Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,311 times

Advertisements

Do you think he knew more?

Police investigating death of Freddie Mac official | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/136/story/679425.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I think he was probably dealing with depression and probably felt a great burden on his shoulders for the mishandling of investments/funds w/in Freddie Mac, even if he had nothing to do w/ the decisions. He probably saw friends and relatives whose lives have been impacted by the financial downturn and felt helpless to do anything about it. On top of it, if he truly was not involved in the bad decisions, he may have felt very angry about others in the community assuming "guilt by association" and that there was no way to salvage his honor. Who knows? But I don't think it was b/c he didn't want to have to testify against others or reveal what he knew. If he was the man that others are describing - and it sounds like he was a decent person - then it all may have just been so painful that he didn't feel he would ever find a way to escape the assault on his personal integrity.

So no, I don't think there is more to come on the Freddie Mac story. The next fallout will be w/ credit card defaults.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,773 times
I am absolutely sure that we will eventually find out the story behind this. There is so much to the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac story and how it led to the housing crisis. Things will get much, much worse and lots is still out there to be uncovered. :-( Unfortunately.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 PM

129 posts, read 404,165 times
I agree with Ani, the next fallout will be the credit card defaults.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Yes, the CC defaults will be the next fallout, but, I am still sure that this poor man knew something....

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM

246 posts, read 583,616 times
The next fallout will be commercial real estate, and it will make credit cards/residential RE look like a drop in the bucket.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 PM

129 posts, read 404,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
The next fallout will be commercial real estate, and it will make credit cards/residential RE look like a drop in the bucket.

Yep I think just last week General Growth Properties which owns over 200 malls filed for bankruptcy. I don't care what anyone says but this stimulus package isnt doing any good. All it is doing is prolonging the inevitable. I also think it is part of the plan to kill the US dollar. I do think we will continue to see a rally in the stock market till sometime in June but after look out.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM

285 posts, read 800,399 times
is that why flags were half mast today in Weddington

Old 04-22-2009, 02:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Stud View Post
I don't care what anyone says but this stimulus package isnt doing any good. All it is doing is prolonging the inevitable. I also think it is part of the plan to kill the US dollar. I do think we will continue to see a rally in the stock market till sometime in June but after look out.
+1

It is still basically impossible to get commercial loans using land or buildings as collateral...

Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Stud View Post
Yep I think just last week General Growth Properties which owns over 200 malls filed for bankruptcy. I don't care what anyone says but this stimulus package isnt doing any good. All it is doing is prolonging the inevitable. I also think it is part of the plan to kill the US dollar. I do think we will continue to see a rally in the stock market till sometime in June but after look out.
Good point. I agree - commercial real estate is in a mess. Talked to a commercial broker last week. Terrible mess out there; defaults on leases, can't sell anything b/c no one can get funding. Bad.

And as for the dollar - oh yeah. I have been thinking this, too. I think our new administration wants to change things w/ our monetary fund. Euro? Something is up. Europeans are talking about it but nothing much being said here. Check out Deutsche Welle and BBC - you will hear some of it on their airwaves.

As for stimulus plan overall - fantasyland. A road contractor who is receiving some stimulus money (via a contract w/ state) was saying how it would not change a thing. Keeps his same crew employed, but they already had contracts anyway. So not like it is giving NEW JOBS to people out of work, wh/ is what I said from the beginning. Bunch of smoke and mirrors, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics