U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,284,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Actually, I did read the article. And he makes excuse after excuse as to why he is in the situation he is in. And it appeared to me that his excuses, explanations, rationales, and denials are an attempt to elicit sympathy. He thought he could beat the odds, he was in love, he was just like all the "otherwise sane Americans". It could happen to anybody. Well I disagree; it couldn't happen to anybody. It didn't happen to most of us. But we are the ones that have to now foot the bill. If he isn't asking for sympathy, he's asking for understanding, and he isn't going to get either from me.
Amen! Preach on! I'm leaving you a rep point now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 04:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,513,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Actually, I did read the article. And he makes excuse after excuse as to why he is in the situation he is in. And it appeared to me that his excuses, explanations, rationales, and denials are an attempt to elicit sympathy. He thought he could beat the odds, he was in love, he was just like all the "otherwise sane Americans". It could happen to anybody. Well I disagree; it couldn't happen to anybody. It didn't happen to most of us. But we are the ones that have to now foot the bill. If he isn't asking for sympathy, he's asking for understanding, and he isn't going to get either from me.
I disagree. He is not trying to elicit sympathy or make up excuses for himself. He is simply telling his own personal story. I found it amusing. He's a good writer!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,678,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I disagree. He is not trying to elicit sympathy or make up excuses for himself. He is simply telling his own personal story. I found it amusing. He's a good writer!
I agree. Just because someone wants to tell his story and make some money on it doesn't mean he's looking for sympathy or making excuses. He's probably doing more good than the judgemental whiners on this forum.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,070,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I agree. Just because someone wants to tell his story and make some money on it doesn't mean he's looking for sympathy or making excuses. He's probably doing more good than the judgemental whiners on this forum.
You do make one point. He's trying to make money on it. I guess a lot of people will buy his book in order to feel vindicated about their own situations. After all, it would probably feel somewhat comforting to know that someone with his supposed knowledge and expertise screwed up too. But I still read it as someone trying to make excuses for his behavior.

Guess we can agree to disagree.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,449,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
I read the whole article on this guy that worked for the NYT'S and I'm beginning to think its made up to sell a book etc. I'm not sure anyone can be that stupid.
That's what I'm wondering, how much of all of this is true. To have your whole salary go to a mortgage sounds a bit over the top.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM

7,475 posts, read 19,573,579 times
He sucked you all in..! He is writing a book. The guy is loaded...

Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,630,071 times
The person who signed the papers to get the mortgage is at fault. If you don't fully understand what you are signing and the implications don't sign until you fully understand.

And these stories seem to all be the same. Bad decisions.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM

5,500 posts, read 19,513,009 times
Quote:
I agree. Just because someone wants to tell his story and make some money on it doesn't mean he's looking for sympathy or making excuses. He's probably doing more good than the judgmental whiners on this forum.
Exactly. He was telling his story.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,284,950 times
Quote:

Says the person who is probably behind on their mortgage.

He might not be looking for sympathy.. but he sure does have some sympathizers on this board. I wonder why?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:18 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,488,886 times
Good story, seems to be very common in the US...though might as well make some money on your pain if you are eloquent enough to tell it. It's a good story to say it's not one set of people's fault, it's everyone's enthusiastic ignorance that played a part...and it's a cycle that's played throughout history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or