Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 AM

271 posts, read 251,470 times

Advertisements

I sold a payphone on eBay. I tried to tell the buyer that I did not want paypal but they sent the payment through PayPal anyway. I got a 21 day hold and refused to ship. They buyer got the same thing that was shown in the photo in the same condition. He must have assumed that the phone was an original payphone from the phone company. He never asked any questions as to what he thought he was bidding on. I waited until the payment cleared and transferred it to my bank account. The buyer did not like the phone and did a "not as described" and PayPal took his side. Now my account is in the negative 150$. I guess PayPal has screwed dog on this one. Cause I am not going to put one thin dime into that account. Screw PayPal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:14 AM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
There's actually a fairly popular scam where buyers get something, file a complaint, get the paypal refund and keep the item...you would absolutely not catch me using paypal as a seller of anything. Just one reason I quit using ebay when they started requiring it...

Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Last year someone was able to get a PayPal credit card using my wife's name and personal information. She has never had a PayPal account of any kind. We suspect they may have gotten her personal information via a half.com used book purchase she made. Apparently PayPal allowed someone to apply for the card online, and gave them the card number online allowing them to immediately start charging eBay purchases to it.

We received the credit card in the mail and destroyed it thinking it was just one of those fake credit cards that some companies mail out when they are trying to get you to sign up for a credit card account. Then at the end of the month we received a PayPal credit card bill for around $1,000. We immediatly disputed it and PayPal investigated and sent us a letter saying we were not responsible for the bill. They never would tell us what was purchased or who the purchases were sent to.

Later that year I checked our credit records and found they had posted a bad credit report on my wife's records but the amount had increased to over $1,500 with no notification to us. We disputed it again and had it removed from her records. But what the H*** were they thinking reporting it against her credit records after they admitted she had no responsibility for it?

I checked our credit records again yesterday and found an address in a state where my wife has never lived associated with her personal information. We disputed it and hopefully it will be removed, but I'm wondering if it is the address for the person who stole her identity in obtaining the credit card.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
I sold a payphone on eBay. I tried to tell the buyer that I did not want paypal but they sent the payment through PayPal anyway. I got a 21 day hold and refused to ship. They buyer got the same thing that was shown in the photo in the same condition. He must have assumed that the phone was an original payphone from the phone company. He never asked any questions as to what he thought he was bidding on. I waited until the payment cleared and transferred it to my bank account. The buyer did not like the phone and did a "not as described" and PayPal took his side. Now my account is in the negative 150$. I guess PayPal has screwed dog on this one. Cause I am not going to put one thin dime into that account. Screw PayPal.
PayPal very well could show this on your credit record if you don't get it straightened out.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
I use paypal whenever possible after a company charged my mastercard three times for a purchase. I like that nobody gets to see the number.

You do not say if the phone was returned. That was the buyers responsibilty to do so. You can contact ebay with regards to this. But paypal is very particular about the description of items sold on ebay. If you implied that it was an origional phone in the wording they would take the buyers side. I always read over descriptions closely and if they seem ambiguous I don't buy. Any product that could be misinterpretated should always be specified as origional or not.

If the product has been returned you owe the buyer the money. If not then you don't. If not, have you contacted paypal to specify that the item was not returned?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
I have been using Paypal for years and have not had any major problem with them, I can't even remember the last time I had to fight a claim as a seller with them. As a buyer I've always gotten my money back from crappy merchants.

Paypal is not going to go for the whole "No returns" thing though.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I have been using Paypal for years and have not had any major problem with them, I can't even remember the last time I had to fight a claim as a seller with them. As a buyer I've always gotten my money back from crappy merchants.

Paypal is not going to go for the whole "No returns" thing though.
Looking through their site for some stuff they don't have in the store here, I discovered that Walmart now accepts Paypal. I had an internet business a few years ago and had some returns from dissatifified customers who didn't deserve them, but they were few and some online customers do NOT like to use their credit/debit card numbers.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
I never had any issues with Paypal when I sold or bought on Ebay.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:46 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
I ****ing HATE Paypal.

I JUST got my account back from negative 150. I still dont know how.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I ****ing HATE Paypal.

I JUST got my account back from negative 150. I still dont know how.
If the phone is still in the buyers possession, he/she can't get it reversed. They don't let you void a sale but get to keep it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics