U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:52 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,130,238 times

Advertisements

If ypou can get a job with teh degree you have you made a bad choice. I really don't think that not getting a teaching job has nayhting to dop with outsourcing myself.I have two neices that are treachers and move alot with tehir husbands job and had no problem gettign a teaching job. One te4ahes english and the other math. One has moved like two times in five years the other four times and got job each tiome. maybe its what you teach or even your impression. M,aybe your in the wrong area just liike so many other job require a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,944,474 times
"Only 30% of the population has a college education." I have news - we obviously do not NEED more people with college degrees since we don't have enough jobs for the ones that do have them. And good engineering degrees too - which are taken by H1Bs who are shipped in or the entire operation is shipped overseas. Guess what - all those engineers - now working at radio shack. Whose gonna buy those news cars, those lap top computers, buy a new condo?

The corps are gonna sell them in India and they know it - so they are out to screw over the american worker. We had better get used to living low.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:42 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,126,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"Only 30% of the population has a college education." I have news - we obviously do not NEED more people with college degrees since we don't have enough jobs for the ones that do have them. And good engineering degrees too - which are taken by H1Bs who are shipped in or the entire operation is shipped overseas. Guess what - all those engineers - now working at radio shack. Whose gonna buy those news cars, those lap top computers, buy a new condo?

The corps are gonna sell them in India and they know it - so they are out to screw over the american worker. We had better get used to living low.
You are certainly right. Right now I wish I was a good plumber.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,011,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Anyhow, the push for degrees in the last decades might be partially due to a lot of the "production" jobs leaving the country. I mean, most people get training, education, etc. in anticipation of "future" demand. In the most part we were told that America is a "service" economy as our production jobs went overseas.
Yes, I saw that back in the 70s when I was a sprout just entering college. We were seeing the auto/steel/manufacturing jobs heading overseas, with those companies laying off workers here and paying for their "retraining" in local community colleges. At that time, the future looked to be in information technology and data processing. My 18-year-old butt sat in class alongside middle age men who said "well, I lost my job at the Ford plant, the job counselor told me that computers was gonna be the next big thang, so here I am."

Quote:
As fewer white collar AND production jobs come about... basically people are puzzled as to what kind of education, training, etc. they should do. At the moment there is a huge push towards nursing, lawyers and other "face-time" jobs... but guess what... there'll be a glut that'll probably push down wages and continue the problem job/career search.

-chuck22b
Yep, those middle age fellows I went to college with had children who followed their parents in the same field. Now they are the middle age IT-ers seeing their jobs outsourced to India. With their $60-100k jobs gone, mortgages to pay and a bleak outlook for retirement, they are telling their offspring to go into anything but a white collar job at a Fortune 500 or Big Box corporate headquarters.

Another reason I'm glad I never had kids. I look at my nieces and nephews and wonder what kind of future they'll have.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 PM

10,168 posts, read 18,156,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wouldn't you blame every American consumer as the traitor (including me and you)?
No, I wouldn't.

My wife and I recently refurnished a new place and did it all with furniture and furnishings made either in The United States or high wage nations that don't undercut American jobs but rather offer alternatives----fair trade.

A leather couch, several chairs, counter stools, cabinets and lamps made in The United States. A bedroom set, 2 leather chairs and bookcases from Denmark and a china cabinet from Canada.

I also bought some American made hi-fi gear, loudspeakers and a vacuum tube amplifier.

I wear Redwing workshoes and Allen Edmunds dress shoes, American made. Most of my clothing is American or Italian.

We also bought a set of All-Clad pots and pans, American made.

I put my money where my mouth is. And I'm no yuppie or rich swell, just a retired boilermaker who made a blue collar living. I'm willing to spend extra so my countrymen can do as well as I have. It's a small enough price to pay and pales to real sacrifices other Americans have made; you know, Valley Forge and all that.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:38 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,126,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No, I wouldn't.

My wife and I recently refurnished a new place and did it all with furniture and furnishings made either in The United States or high wage nations that don't undercut American jobs but rather offer alternatives----fair trade.

A leather couch, several chairs, counter stools, cabinets and lamps made in The United States. A bedroom set, 2 leather chairs and bookcases from Denmark and a china cabinet from Canada.

I also bought some American made hi-fi gear, loudspeakers and a vacuum tube amplifier.

I wear Redwing workshoes and Allen Edmunds dress shoes, American made. Most of my clothing is American or Italian.

I put my money where my mouth is. And I'm no yuppie or rich swell, just a retired boilermaker who made a blue collar living. I'm willing to spend extra so my countrymen can do as well as I have. It's a small enough price to pay and pales to real sacrifices other Americans have made; you know, Valley Forge and all that.
I think that is very decent of you to buy American even though the prices are high. My wife and I buy all of our furniture from the Amish. Last year I wanted a tall oak secretary desk. I went to a local furniture store and looked into purchasing one. The sales person told me it was made in China. I then went online to an Amish furniture maker and ordered it for this nice fellow. It cost me more but in was wonderful quality. I took a weekend to travel down from New York to Lancaster County P.A. to pick it up at this Amish fellow’s farm. You should have seen the happy look on his face when he saw I was happy with the furniture. Times have been hard economically on the Amish as well and I was glad to help them out.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,844 posts, read 37,540,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Yes, I saw that back in the 70s ... We were seeing the auto/steel/manufacturing jobs heading overseas, with those companies laying off workers here and paying for their "retraining" in local community colleges. ...IT-ers seeing their jobs outsourced to India. With their $60-100k jobs gone, ...telling their offspring to go into anything but a white collar job at a Fortune 500 or Big Box corporate headquarters....
BTDT... (in the 70's and beyond. ) I had 2 Asians sit in my cube for 1 yr and shadow me till I was axed 6 wks shy of retirement. (they both quit the company as soon as their visas were up)

But, I will bet big bucks (my previous $80k career ) that EDU is the next thing to be outsourced, and for good reason. The US has failed miserably in K-20 EDU, and is following a destructive path as we speak. Many (most) foreign gov's of developed nations are light-years ahead of USA. Multi-lingual + academic and arts proficient.

Too bad...

We homeschooled, and lived internationally (not that that was the best, but... the choice we made). As part of homeschool, each of our kids had to design and build a home from scratch, including getting septic installers license and digging the hole to doing all electrical and plumbing. Mom and Dad gave the pre-inspections, and all systems passed with flying colors. Thus they learned skills + each finished college by age 21 (they did college instead of High School, thanks to state funded program). I won't say they are 'fully equipped' for the 'new' economy, I recommended they each serve a 'trades' apprenticeship while going to college, but they didn't listen to me . (kids these days )

Outsourcing works only when your country is moving forward and leading the technologies and sciences. Do you think the USA is doing that? Possibly in some areas, but... places like Singapore have targeted Bio-tech for over 10 yrs and have strategically prepared their workforces... I don't see the US strategically planning anything but 'fluff' (entertainment culture).

Good luck on choosing your next career.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 AM

327 posts, read 820,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No, I wouldn't.

Kudos! This is my philosophy as well. I recently bought New Balance athletic shoes, made in the USA. Yes, the price was a bit steep, but worth every penny knowing another American family will be able to put food on the table because of my purchase. I'll be patronizing the local farmers' markets this summer. I refuse to purchase vegetables (frozen and fresh) shipped in from China and Mexico. What a sad, sad commentary on the state of our country today.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 AM

9,125 posts, read 5,678,843 times
I worked in the automotive industry as a non degreed design engineer for the past 17 years. I am currently unemployed (since Jan.) and don't see a change in that for at least 8-12 months. I have been a victim of the combination of offshoring and the auto crisis.
Now here's what I don't understand about "offshoring". The last three companies i've worked for have heavily pushed for first 15% , then 30% and eventually 75% of the work to be offshored. This started about 8 years ago in my field. Up until the end I did not see how it actually was a cost save. Time and time again we would have to completely redo the work we received from out "counterparts", sure some of the simple stuff was okay but I'd say about 75% had to be redone by someone here. Sometimes I'd see managers send work their just to appease their supervisors while having us do the work, usually when timing was short and it needed to be done right. All upper managment knew was that it was working , first because they set it up so the middle managment was at fault if they didn't hit their quota or work was screwed up. Second because they basically told the middle managers that "you will make it work , your job depends on it". When they first started sending work over to India I was told that they were doing the work for less than a third of what we were getting paid. If it was truly succesful I guess I could see the cost savings but being in the "worker bee" part of it, I saw it was anything but that. I could never understand how the numbers were being fudged to show that it worked.
Now with things being so bad and so many people are out of work, the payscale for us state side is about a third of what it used to be, while in the past years the price of the offshoring has crept up. So I still am failing to see the cost save. I actually don't think there ever was a cost save to doing this (at least in our industry) , but it was just the "business savvy" thing to do and it made the shareholders happy to see their investments being "globalized". In the meantime we are losing all the talent for our skilled trades, machinists, diemakers, moldmakers, designers, etc are being forgotten. The people that know this stuff are being forced out of the career and knowone is being passed along the trade. Our "offshore" counterparts aren't really learning the trade , they are just doing exactly what was ever in the Powerpoint document they received. They are not being taught so again the knowledge is being lost. Our country is going to be in a world of hurt , in the next few generations when all of these bad decisions truly catch up. It's just very sad. I for one don't buy all the "being global" is good as well as "offshoring" , they are just buzzwords used in a board room by the coporate thieves.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:02 AM

26,589 posts, read 53,010,643 times
I don't have a problem with outsourcing. I have a problem with offshore outsourcing. The money we pay Rameesh in India doesn't get reinvested on our country.

That's another reason I've got a problem with the H1B visa program, that money doesn't stay here, it gets sent back to whatever cesspool the worker is from.

Back to outsourcing, there are definitely times when it's the better way to go for a company. I just outsourced a graphics project, because my payroll hours are better spent on other tasks. It's staying local with a small business, and that money will end up back in our local economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics