Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,325 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am sure you've heard this "story" many times. But we don't know what to do. My husband graduated from college this past December. He is a Mechanical Engineer now, with 3.2 GPA. He has an internship and some other work experience. We tried to find a job locally because we thought that I have to stay in the area because of my college, here in Las Cruces, NM, but this place is small and it is very hard to find a job. We didn't have any luck. I found out that I can take the remaining classes that I have to take online, so we are mobile. Well, we went to the career fair, he got many interviews from surrounding states, but nobody is calling back!!!They all tell us they like them, and then they don't call back. We tried career builder, monster, usa jobs etc., and we just can't seem to find a job!!!It is so frustrating...Why do they tell us they like him and then they don't call back? If you know of any other good job sites, please tell us...Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
I think he should contact them if they don't call him.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I think he should contact them if they don't call him.
We contacted some people that gave us their hiring information. Some of them responded, and said that they didn't hear back from the senior hiring manager, some of them said that he didn't get the job ( 4 out of 10 recruiters so far ), and some of them didn't respond...He applied for at least 50-70 jobs...and NOTHING so far...

What pisses us the most is that we heard that some of the local companies are just looking for resumes. And one HR told us that. She said that they will "open" a job, collect resumes for the future needs, and then "cancel" the position...It happened to us three times...

Old 04-08-2009, 09:02 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
They just say they like him to be nice, that is all. If they really like him they would have offered him the job. Move on and keep looking, not much else you can do. When someone wants to hire you they go after you. You don't have to chase them down to find out why they called etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM

931 posts, read 3,803,449 times
Common courtesy.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
It's not unusual for a company to take months to decide on a candidate. Finding a job is the biggest thing in your life, filling a position isn't high on their list.
I interviewed for a job in mid November, got called mid January, and started in February.
Companies aren't in as big a hurry as you are. Sometimes they wait for a reason. The last company I worked for wouldn't fill a position until they paid off the last person. In other words, if someone retired and they paid them vacation and sick leave equal to three months pay, the job stayed open for three months..
In the mean time, keep looking, and don't wait for anyone...

Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM

Thank you for your advices. I just hope someone will call...I don't understand why they don't call...He is very bright, has many skills that they are supposedly looking for...Thank you for your advices again...It's just frustrating...

Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Back during the recession after 9/11, in 2003 it took me 6 months to find a job after graduating college and that was for a job making $15,000 a year. I also had to move 1100 miles. In fact the only reason I got it was because a buddy was hired there and he got me an interview.

In other words, it's not just you (or him). I used to live in NM, NM in general outside of Albuquerque is full of extremely small towns, I doubt you will find a job opening there in this environment. You might just need to roll the dice and move somewhere else (bigger city). Or have him take a road trip. Do any relatives live in bigger cities that he can use as his address on his resume? Typically employers don't like to hire folks that are out of state for entry level jobs.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:31 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Go to company websites directly to apply. Just work your way down the Fortune 500 list. Be open to moving - that's the best way to get that elusive first gig after graduation!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Do any relatives live in bigger cities that he can use as his address on his resume?
We have many relatives living in New Jersey. We want to move there being that he is originally from there...But we just didn't want to move before we have a job offer...I guess we might have to move and stay with the relatives until we find a job...You know how it is here in NM...you lived here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics