Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/16/he...sick.html?_r=1

Business groups are vowing to block the legislation, arguing that the recession makes this an inopportune time to create a new mandate that they say would raise costs for employers.

“Given that small businesses are barely able to keep their heads above water in this economy, we don’t think this is the right legislation to be pushing right now,” said Susan Eckerly, senior vice president at the National Federation of Independent Business, which represents small-business owners.

--------

If they will go forward with this bill, more people will loose their job and only the very healthy young people will be hired....just as in Europe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/16/he...sick.html?_r=1
----If they will go forward with this bill, more people will loose their job and only the very healthy young people will be hired....just as in Europe!
Perhaps it has escaped your attention, but every time a "Best place to Live" or Best Quality of Life" survey comes out from Forbes or Mercer or one of those other business journals, Europe typically comes out with all the top 10 places. Canadian cities also rank high. America usually fails to place anywhere in the top 50.

No sick leave, no universal health care, no guaranteed maternity leave--the US also has the world's worst drug use problem and the world's largest prison population.

Yep, clearly we're doing everything right here in the US to invest in the health and welfare of our people. Business is everything and profiteering is king. The sick can rot and die on their own nickel.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Perhaps it has escaped your attention, but every time a "Best place to Live" or Best Quality of Life" survey comes out from Forbes or Mercer or one of those other business journals, Europe typically comes out with all the top 10 places. Canadian cities also rank high. America usually fails to place anywhere in the top 50.

No sick leave, no universal health care, no guaranteed maternity leave--the US also has the world's worst drug use problem and the world's largest prison population.

Yep, clearly we're doing everything right here in the US to invest in the health and welfare of our people. Business is everything and profiteering is king. The sick can rot and die on their own nickel.
Oh snap....

Old 05-21-2009, 11:27 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

How's the unemployment rate over there?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:03 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,320 times
Don't want to sound dismissive, but isn't it the same tactic and whining you heard from Detroit over the past, I don't know, 30 years? Every time there was an attempt to increase minimal mileage, Detroit will throw out the "costly regulation" card to derail the plan. Now what? The companies that live under the freest "free market" economy went bankrupt and have been living by government money for six month while the companies living under "onerous regulation" survived. Pirus was the result of regulation while unregulated environment produced Hummer. Excuse me, seem to me "free market" here sucks. And don't even bother with the so called "innovation" and "productivity", we're in such dire strait precisely because there were so much "innovation" going on in our economy.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Gotta get ....to Europe.

More than a million French workers took to the streets Thursday to voice anger and fear of job losses during a one-day strike over President Nicolas Sarkozy's handling of the economic crisis.
Billed as a "Black Thursday," the nationwide day of action caused less transport disruption than expected but the strike was well supported, with a quarter of France's five million public sector workers downing tools.

"It's not up to workers to pay for the bankers," read one banner. "The bosses caused the crisis, let them pay for it!" said another, while a third declared: "Hands off our public services!"

The Raw Story | More than a million French workers protest economic conditions

ANyone starting to notice a trend here? People want services, and can't pay for everything they want, get all "demandy" and then order breaks down.

Imagine California, when they go bankrupt. Mass exodus? I know if it was me...well.....

I'm sort of a self preservationist. While I'd die for my wife and kids, and suffer hardships to save a friend (and depending on the situation, might even die) I have a tendency to see the writing on the wall and get the hell out of Dodge.

One thing you will always see someone say in "employment" threads...."Well, you can always move."
Can you? Can you "always move?" What if there is nothing to move to? What if it's financially impossible? I moved from Georgia to Seattle. It took roughly ~6K. I checked into having someone move my home furnishings for me, and the price of the truck and two guys alone was 7500 bucks. So, I did it myself. 1600 truck rental. 900 gas. Room and board for 7 nights to get to Seattle. Renting a room for a month while I looked for work at 60 a day. That took 2 months-ish. 3600 bucks right there. + the food and booze for those two months. Booze ..60 a day.. another 3600 bucks right there.

/made you blink.

Just kidding, but yeah.. you can't ignore the cost of good beer. What? I had 24 hours X 2 months to kill. You can't job hunt every minute! Impossible! You must have cool down time. Come here, Oh sweet liquid of life.

I know you can chuck it all in a trunk and roll like a college kid, and donate the rest to Goodwill, but I have a wife, two kids, and 13 years worth of "accumulations" to bring with me.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,552 times
I think it's a good idea. If someone is really sick, with let's say the flu, I don't want them around me. Stay home!! But if a worker fears being fired or not getting paid, guess what they'll come in to work! I prefer my employees stay home and get better than come and infect everyone!I have been lucky to have paid sick leave with my full time employers, but when I was part time, I was SOL.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I think it's a good idea. If someone is really sick, with let's say the flu, I don't want them around me. Stay home!! But if a worker fears being fired or not getting paid, guess what they'll come in to work! I prefer my employees stay home and get better than come and infect everyone!I have been lucky to have paid sick leave with my full time employers, but when I was part time, I was SOL.
It is good for people who are really sick to get paid...but what happens, people stay home for nothing specially on Mondays or Fridays!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
It all comes from the same pie. If the government mandates more sick days or increased vacation time, businesses are going to take the money from somewhere else-- like wages or health care-- to pay for them. It won't result in increased productivity, so it will become revenue-neutral.

No way companies are going to absorb these costs. They'll either be balanced with a reduction in something else or passed along to the end user. Or both. Government meddling in private enterprise comes at a price.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Big Brother. It's slowly creeping into every facet of America via small steps like this.
The government telling business how to operate is not the job of the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics