds aren't there, why are you attempting to use the card?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,581 times
It seems that Citizens has really gone down hill fast. We had been with them for 20+ years, and then someone gave me a check for items i sold, and asked if i put it in savings, to make sure it was good. I had even called the bank it was drawn from.LOng story short , it was bad.. the account had been closed. I had to close that account, but we liked them.
finally after a year we were ableto open another account...
I am finding, the way they do things,especially for overdrafts... there new policy now is, you can check your accountand everything will be cleared,however, should you forget a payment you made, and it is a large payment, they will let that one clear, but then have your previous checks or debits that had clear, bounce, and then you can get hit with 2,3 or 4 overdraft charges at 37 each... Is this legal? I am in Ct and the main branch is in RI
They saythey do that, in case it is a mortgage payment, car, etc... but if they let the one bounce, you are only getting charged one fee, not 3... they usually pay them anyway...
Any suggestions or who to contact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics