U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,419,244 times

Advertisements

A long time ago, there was a shop in my home town...right by the overpass for the train tracks. Inside that magical little store was a small room. Inside that small room was a big hearted bloke who sold ice cream. I don't know where the ice cream came from - but - I can still taste it. That richness, and the sourness of those blueberry cones were a sensation that even to this day I want to relive. You could get 1, 2, 3 or even a 4 scoop monster. He had cones that were sort of like a fleur de lis shape for 3 scoops...and he'd plunk the 4th scoop right in the middle of all three. The big hearted man would say, "Hey kid! What do you want? Blueberry, right?"

I'd nod my head and say, "Yes sir!" and my magical moment would begin.

So, what does this have to do with business?

Auto suppliers urge lawmakers to protect base - Autos- msnbc.com

That shop eventually closed. He got ran out by someone who could do it much cheaper, and in greater quantities. The fat, jolly old man was replaced by a freezer full of "Good Time" (Can't remember the brand) choco pies and those 5 color frozen things with 40 different types of food coloring. I kept waiting for him to come back, but his section was closed and was eventually filled with cigarettes and gum. Eventually, the store closed. Other (mega gas marts) stores came into the nighborhood and the proprieter of the store - seeing the writing on the wall - called it quits.

That store is still there. No one wants to buy it. It's in a horrible location, off the main drag. Last time I drove by, it was still dark. It's been dark for 19 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,124,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
A long time ago, there was a shop in my home town...right by the overpass for the train tracks. Inside that magical little store was a small room. Inside that small room was a big hearted bloke who sold ice cream. I don't know where the ice cream came from - but - I can still taste it. That richness, and the sourness of those blueberry cones were a sensation that even to this day I want to relive. You could get 1, 2, 3 or even a 4 scoop monster. He had cones that were sort of like a fleur de lis shape for 3 scoops...and he'd plunk the 4th scoop right in the middle of all three. The big hearted man would say, "Hey kid! What do you want? Blueberry, right?"

I'd nod my head and say, "Yes sir!" and my magical moment would begin.

So, what does this have to do with business?

Auto suppliers urge lawmakers to protect base - Autos- msnbc.com

That shop eventually closed. He got ran out by someone who could do it much cheaper, and in greater quantities. The fat, jolly old man was replaced by a freezer full of "Good Time" (Can't remember the brand) choco pies and those 5 color frozen things with 40 different types of food coloring. I kept waiting for him to come back, but his section was closed and was eventually filled with cigarettes and gum. Eventually, the store closed. Other (mega gas marts) stores came into the nighborhood and the proprieter of the store - seeing the writing on the wall - called it quits.

That store is still there. No one wants to buy it. It's in a horrible location, off the main drag. Last time I drove by, it was still dark. It's been dark for 19 years.
I can't tell you how many times I have felt the same way. Every time I bite into a Hershey bar or some other food delight I feel as if I have been cheated. Itís all about chemical enhancers and new food colors these days to make it food more appetizing.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 AM

12,476 posts, read 16,978,812 times
So what exactly is your point?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,285,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
So what exactly is your point?
lol... I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he was high when he typed it? Dunno. Went right over my head thats for sure.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:53 AM

28,384 posts, read 67,987,556 times
Maybe Willie Wonka should help Detroit make fruit flavored cars?

My take is that the stories we are seeing are not the real crux of the matter. The real problem is that there is a tug-of-war between very "dug in" sides. It is not clear just how many sides have ropes, and it is equally unclear if any one side can pull too hard with out all the other parties ending up in the river and washed over the falls...

Clearly the UAW sees this as the their last stand -- if the auto makers file for bankruptcy there will be no more UAW.

Similarly the smaller parts suppliers have everything to lose and not much to gain.

There are a whole lot of things that MIGHT be for sale in GM land, some of it is too valuable to let go.

The old men that run GM and Chrysler and Ford really have a ton to lose.

The upstarts that have money sunk into a very different way to transport people (from the Prius to Honda to Smart Cars to the high performance electic only car makers) would dearly love to see a giant floor put under their prices.

The lunatic fringe really hates the SUV loving American public too.

Bad things are going to happen for a lot of people, and only a handful will come out OK...

Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,879,362 times
I think I will make some "Delicious blueberry ice cream" this summer... But I sure do like my homemade strawberry ice cream.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:16 PM

17,749 posts, read 15,036,578 times
There is a lesson here somewhere. The one I learned is if its bad food, I don't bother eating it. Want to lose weight ? Eat better food that takes time. You will lose your taste for cheap, quick food. I also tend to watch less TV as a result. If the food is actually good, I wish to devote the entirety of my brain to it rather than have a bit left over for some ethereal distracted sense of something salty, fatty or sugary about the tongue but not quite sure exactly.

I also have a solution to this. Blueberry season is near, so buy it, freeze it and make ice cream out of it. I have not been around long enough to ramp up pawpaws and Saskatoons( no blue berries, need too much acid) but I have been meaning to try ground cherry ice cream. I used them all for pie and yogurt last year.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM

You can view it in a lot of different ways. And incidently, I'm in Iraq.... I have no booze nor pills. Tell me exactly how to get high without self-asphyxiating. I suppose I could huff some MOGAS. That might work.

Dinosaurs must die. While the blueberry icecream was delicious, it could not last. It had to make way for the cheap, air filled gelatinized crap that rolled out of some factory in 20 ton trucks.

If the dinosaur dies, then everything in the dinosaur's world must change. I read this article and thought of horse whip and buggy manfacturers. Should we subsidize those, still? Oh, no! That makes no sense! Then why should be subsidize a company that provides blueberries to the blueberry ice cream man? Or parts to a manfacturer that has decided not to make any cars?

People bought lots of cars because there was a bubble. That same amount of sales can not happen unless there is another credit bubble. We will have to sustain these parts manufacturers until that bubble exists again with our tax dollars.

Here you go. No symbolism.

I think the idea presented in the article sucks.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:51 PM

12,476 posts, read 16,978,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I think the idea presented in the article sucks.
The point is not to keep manufacturing at bubble levels, but if too many auto part manufactures go out of business than it will be difficult for a new US auto industry to be created out of the dust. As these places go out of business there is a lot of knowledge lost, we are not taking about blueberries here.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:39 PM

...the supplier industry is in crisis and during the shutdowns many suppliers will have no choice but to permanently close their facilities this summer. The trade group is urging Congress and the Obama administration to provide direct financial assistance to parts suppliers.

That's straight from the article. I guess it makes sense. We'll just give them money until more cars are needed. Sort of like paying farmers not to grow crops, except in this case, we'll pay people not to make car parts.

Maybe we can just give them 85 percent of their normal pay and keep them in a job bank or something, in case we need them.

UAW Says It Will Try To Preserve GM Workers ' 'Job Bank '=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or