Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:44 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times

Advertisements

I recall when I was closing to graduating college back in 1995 I went to a job interview posted at the school I was attending, Ramapo College of New Jersey. I had worked for a number of large companies as an office clerical, including American Cyanamid. Because American Cyanamid was a government contractor, I had to wait seven weeks before they could officially hire me.

This company produced airport security devices in New Jersey was looking for a college graduate to help in their customer service department. One of the requirement was they had to be familiar with computers. I fell in love with computers early on. Up until my recent purchase of a notebook I built all my own computers. I was called up by the company's new 30 some thing customer service manager who came from Coke Cola. She and I hit it off right away. The interview stretched on for about an hour and a half. She told me the company needed an online computer production system to replace the clumsy paper system they had been using for years which helped delay their customer’s orders.

I was thrilled at the prospect of the job. Just being a part of a team dedicated to restructuring the way a company did business through the use computers was a challenge I had dreamed of. The meeting ended by her saying that she and I share the same ideas and that she wanted me to meet with her bosses for a second interview. I was thrilled.

The next day one of the company secretaries called me up and asked me to come in for a second interview. When I arrived at the plant I had to wait about thirty minutes for two older female managers conducting the interview. They seemed surprised at my appearance and told me they were expecting a woman. Next they lost or did not have one of the three copies of my resume I gave to my initial interviewer. I always carried a few with me and happily gave them a copy. These two women, whose ages were between 40 and 50, did not even glance at my resume.

They asked me a number of questions which I answered without a hitch. Then they asked me a question which stumped me. The question was "What would you do if a client from Italy, who did not know English, needed to find out about an order? I was told that there wasn’t any one at the plant which spoke Italian and I would have to handle it on my own. I could not answer the question. I tried coming up with a number of answers but none seemed to answer the question. After that I was thanked for coming and hurriedly walk to the exit. I never heard from them again.

A week after the second interview and while at college I spoke to my business professors about the interview and all that was said. I wanted to know what answers I could have given that could have answered that last and strange question. What he said opened my eyes. He told me I was stoned walled and it was meant to get rid of me as a possible employee. Even more so he told me because my generation (Xer) was fascinated by computers and their use, I was a danger to their job security. Many baby boomers seems to be confused or unintereted in learing about computers. The company resisted up grading to computers even though corporations like American Cyanamid which I had worked for used them as a front line tool. By keeping me out they made sure their job security was intact.

I have often wondered how people at the top of many corporations will look away at their own company's success by depriving the very thing that keeps them profitable; change, just for the sake of defusing or eliminating possible competitors or adversaries within their own company. I wanted to call the young manager who was eager to hire me and speak to her about what had happened but I let it go. I had a feeling over the course of the next few months she would begin to see what she was up against. I did not envy the fight she was going to have to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 05:01 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,772 times
Stop living in the past and move on.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Stop living in the past and move on.
I'm trying to make a statement how we as a nation and society put aside what was good and right in terms of our commitments and wondered into the shade of self interest and greed. You really must look further to find the answers. For me I began to notice great changes during the early 90s. Since I am a teacher of history I will teach you this old lesson. If you don't try to understand the past, you will never succeed in the future. You will continue to make the same mistake continually. In reality we are all living in the past since what began some twenty years ago has only worsened many times over.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I'm trying to make a statement how we as a nation and society put aside what was good and right in terms of our commitments and wondered into the shade of self interest and greed. You really must look further to find the answers. For me I began to notice great changes during the early 90s. Since I am a teacher of history I will teach you this old lesson. If you don't try to understand the past, you will never succeed in the future. You will continue to make the same mistake continually. In reality we are all living in the past since what began some twenty years ago has only worsened many times over.
So what you are saying is.. if we learn from our mistakes we will make better decisions in the future? Hmmm.. let me think about this one.. oh yeah.. I think.. no one has learned a damn thing from the past.. we continue to make the same stupid mistakes we did in the past.. and they continue to haunt us.. We live in the past day in and day out..

How many times have you tried to tell a young kid.. what he/she should or shouldnt be doing?? How many times have they listened? This is human nature.. we will continue to do what we want when we want.. and make the same mistakes our fore fathers made back in the day..

Technologically we have advanced.. but that has to come with time.. the stupid thing is.. we are a lot smarter now then we were 100s of years ago.. but are we really that smart? We continue to make the same dumb stupid simple mistakes that people made back in the day.. how far have we really come?

Old 05-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
So what you are saying is.. if we learn from our mistakes we will make better decisions in the future? Hmmm.. let me think about this one.. oh yeah.. I think.. no one has learned a damn thing from the past.. we continue to make the same stupid mistakes we did in the past.. and they continue to haunt us.. We live in the past day in and day out..

How many times have you tried to tell a young kid.. what he/she should or shouldnt be doing?? How many times have they listened? This is human nature.. we will continue to do what we want when we want.. and make the same mistakes our fore fathers made back in the day..

Technologically we have advanced.. but that has to come with time.. the stupid thing is.. we are a lot smarter now then we were 100s of years ago.. but are we really that smart? We continue to make the same dumb stupid simple mistakes that people made back in the day.. how far have we really come?
I hope you are wrong. It seems that every war humanity fights is worse than the last. According to your statement we are stupid and can't learn from our mistakes. If this is the case we will one day destroy our selves.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Quote:
I hope you are wrong. It seems that every war humanity fights is worse than the last. According to your statement we are stupid and can't learn from our mistakes. If this is the case we will one day destroy our selves.
Ahh yes.. and I am sure that you already knew that.. the smarter we get in making things gets us dumber in protecting ourselves.. sooner or later .. this earth will fall to our own stupidity...

Old 05-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
As someone who is successful in life and quite happy let me give you a lesson. Stop dwelling on the problem and start focusing on the solution. You're not going to change the world and no one cares about your stuggles or upsets.

My life is 1,000,000x better than it was in 1995. I wouldn't go back for anything.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Ahh yes.. and I am sure that you already knew that.. the smarter we get in making things gets us dumber in protecting ourselves.. sooner or later .. this earth will fall to our own stupidity...
Yeah I do. One can only hope but I have witnessed so many dumb things lately I am dumbfounded.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
As someone who is successful in life and quite happy let me give you a lesson. Stop dwelling on the problem and start focusing on the solution. You're not going to change the world and no one cares about your stuggles or upsets.

My life is 1,000,000x better than it was in 1995. I wouldn't go back for anything.
If you think your money has made you a better person, you are delusional. I will give you another lesson which I learned from my grandparents and has made me watchful of what goes around me. The holocaust took most of my family’s descendants simply because they were Jews. For many Jews we have become unofficially watchers and witnesses so that governments like the Nazi don't rise again. The best defense is to be vigilant. If I was to take your position I would be one less person to concentrate on what is really important. So you see we hold opposite positions. I value substance while you cling to style.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Who said anything about money? I just said I was successful in life.

You sound more and more like a dingbat with every post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics