Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Trust me, you aren't waiting too late.
My parents didn't save a dime for my education and figured since I did so well in school, I'd have my way paid for.
It's SOMEWHAT true. My tuition and fees are paid for and I pay for my books.

I second the recommendation of community college.
Unless your child gets a full ride to a four year school, I would send them to community college first. It's a lot cheaper and they cover the same things a four year school would. A lot of times they have agreements with four year colleges and depending on the student's GPA, they can get a full tuition scholarship to a four year school.

Just make sure your child knows what they want to do when they get out of college and they are going to be on the right track when they are in college. You don't want your child just feeling their way through college and end up spending 6 years in college because they spent too much time trying to decide what they wanted to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times
My parents didn't save to put me through college, I did. I never thought twice that they should have saved anything for my education. I think it does a child well to at least pay something towards their education so that they have a greater appreciation for what it cost and the sacrafice to work in order to obtain a degree.

I own and run my own business and I truly believe that learning how to pay my own way through was key to my being able to work hard and be dedicated now.

I think it is wonderful for parents to want to help their children but I also think children need to also be part of the earning and not have the entire cost of college waiting for them in a savings account that they did not help contribute to.

Last edited by kwalk65; 04-14-2009 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics