U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 10:24 PM

91 posts, read 377,633 times

Advertisements

What is the professional courtesy for any state with major companies such as Lockheed and CSC or Boeing as well as other Aerospace companies.. for transfer?

I am trying to find out what the time frame is to be considered for common professional courtesy when transferring.. Is it a year? or Is it 3 years?

How long should you wait after starting a position to go about putting in bids for a transfer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 06:01 AM

346 posts, read 1,638,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanaddict View Post
What is the professional courtesy for any state with major companies such as Lockheed and CSC or Boeing as well as other Aerospace companies.. for transfer?

I am trying to find out what the time frame is to be considered for common professional courtesy when transferring.. Is it a year? or Is it 3 years?

How long should you wait after starting a position to go about putting in bids for a transfer?
What does a state have to do with internal transfer policies of a large company?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 AM

I am not certian that the state has anything to do with it... I just REALLY need to know what the Professional courtesy is within a large company when it comes to transfer.

I dont know how long you are ethincally and profesionaly supposed to wait.

Do you happen to know?

If it is a re-newable contract with the company at the end of every year... should you wait the year or should you at least have worked with that team or company for longer then a year... ?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:09 AM

346 posts, read 1,638,346 times
This is something you have to work out yourself. You know your company, your contract, the inner workings of department/company and WHY you want to move. there is no standard time frame. At least I have not heard of one during my time in HR.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Help With Work Ethics Asap

I was wondering if someone could tell me when the Standard Work Ethic is for a transfer after starting a position?

I currently live in Alaska and want to transfer to the states.... I only started the position however a year ago in October of this year '07.
My contract is within the company itself so I am part of it.. however it is a re-newable contract at the end of every year.

I just don't want to jeopardize my position,but at the same time my family is not happy where we are here in Alaska and the whole SAD thing for them is way out of control.. so we would like to get out of here to a state that will have more sun and better weather for them that way, right away.

What do you think?

Should I try and put in for a transfer this year?
Do you think it will effect my position with the company?
Should I wait for longer then a year before attempting to put a bid in for a transfer?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:40 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times
I'd suggest you discuss it, off the record, with either another employee or a supervisor you are comfortable speaking to about this.

I've seen several people transfer, within a given company, after discussing it with the powers to be without any penalty or loss of seniority.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanaddict View Post
I was wondering if someone could tell me when the Standard Work Ethic is for a transfer after starting a position?

I currently live in Alaska and want to transfer to the states.... I only started the position however a year ago in October of this year '07.
My contract is within the company itself so I am part of it.. however it is a re-newable contract at the end of every year.

I just don't want to jeopardize my position,but at the same time my family is not happy where we are here in Alaska and the whole SAD thing for them is way out of control.. so we would like to get out of here to a state that will have more sun and better weather for them that way, right away.

What do you think?

Should I try and put in for a transfer this year?
Do you think it will effect my position with the company?
Should I wait for longer then a year before attempting to put a bid in for a transfer?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,118 times
I think some jobs in Alaska can only be done in Alaska.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,653,691 times
I agree with ontheroad; it varies by company, so you have to kind of feel it out.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 AM

15,595 posts, read 35,282,360 times
What about working a 2 and 2 or other schedule in Alaska...while living out of state? I know many oilfeild workers doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or