U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,122,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
How do you pay? You cut your spending else where. The idea that the majority of Americans can't reduce their spending is just silly. Only those in poverty would have trouble cutting spending. The problem is, not only do Americans not want to reduce their spending, they want to increase their lifestyle today by using debt. Gen-X was the worst offender too, they wanted their cake and eat it too.

Some jobs are in great demand and that has lowered their wages. But there are many fields that have a small labor pool. They just tend to be high skilled jobs.

But that is another problem, Gen-X and Gen-Y thought that getting a college degree was a meal ticket. They believed a bunch of nonsense about "You can do whatever you want to do in life" and majored in whatever fit their fancy. Rarely did they have a plan-B or even try to train in more than one area. Its really just a comedy of errors.
The biggest comedy of errors does not come from you who doesn't have the capacity to understand human drive and emotion. Cold as a stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 PM

12,476 posts, read 16,969,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
A meal ticket? Did you ever go to college? Please answer my question because it seems as if you have a beef with those of us who chose a college path.
Yes, I went to college.

Quote:
My plan A was a degree in business administration, but since many if not most factory jobs closed, taking with them professional positions, many of us opted to go back to college for a second time and re-education our selves. You obviously have no idea what that was like.
In other words you had no Plan-B and had to go back to school as a result. And you're right I have no idea what this is like, I have Plans A-E. My plan-A did not work out for a variety of reasons (both of my own doing, and things out of my control), I'm now on plan-B.

Quote:
Just remember college is not a meal ticket. If you want to study medicine, engineering, education and business your only option is college.
What is your point? Students need to develop a plan-B (or even plan-C) if their original plans do not work out. When doing undergrad, its pretty easy to get a second major while only spending an additional year in school. But nobody cared about having a diverse knowledge base, they cared about the meal ticket.

Quote:
The fact that you mention money as being the prime motivating force behind those who go to college make one believe money is the only thing important in your life. You seem to be a person who reduces the best qualities of human understanding down to a very small point.
The desire for a good paying job (i.e., money) is the prime motivation when the majority think about college.

Unfortunately, college does not guarantee anything. They just provide pieces of paper.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 PM

12,476 posts, read 16,969,159 times
Quote:
The biggest comedy of errors does not come from you who doesn't have the capacity to understand human drive and emotion. Cold as a stone.
Huh? Okay the biggest comedy of errors does not come from me!

Humans act stupidly when they rely on emotions, its that I don't understand why people do the things that they do, its that what they are doing is irrational and silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics